Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

I need help and Information! :)

DarkStar20

Front Page Editor
As everyone knows, this upcoming month is Pre-release season! :smile::pokeball::smile:

And I'm new to POP, about 6 months new, but I find myself in a position of running around 50 to 100 people in an area that has almost no one else to really help me with POP stuff...well, within' at least 100 miles of me anyway!

I'm going to be helping Mr. Raichu host a pre-release tournament August 9th, and I'd like to know what I'm gonna be in for, cause I've never been to one!! Any information you guys can give me would be fantastic, the rules, the set up, the gameplay, your personal experiances that you liked, experiances that you DIDN'T like, what I can do to make the atmosphere fun, what are the most important elements? I'd love to read everyone's comments, and it'll be really helpful to me, no matter what state your in, or where you are! Thanks guys!

-Jason
:)dark::colorless20)

Wow, nobody? @_@ Bummer. I think I'll be fine though, I wanted to avoid asking BDS and Mr. Raichu more
questions, and 'take the load off' but that's ok, I'll just ask them about it later.

-Jason

I'm going to be helping Mr. Raichu host a pre-release tournament August 9th, and I'd like to know what I'm gonna be in for, cause I've never been to one!! Any information you guys can give me would be fantastic, the rules, the set up, the gameplay, your personal experiances that you liked, experiances that you DIDN'T like, what I can do to make the atmosphere fun, what are the most important elements? I'd love to read everyone's comments, and it'll be really helpful to me, no matter what state your in, or where you are! Thanks guys!

I suggest you ask Mr. Raichu what he expects from you. I don't understand what your role is, so posting some details may help me figure which direction to point you in. Are you going to judge the tournament? Assist the Tournament Organizer? Set up/clean up the gameplay area?

-Find out the rules for the venue. If it's in a retail store, ask about the bathroom location, food/beverage policies, and any other rules the store owner has.

-Be on time. Arrive a few minutes early, and be helpful (a quality Pokemon players have in plenty).

-Expect several young or new Pokemon players who want to put their cards in their pockets. A few sandwich bags can be very helpful; older players who take care of their cards will not need them.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input! :smile: I know the venue, I hold a league meeting there every week, and I
certainly know the range of players to expect.

I just wanted to get information from people about the little things they liked about their past
experiances, and things that annoyed them. For instance:

When I went to my last tournament, what I liked about it was that everyone was friendly and helpful
with any questions I had, and being new to the area, they all were very warm and welcoming into the
world of pokemon. They had a decent space and a lot of tables, though it was extremely hard to get in
or out of the isles to our seats, it would have been nice to have had a little more room, if it was possible.
The tournament we held close to a park, which allowed easy accsess to a nice place to have lunch
during the break. And it was located next to a big parking garage, for easy access to parking. And I
loved that they had a side DS tournament, my pokemon weren't ready for it then, but I hope they have
more in the future, because my Pokemon are ready now!

See, information like this will allow me to replicate these good things, and try to eliminate the bad things,
the only problem is that I've attended very few tournaments, aside from the small ones I've run, so I
don't have a lot to go on, but people on this site do. :smile: Bless their hearts to anyone who takes the
time to post something for me. Thanks guys! :)

-Jason

You might try printing out some Pokemon coloring pages, buying a few crayon packs, and setting up a coloring area for little kids. Since the Juniors often finish earlier, they'd have something to do if parents or older siblings wanted to keep playing.

The best thing that you can do now is pre-teach the kiddos. They will be getting 6 packs of cards to make a 40 card deck. Basic energy will be provided for them. They will have 30 min. to do this. No trading amongst themselves until the tourney is over. No changes to the decks during the tourney. They will need to make the decks with the cards they have opened. Make sure they know how to check for their names on the pairing sheets and to find their spot at a numbered table( we will be bringing those with us) We usually break for lunch after the second round of play and at which time the DS tourney will begin (sorry you will be too busy helping to play in this, this time : ) I will try and make up some word search pages and have available to those who want them.

:biggrin: Most of all this is a Pokemon Party, tell them to enjoy and have FUN!!!! :biggrin:

See ya soon & relax Jason this is gonna be great :thumb:
momma_june

Jason: Chris will have a FAQ from OP to let you review before the tourney for certain rulings for cards that are new. That will help. Review the rulings and penalty guidelines. Remember though, this is a FUN event, so penalties are at the lower level (Tier 1). Chris will tell you what he expects from you. Mainly, you are there to give assistance to newer deck builders, and to keep the event running smoothly. There usually arent too many 'hard/harsh" rulings at a PR.

Have fun!

Keith

relax Jason this is gonna be great :thumb:
momma_june

Thanks June, Kieth. I know this is gonna be a really fun event! And I honestly think that it's just fine that I won't be competiting in any of it. (Expecially since one of the juniors is Mental over the chance of using my DS game to enter the side tourny. :smile: Afterall, I didn't spend 113 hours training those Pokemon for nothing!)

Thanks for all the info, we've been doing quite a few small tournaments down here, some offcial, some not, but all of them go through the computer program, so everyone knows the table system down here! We also did a small booster draft tourny, the draft process was rough...@_@ But the deck building only took about 20 minutes for all the kids! So I'm not too worried.

I assume that ALL types of basic energy will be provided, including :dark:&:metal:? (I have gotten the box of basic energy for league play, but they don't have those in them...)

I'll have to brush up on the penalties a little more, so that I can know how to 'hold back the yellow flag' better. :) There is where my rookie-ness comes into play. @_@

Thanks for your help you two! (Anyone else can still feel free to give advice!!!)

-Jason

I assume that ALL types of basic energy will be provided, including :dark:&:metal:? (I have gotten the box of basic energy for league play, but they don't have those in them...)

Dark and Metal need to be proxied. Just write D or M on other basic energy cards.

Ouch, I'd rather use some of my old non-modified cards that are now practically junk then to use perfectly good Basic Energy! @_@ But I see the process, thanks guys.

Oh, and I'm suddenly feeling much better about helping run this...CAUSE I JUST PASSED THE PROFESSOR TEST!!! YEA BABY! YEEEAA!

-Jason

Dark and Metal need to be proxied. Just write D or M on other basic energy cards.

Jason
We already have the proxy cards for the basic Dark and Metal. Remember we've been doing this for a long time now. Don't worry about the rulings & newness to this, it just takes practice and a lot of asking questions. There is no such thing as a "dumb question" . heck we still ask BDS stuff all the time. In our eyes he is one of the true experts. Congrats on the Prof test
See ya soon,
momma_june

Last edited:
it just takes practice and a lot of asking questions.

I'm really begining to learn that! :thumb: Luckily, this next format cut will cut out the last of the cards that were popular before my time being back in the game. Once we get to the Diamond and Pearl format, I'll feel a lot more up to speed!

And if there is anything I know how to do, it's ask a lot of questions! If I can think of anymore burning questions, I'll send out a PM, thanks for all the help! And thanks to everyone else for the insite! This is gonna be an awesome set, and a great few weeks of playing! (Worlds, and a pre-release?? What a month!!)

-Jason

Back