How to be Ready for Tourneys

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Professor Renee, Feb 5, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Professor Renee

Professor Renee New Member

Hey all,

Just some helpful hints when it comes time to tourneys.

1. Make sure your deck is complete and is according to the current format. Check sites like www.pokegym.net and www.pokemon-tcg.com for more info.

2. Make sure you bring your deck, dice and damage counters.

3. Be sure to complete your Deck list. These are required at almost every major event.

4. When you bring your decklist to the tourney and present it with your deck to the Judge, make sure your deck is in the same order as is on the deck list.
    For example:
    1. Pokemon - in order as listed on your sheet
    2. Trainer Cards in order as listed on you sheet
    3. Energy Cards in order as listed on your sheet.

This makes the registration process go MUCH MUCH faster.

5. Have your POP ID handy. If you don't have it let the Judge/Staff know so they can assign you one. If you have played before and do havea POP ID, but forgot it, let the Judge/staff know so they can look it up for you.

6. Also, why not bring yourself a snack and some drinks. Those who have played before know this is a long day, and those who are new sure find out!

7. These are also great days for trading cards and meeting great people.

8. Lastly, remember,although Pokemon is great fun, remember it is a GAME, and we are here to enjoy!

Good Luck to all!

See you in Clermont, Orlando, Winter Haven, and down south!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  2. old man

old man New Member

1 thing I'd like to add -
    Listen to the people running the tournament & jusdges. This may be anything from annoucments, to upcoming tournaments, where the bathrooms are, etc.
    Sometimes if you listen you may learn something!

3. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

Also, (thanks Renee for starting this thread)

Make sure to bring your stuff with you in such a way that you can keep control of it all day, without running all over everyone.

A backpack, Ultrapro decks case, or other such device works wonders.

DO NOT bring everything with you that you own...We have a name for people like that...

An ultrapro case is ideal for storing your playable deck, damage counters, dice, and other items which you will need for the day. You can even keep your traders in there. No telling who will be looking to trade for your extra Rayquaza EX or Gardevoir before the event.

Most of all, prepare to have fun, meet people, and enjoy the day....Winning isn't everything if you have a blast with friends, even friends you just met.

And if you are nice, you may even learn how to play apples to apples during a break! Thanks KYDAD, wherever you are!!!

Meganium45

4. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

Alot of my thoughts from the Origins Discussion Topic can be applied here. Just look to the bottom of the starting post and see my Tips section.

Also on decklists write the expansion name and card number with each card's name.

5. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

I would love to know how to do this - "let the Judge/staff know so they can look it up for you."

I had players attend my tournament after being assigned IDs at another event a couple of weeks prior - I found no way to 'look up' a player's ID other than to contact the other TO via email and ask what # was assigned (and PW)...

Please help a clueless TO :).

6. Sensei

Sensei Team Compendium Emeritus Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

And bring extra deck sleeves of the type you use for your deck.I can`t tell you how many countless times we`ve been scrambling in the middle of a tournament to try and find a same exact colored replacement for a torn deck sleeve.If you can`t find one,you`ll have to unsleeve all the rest of your cards and your cards won`t be protected...so bring extra!!!

`Sensei

7. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

Well I worked with SteveP and another TO to keep a State Wide Master List of the Colorado Pokemon Players ID numbers and names. However we are really working to get players to make them remember their numbers.

8. sneaselsrevenge

sneaselsrevenge New Member

The PTO in Florida has the ID #'s and passwords printed on labels on 3"x5" index cards, so all she has to do is write their names on them. Its the players responsibility to bring them to tourneys. If they dont, we issue them a new #.