Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

High hopes falling. (Thoughts from contents of EX: Dragons Theme Decks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysterioustrainer

Well I just obtained my EX: Dragon theme decks today. I did get two holos I don't have yet, and the decks are fun to play with. However I checked the P.O.P. ad (from the card checklist) on information on future organized play plans and they have really cut back on the information in comparison to the Sandstorm Checklist Ad. All they mention is just League (already have), Sactioned Tournaments (already have), Prerelease Tournaments (already have), and Championships Events. There is nothing on the Gym Ladder, or specific details on the City/State Championships, the Challenge Series, or Worlds. I have a strong feeling from this ad, there may not be as much as Nintendo originally planned. You never know. What do you think?

P.S. for information on the deck lists on the Theme Decks see my topic in the decks forum.

Let's not jump to conclusions. The Gym Ladder, City/State Championships, Worlds, and Worlds qualifiers were advertised as far back as last summer's conventions. POP would not release this information if it was not final or in the works. And trust me... there's been too many talks about it to not be in the works.

Now all we need is some locations for Worlds topic. I'm not a wagering man, heck I can't gamble, but I'll put my chips on Florida or California. ;)
-Phil

Last edited:
Hey there is no reason to be dissapointed yet. I am probably the most impatient about the OP structure. I want Worlds, States, Challenges as much as everyone else. Nintendo will come through and if they don't they will have a ton of people quit. A lot of pressure eh?
As far as where Worlds in going to be, i thought i read somewhere it is in Seattle again, but i would love for it to be San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, LA or even Vegas. Florida is pretty far from California and i wouldn't be able to afford that unless they gave away trips to 15+ =/

Hey let's hope that Worlds are held here at the center of Pokemon/Nintendo here in the great Northwest........

Seattle!!!!

Pokeplayer

mysterioustrainer said:
Two rares and a holo, which I think is not that bad.

Yeah, but before we got three rares and a holo - which makes sense, since the theme decks cost 3x as much as a pack...

Well...would you rather have them tell you something's coming up really soon but then it never happens and you all get mad?

I prefer it to be in Seattle again for obvious reasons. But I wouldn't mind it being in California, like San Francisco or Las Vegas (any bets on who wins?).

I for one don't expect to see City Championships. There MIGHT be State Championships. But, I expect to see some kind of regional championships that will feed the World Championship. I also expect to see rankings playing a major role in who gets invited to the Worlds.

Listen, there's not enough players to support City Championships (except for maybe less-than-a-handful number of locations). Plus, city boundaries are often ill-defined. State and regional Championships are more feasible and tend to weed out the casual players from the more competitive players.

As for the location of Worlds, no matter where they have it, only the dedicated, loyal players and fans will show. So, just about any place that is a decent tourist spot is okay with me. Hey, how about Colorado/Utah in the winter. There's no better place in all the US for skiing.

Last edited:
I imagine City Championships are regionally placed, but with so few leagues even running in some states, I doubt the Gym Ladder will be a wide scale event.
-Phil

There is a major Pokemon centrality that would be very practical, but they always seem to overlook it. Pittsburgh, PA. Yes, Pittsburgh. I know a lot of people that play Pokemon and who would love to compete in major tournaments.

We have the space to do it too. We have a brand new convention center which is big enough to hold 2 STS's at once, and we have a convention center in Monroville that would also be available.

The last major tournament had pretty much no showing. But you wanna know why? The tournament was scheduled on a MONDAY DURING SCHOOL HOURS!!! I don't know what they were thinking.

Anyway, I hope they consider Pittsburgh again.

Yeah, Pennsylvania could have a major tournament. True, I'm speaking because I live there, but it's not located in a corner of the U.S. It is on one side of the country, and at least it's not in a far corner as Washington was, or California/Florida would be. Even New York City would suffice. It's only the biggest city in the country...

Regardless, let's just give Nintendo a bit more time... *remembers saying this same thing months ago, a number of times for that matter* The Dragon Prereleases had a big turnout, so I'm sure they'll continue with large tournaments.
What I'd like to see is State tournaments. City would just be pointless, as each city only really HAS one league. It would just be like a normal league tournament.

Just have the 50 state tournaments, and have other countries have similar state tournaments, then just have Worlds afterwards. Whatever they decide to do, let's just hope it materializes. :)

Last edited:
Baboon said:
Yeah, Pennsylvania could have a major tournament. True, I'm speaking because I live there, but it's not located in a corner of the U.S. It is on one side of the country, and at least it's not in a far corner as Washington was, or California/Florida would be. Even New York City would suffice. It's only the biggest city in the country...

Regardless, let's just give Nintendo a bit more time... *remembers saying this same thing months ago, a number of times for that matter* The Dragon Prereleases had a big turnout, so I'm sure they'll continue with large tournaments.
What I'd like to see is State tournaments. City would just be pointless, as each city only really HAS one league. It would just be like a normal league tournament.

Just have the 50 state tournaments, and have other countries have similar state tournaments, then just have Worlds afterwards. Whatever they decide to do, let's just hope it materializes. :)

New York is pretty much in a far corner too. Despite the fact that I live in Florida(one of the proposed locations for worlds), I think the most fair location would be St. Louis or Kansas City, due to being in the middle of the country

Yes, St. Louis or Kansas City would be more geographically in the center, but the majority of the population doesn't live in the center of the country, rather to either side for the most part. Making it in the middle of the country would just mean a very large percent of everyone would have to travel a very far way. Making this Worlds on the east coast would be more reasonable, as #1- more people live in the east, and #2- it was in the west last time... Still, whatever they do is better than nothing.

Baboon said:
Yes, St. Louis or Kansas City would be more geographically in the center, but the majority of the population doesn't live in the center of the country, rather to either side for the most part. Making it in the middle of the country would just mean a very large percent of everyone would have to travel a very far way. Making this Worlds on the east coast would be more reasonable, as #1- more people live in the east, and #2- it was in the west last time... Still, whatever they do is better than nothing.

Since Worlds is invite only, as long as Nintendo gives trips as prizes for the qualifiers, that would be fine. I was just saying though, it would be easier for the coastal people to travel a day or 2, than for say someone from California to drive croos country(although I know people who would)

I just hope they bring back the STS's. A lot of people came and they were really fun. They would also probably boost Pokemon's popularity.

If location is based on Prerelease #s, Texas is a good possibility, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back