Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Hyper Devo+Rair candy

Porygon3

@_@ ok... trainers sometimes over lap and out do each other, but this is a
good case in point where one trainer lets you break the other.
Hyper Devolution Spray let you return the evo to your hand, but you couldnt evolve, but rair candy lets you play a pokemon from your hand....

in unlimmited play this is not that bad of a combo...

Bezerk... return... bezerk... return... 25 bezerk in one turn (of course you have to have 4 hyper and 4 rair candy in hand, but thats not THAT hard to do)

(Bezerk is fralagaters power from neo1, flip, if heads your oppenent discards 5, if you get tails you discard 5)

woot.

I'd say NO because of the parenthetical clause on Hyper Devolution Spray that reads:

"(You can't evolve a Pokemon the turn you devolve it.)"

Do remember, the current ruling on Rare Candy (and Wally) lets you evolve a Pokemon you've just played (except first turn), NOT a Pokemon you've just devolved. IMO, there's a difference between "playing" a Pokemon and "devolving" it.

Nevertheless, this is a good question for the MTs.

Last edited:
I'd have to say (in other words this is my opinion) yes, you can keep going back and forth as long as you have that supply of trainers. The only real limitation on Rare Candy is that you can't use it on the first turn of the game. Rare Candy gets around all other restrictions, so have fun bouncing your big nasty Stage 2's.

It depends, we had the rulebook and the card conflicting before, now we have two cards conflicting. That could be important. What overrules thee rulebook may not overrule another card.

yeah, I was also going to say Hyper Devo and Giovinni...
Basicly I belive its all about when you play the trainer card that matters, if you dont play it in the right sequance it will not effect it.
In E-on the only way to devolve+evolve is underground statum + rair candy by the way.

Porygon3 said:
yeah, I was also going to say Hyper Devo and Giovinni...
Basicly I belive its all about when you play the trainer card that matters, if you dont play it in the right sequance it will not effect it.
In E-on the only way to devolve+evolve is underground statum + rair candy by the way.

What about Retro Energy?

The Retro Energy card doesn't have the statement saying that you can't evolve a Pokemon you devolved this turn, like the Hyper Devo Spray does.

SwampertEX, obviously you haven't made a Skyridge Beedrill deck before. Although rarely used, Hyper Devo Spray makes the Beedrill deck absolutely deadly. Believe me, I went 5-0 with my Beedrill deck at the Professor Championship at Origins.

From the looks of the responses, it's obvious that the correct answer isn't obvious. :)

Looks like a Nintendo MT needs to answer this one.

Choose 1 of your Basic Pokemon in play. If you have a Stage 1 or Stage 2 card that evolves from that Pokemon in your hand, put that card on the Basic Pokemon. (This counts as evolving that Pokemon)

Above is what is being stated on the Rare Candy trainer card.

I don't think Rare Candy "overrules" the Hyper Devolution Spray - That counts evolving the Pokemon, and Hyper Devolution Spray states that you are not allowed to evolved the Pokemon in the same turn you play it.

hey stevep i have the same deck! it just rocks! for awile i had a 2 on 2 deck like that also, with nintendo cards (a just for fun deck used with my friends) that was all focused on riping the actives apart, it used the beedrill/hyperspay combo and the holo Makiana (20 to each active) and the weezing from ruby/saphere (poison each active and 10 to the bench) it total ROCKED. LOL come to think of i have a lot of decks im pushing 30

Back