Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How great is this year's tourney season

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycodad

I just got back from the cromwell CC and had a blast. And guess what there's another tourney next week and it is a state championship. And after that, gym challanges, stadium challanges, another prerelease, and then the Nationals. Feels like I died and went to pokemon heaven. Thank you nintendo.

The answer:

Too Much, Too Soon and Too Disorganised...

We should be concentrating on league and OP and we definitely need a real structured professor programme and rankings that work and sanctions for those that cheat.

You can't have a good OP programme without qualified judges, without a good rankings system and without penalties to discourage cheating.

In the US looks great lots of tourneys and lots of froth but underneath it all you had Naught Reeul and I daresay more cheating, misrepresentation and stored trouble and so far we see no tangible evidence that PUI are willing to tackle this publically and quickly.

For the rest of the world it's more headaches for the unofficial professors and non-PTO, PTO's?

So now we get told 30-40 CCs in the UK by May 31st and there are just not the leagues, judges and stores to support it.

Like I say TOO MUCH, TOO SOON and TOO DISORGANISED

Last edited:
I don't think it is too much. I just don't think that the City Championships and State Championships were all that necessary. The CC's were definatly fun and gave me a nice amount of prizes for the money I put into them, but I don't see them majorly affecting anything. Two byes at Nationals is major. The only thing is is that half the people who earn those 2 byes won't even end up going to Nationals. They will only be playing for the box of Aqua/Magma. I like the way people are able to qualify for invites to Worlds, but the top 16 thing isn't gonna work out if the rankings aren't updated, and if all the fake players and fake tournaments aren't deleted. I think that overall, Nintendo has turned around the Promo thing now with Flygon and Ludicolo promos being released. The Oran Berry had scared me for a minute though... So what it comes down to is personal preference. IMO, Nintendo has finally turned around POP. Even though there are still some kinks in the system, Nintendo is doing an outstanding job promoting the game and running tournaments.

UK
I read the UK stuff and see your frustration but I can't understand how you could prefer last year over this year. Nintendo is at least trying but they can't and won't make everyone happy. I would look at your CC's as an attempt to bring the fun overseas and an opportunity to build the game. I see that Nintendo has added staff and is getting better organized. Heck the new software actually picked the correct winner at the last CC I played in. This is a improvement. If the events over in the US are any indication of what will take place in Europe, you will be most pleased. Give it a chance.

Last edited:
HypnosProjectHQ
The CC's while not completely necessary, are a good way to get the cards and practice for the big events. There might have been too many but they have all been fun. I am not a huge fan of the top 16 getting invites but if the rating system gets accurate I think it's fair. Your final comment echos my sentiment.

Lots of events!

Between CC's, Pre-releases, and States, there has been an event almost every week. Sometime two a week, if you are willing to drive a few hours. All in all, I think it's great, but we've hardly had a chance to have league the last few months :)

I wont complain, we've had the most tourneys in 2 months than we ever had last year, big tourneys. Got 2 practically free DR boxes, getting a VIP package! I will definately not complain about that, and what's to follow? hopefully, a trip to worlds...

-MuD

Actually,it is going really great.Of course there will be problems and whatnot and I do agree with the "too much,too soon",but other than that,PUI is ahead of where WotC was at this time when they first got the game.Seems like alot of people tend to forget that WotC was messing things up left and right the first couple years until they started getting their act together.People were on their case as well.PUI is still in it`s first year and they got things rolling out...rolling out far more than WotC.

To get back to the "too much,too soon",Leagues are suffering a little from all these events going on.We`ve had or will have CC`s,prereleases,States,next prereleases,GC`s,then SC all in a span of 4-5 months. It`s great that we have that many,and the community is grateful,but we need a little spacing between events IMO.But then again,better than to have too many than too few.;)

Good job PUI and keep learning and making things better!Learn from the "mistakes" and strive to improve.Yes,you guys have made some mistakes,but you can`t grow without making those mistakes!

`Sensei

Last edited:
I love the way Nintendo is running things. I haven't had a free saturday for a month and half and I love it . We can never have to many tournaments .... :)

It's nice to have all these tournaments, but it is too much, too soon. I haven't seen my GL for a month, and league attendance is suffering as a result, as now alot of our players are leaning towards Duel Masters.

ukpokemonpro said:
The answer:

Too Much, Too Soon and Too Disorganised...

We should be concentrating on league and OP and we definitely need a real structured professor programme and rankings that work and sanctions for those that cheat.

You can't have a good OP programme without qualified judges, without a good rankings system and without penalties to discourage cheating.

In the US looks great lots of tourneys and lots of froth but underneath it all you had Naught Reeul and I daresay more cheating, misrepresentation and stored trouble and so far we see no tangible evidence that PUI are willing to tackle this publically and quickly.

For the rest of the world it's more headaches for the unofficial professors and non-PTO, PTO's?

So now we get told 30-40 CCs in the UK by May 31st and there are just not the leagues, judges and stores to support it.

Like I say TOO MUCH, TOO SOON and TOO DISORGANISED

How quickly you change your tune Ben. Not six months ago, we aren't doing enough, and now it's just too much.

You've made it quite clear over the last 6-8 months that you will never be satisfied. So be it. There are obviously plenty of other fans out there who see the progress that's been made, and believe we're doing...gasp!...good things.

Prof. Dav

Professor Dav said:
You've made it quite clear over the last 6-8 months that you will never be satisfied. So be it. There are obviously plenty of other fans out there who see the progress that's been made, and believe we're doing...gasp!...good things.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!! I am getting so sick and tired of hearing all the moaning and complaining in regards to how it was in the old days and how Wizards did this and Wizards did that.
Can we try to please just move on and be thankful for what we have and where were going? Everything takes time and is not always as perfect as planned. But for Gods sake lets just see whats in store and take it and run with it. Those who are unhappy and continue to be unhappy because things aren't as you would like or should I say do not meet with your approval, FIND ANOTHER GAME!!!

Dude, I'm loving what Nintendo is doing. I'm just trying to find a way to catch up on cards... since I haven't bought cards since like, GenCon 2003. But I love this game and Nintendo has wooed me back!

Professor Dav said:
How quickly you change your tune Ben. Not six months ago, we aren't doing enough, and now it's just too much.

Prof. Dav

Very well said professor. I agree that all that is coming is a ncie jump for nintendo. I like how you play it out all through the summer and slow down in the fall. I dont think he will ever be satisfied in what you bring out so keep it up. I cant wait to see how it will all turn out :D

Erm

Hang on there, I have to disagree on your post Professor Dav with respect.

Although ukpokémonpro is one of the more 'vocal' advocates of the game here in the UK on these boards there are a fair few of us UK players... sorry, TO's, Professors and Gym Leaders, who watch these messages with interest and in particular how the USA branch of the Pokémon Company are dealing with International OP issues. And I have to say that I am a little dismayed at reading your comments for three particular reasons.

First of all, it has not been right for you through your distributors to have the National competitions changed from date to date. Yes, I can see that you may not have overall control of what goes on outside the USA and that these are local issues to be resolved with our distributors. But to be quite honest, you guys pay them and you selected them, so it's a reflection of PUI's stance when they don't get things right the first time.

Secondly, there will not be any chance of successfully pulling off all the CC's that we have been dictated to support. 30-40 with only 8 or so active Professors in the country? You have not given a chance for those who are now of the age and capability of running such events through any sort of official Professor test that we can direct them towards. Your software has been broadly problematic and unsuccessful in determining the outcomes of basic changes that need to be made in tournaments. I'm not trying to level criticism relentlessly but the fact of the matter is that the changeover hasn't been as smooth as it had been foreseen and we had been led to believe. granted it has been brilliant to see the game and TCG develop in the sense that the new sets, league kits, tournaments etc. have brought about a breath of fresh air in OP post-WotC. But, as a consequence there have been these problems and in particular it has hit us hard outside the US of A. A little humility towards, and acknowledgement of, the hard work that people like ukpokémonpro perform across the world, would not go amiss. This is a working relationship, after all.

Thirdly, I wish that you guys would listen to us, we WANT to help and we DON'T want to whine. Look, you need to publicise the Nationals, use Nintendo magazine for it, full page adverts or whatever. Support in the magazine that I have command over would not go amiss, to a distribution of 30,000 I'm waiting to tell them when, where and what they could be entering for this June... or is it July... it keeps on changing...

We've met in real life at GenCon-USA and although I don't pretend to know you fully you came across as being a really level-headed guy, eager to hear people out and ready to bring about positivity into this game. Please don't shut us, the International community, out with such comments - we suffered enough through WotC and are naturally sceptical of 'success around the corner' measures in this TCG.

I AM happy with how tournaments and OP is this year, I just wish more new people would come to the tourneys. Isn't that something you want too?

Sincerely,

~fK

If you think that it's "too much" then remember that you don't really have to do it all.

My son and I used to drive about an hour to play in an unlimited tournament every other Friday night. (We both prefer tournaments to regular league play.) But with all that's been going on we have cut out the Friday night trips lately.

I think it's great that we have so much Pokemon to choose from.

Keep up the great job PUI, and thanks!

I am passionate about league, I am passionate about OP, I am passionate about getting it right in the UK.

I am trying to find a correct response but I am failing to find it :(

I am tired after flogging another Tourney through TMS, I am tired after sorting cards and deck building most of the day for my league, I am tired of thinking about the next tourney, the next push for advertising, I am just tired.

Is this a USA only thread or are international posts allowed?

From the outside it seems that there has been a lot of tournament activity provided by PUI in the USA and on the whole it has been well organised and well recieved.

Much of Europe and the rest of the world appears to have had very little by comparison.
In the UK large tournaments have almost exclusively been provided by us FANS, at the one tournament provided by our OP provider the judge team was provided through UkPokemonpro.

Confusion reigns over here: we don't know when or where nationals will be for certain so can't advertise. 30 City Challenges with a player base of perhaps 300 at the most just seems daft. But then we aren't the experts so what do we know?

I am really pleased for the players in the USA that there have been so many tournaments to go to. I presume that this means that league play is thriving and does not need a lot of attention to ensure its growth. In the UK the leagues aren't yet numerically strong enough to support a lot of tournaments. Not to mention the staff requirements for such events. So just for the UK I will agree with ukpokemonpro. Before you can have successful tournaments you need players.

Adv1sor said:
If you think that it's "too much" then remember that you don't really have to do it all.

That is not the point. UKPro is complaining about the ones that are not playing in the events... the people actually organizing the events have had to deal with "too little" support since August (despite the fact that PUSA was working on the transition far before that Summer). Now, since POP has entered the busy tournament season, people are complaining that it's too much, because there is little in the way being done to fix the problems regarding TMS, Professor Program, Rankings, Penalties, and Communication in general.

It's a great time to be a player, yes, but a hectic and unrewarding time to be on the other end.
-Phil

I mean no disrespect Phil but I would expect UKPro to speak for himself here.

Even if it is as you say, and no reason to think that it is not, it's still the TOs choice as to how much is too much.

I am very greatful to our local TO for all the time, money, caring and energy that he, and even his girlfriend, dedicate to giving us so many great tournaments and an outstanding league. But if he were to say enough and want to skip the next prerelease or even take a weekend or two off, while I admit I'd be dissapointed, I wouldn't complain. (I'd probably volunteer to run a tourny or two while he was away.)
But don't take that as any kind of inviation Sensei! :)

Either the TO or the players have every right to say too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back