Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Hi! Im New To The Game!

Bryan13

So hi guys wat up! i played this game like way way way back in the day and now me and my girlfriend want to get back into it.. im kinda learning to play again.. and then ima show my girlfriend. So want i would like to ask is where should i get started? Wat are the funnest decks out there? Wat are the tier1 decks? Wats the meta like? Wat packs should i buy or theme decks to get a tier1 deck going? thanks guys! hope to get lots of info.. if you guys have any other info thanks!

Tier 1 = Gardevoir SW/Gallade SW, Magmortar SW w/ Typho or Blaziken or Togekiss.

Majestic dawn is pretty good and the pre releases are this weekend for americans. We Got ours early cause australia is cool. Umm I reckon Secret wonders has the best cards in it.

Most of the meta is Gardevoir SW and Gallade SW.

Cheers.

Yeah I'm guessing your name is Bryan? Pika* is on the right track but neglected to mention a few things. The tier 1 decks are changing, a new set is being released and things are starting over. The meta game is in disarray because of the new set and new advantages and disadvantages being opened up by the release of Majestic Dawn. There's not much to be said about the format right now until Majestic Dawn has been out a few weeks and we figure out more combos and better techs. Gardevoir/Gallade decks have lost an enormous amount of pull in the format. Magmortar will be short changed, and the eeveelutions are coming to power.

SW is short for Diamond and Pearl: Secret Wonders expansion. Check the scans for the Gallade and Magmortar cards as well as anything mentioned here.

Magmortar theme deck (Secret Wonders) has, well, Magmortar, so it's probally the best. But, just to let you know... all theme decks are bad. Just get cards from theme decks, then make decks with them.

Tier 1 decks: Gardevoir/Gallade (G&G) - more Gallade oriented, the strategy is simple, just do tons of damage with Gallade, then bring out Gardevoir Lv.X and Bring everything Down.
Magmorar/Typhlosion/Delcatty (Fire TRUK) - The original version of Magmortar decks, it's now overshadowed by Magken, but the strategy is to discard Energy with Delcatty, Firestarter it back to Magmortar, so your really attaching 2 Fire Energy per turn.
Magmortar/Blaziken/Claydol (Magken): The new version of Magmortar, Magken has Blaziken Power Keepers instead of Typhlosion, Claydol instead of Delcatty, and Blaziken Great Encounters as a secondery attacker.
Gardevoir (PLOX) - still has Gallade, like G&G, but here it's waaaay more Gardevoir oriented, and it has Claydol. The strategy is to Psychic Lock opponent's, use Team Galactic's Wager to reduce their hand size, then stop their Claydol (and all other Powers too).
Banette (T2 Banette) - strategy is to get Banette out Turn 2 with a Banette in the discard (pretty easy) and hit for 80. 160 against anything Psychic weak with Lake Boundary in play.
Ho-Oh/Togekiss (Skittles) - put Energy onto Ho-Oh with Togekiss and pwn... lol.

The best advice I can give to a new player is: be patient. This card game is too complex and too dynamic for a person (obviously with exceptions) to just jump right in and understand everything. This goes for returning players, as well. However, it is well worth it to stick around and familiarize yourself. Once you learn the game and start to keep up with its changes, it'll become a lot of fun for you. Until then, you may get frustrated, but again, it's well worth sticking it out.

But, just to let you know... all theme decks are bad. Just get cards from theme decks, then make decks with them.

For opening right out of a box and jumping into a tournament: Yes. They are pretty bad.
For opening out of a box, playing with similarly structured decks, finding out what works and what doesn't: No.
The theme decks are including better and better cards in them. You can expect to find the supporters in a set within its starter decks, for one thing (IE: Mysterious Treasures starter decks have the highly useful Bebe's Search in them. Secret Wonders starter decks have Rosanne's Network, another amazing card).

An observation: Pokemon is one of those games where you can win even with less experience then others. One of the top 10 players in my state started playing the game only this last August (well, sometime around then), and top cuts frequently. Give the game a bit of time, and it'll make sense.

If you're looking towards the cheaper end, both Kricketune and Banette can be made for very little investment-wise, as neither require expensive cards like Rare Candy, and both use simple, non-holo rares and stuff. Banette is generally more competitive and used since it can beat G&G, but Kricketune (at least I still find) has decent match-ups as well.

so ive been looking around the forums and it seems like GG is a good deck

but it seemd like a cookie cutter so i was thinking about makeing a

Eeveelutions
or
Banette
Deck..

Which one would you guys say is better.. and where would i start by getting things for the deck?

Eeveelutions will be better, Banette will be cheaper. Ebay singles, buy rare cards you need for your deck, then buy some MD or GE boosters and trade for the commons and uncommons. Also on Ebay sometimes you can get whole bunches of legal trainers, they aren't the best but it's the best deal.

I'm a new player as well, so thanks for posting this thread. Also a big thanks to everyone for the insightful replies.

Best of luck to you in your attempt to get back into the game. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of your Eeveelution deck!

hello.. sorry if bringing a old topic back is bad lol.

well im still new and i want to learn. i see that a new season is starting and i want to play?

what format is it and how long will the format last for? What are some of the decks to beat and top tier?

ive looked around and seems to me that kindra is?

is this true?

what kind of deck should i run if i want to play competieve?

Back