Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How are pokemon cards made?

deckmaster

How does a Pokemon card get it’s attacks? Is the card tested if its effects will make the current metagame balanced? Details baby, I always wanted to know. Try to include, a step by step process of how a card makes it into a booster pack.:smile::fighting:

Last edited:
Well, PCL in Japan makes them.
From the way archetypes fit together, I think it's fairly obvious that they do a good bit of playtesting and considering of possible combos when they make the card. They probably take the current metagame into account and incorporate ideas they have into cards that will balance the metagame and/or combo with something else.

Dave (Card Designer): Joe, you ever wander what's outside those walls?
Joe (Card Designer): Say now Dave, that's dangerous thinking, you best get back to making broken cards.
Dave: You're right.

ncorporate ideas they have into cards that will balance the metagame
Of course, any R&D group is capable of errors, like Blissey, lol.

But yeah, ever since RubySapphire they have done good job making balanced cards. That's also when WotC stopped producing the game. Coincidence?

Dave (Card Designer): Joe, you ever wander what's outside those walls?
Joe (Card Designer): Say now Dave, that's dangerous thinking, you best get back to making broken cards.
Dave: You're right.

Lol, very funny guys. let's try and keep this serious.:tongue:

Of course, any R&D group is capable of errors, like Blissey, lol.

But yeah, ever since RubySapphire they have done good job making balanced cards. That's also when WotC stopped producing the game. Coincidence?
Must be a coincidence. Wizards never had anything to do with designing the cards. All they did was translate, print, market, and distribute them outside of Japan.

I think they have a nice, big dart board with a list of standard attacks/damage for any stage of Pokemon (Basic, Stage 1, etc) that they throw darts at to determine attacks.

I think they have a nice, big dart board with a list of standard attacks/damage for any stage of Pokemon (Basic, Stage 1, etc) that they throw darts at to determine attacks.

Charmander
[R] 50 HP

[W][W] Water Gun 40

[G][G][C] Solarbeam 60

Weak: [W] +10
Resist: None
Retreat: [C]

1) Freshly slaughtered trees
2) made into paper
3) card text art etc... printed on
4) cards sheets are cut into indivisual cards
5) machine randomly places 10 cards in a pack and seals them

btw this was a total guess

when they make a set, the pokemon people are probably assigned a theme and a list of pokemon. then just base the attacks on the theme of the set and the pokemon who is using it. Though this is just guess work i'm spitting out here.

Back