Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Id like a little help here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyfogre22

I played the Pokemon TCG up until 2002... I just recently found all my cards again, and i have started collecting... but can somone gimme the rundown on what has changed sience neo 2... if you can; of course, its not saying i dont know my pokemastery (I have all the games :D) but card-wise... I've been MIA.

Thanks

OK... a lot of things have happened. First, a new type of Trainer -- Supporters -- have been introduced. These tend to have powerful effects, but have one important drawback -- you can only play one Supporter per turn. Second, Wizards of the Coast no longer owns the license to the game -- it has changed over to Nintendo. Nintendo has printed two sets in English so far: EX: Ruby and Sapphire, and Sandstorm. These include Pokemon from the Ruby and Sapphire games and a reprinting of Dark and Metal Energy, which lowers the power of each. Each one now only provides a beneficial effect to the matching type of Pokemon, and simply provides Energy of that color to all others. Nintendo also introduced us to 2-on-2 play, in which each player has 2 Active Pokemon. Many of the Nintendo-printed cards are worded for this format. I think that's most of the major news.

Since Discovery? Neo Revelation and Destiny. Legendary Collection (reprints of Base-Rocket, mostly). E-card sets Expedition, Aquapolis, and Skyridge. Wizards is denied contract renual. Nintendo starts TCG sub-company. Nintendo releases EX:Ruby & Sapphire about a month after Skyridge. Wizards support of Pokemon is dropped after August (true ending of contract).

Thanks for the info, and just to let you know, i knew about Legendary, destiny and Neo.

So basically, I havent missed as much as i thought i did :D

The rules have changed, too. Here's what I remember off the top of my head...

Mulligan rule has been changed to a one card draw, instead of two.

Confusion does 30 instead of 20 on a failed attack, and does not affect retreat.

The first player does not draw their first turn.

New poké, called EX, have the letters EX after their name, like Scyther EX. When one of these dies, the reward is TWO prizes, not one.

Only one stadium can be played per turn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Those are all the rules changes I remember off the top of my head...

In reply to tails
Mully Rule: that was a good change, i remember people who made entirely energy decks so they were guaranteed to deck their oppoment... now it takes 53 draws instead of 26 :D
Confusion: I can see that being exploited... a ratatta (Base set) could confuse itself to death...
EX rule: Heh... Thats quite stupid... as a player of a heavily defensive deck (Steel And Psychic(mainly ghosts)) i think those cards of useless
Stadium: Dang... I would play 4 concecutive energy stadiums when i needed them... :)

Thanks for all the help, keep posting if you guys remember anything... oh and one question: ive got $30 in my pocket; is it worth buying one of the new theme decks or should i go for booster packs? and if theme deck, which one?

dont forget about technical machines...

Obviously, like in teh GameBoy game, Technical machines gave you teh ability to use different attacks. However, unlike the GB game, you must discard the card after the end of your turn.

About the Mulligan rule...draw isn't mandatory. I don't know who thought that up, but it's such a lame idea which can only win by total stupidity on your opponent's part. That's in reference to the all energy deck/no basic deck "archetype" BTW.

Wouldn't it have to be? Eventually your opponent would go, "Alright, this is ridiculous, do you play Basic or not?". When they finally respond with no, they would have to lose the match anyway. Of course it's illegal. ^_^

Best Theme Deck out there is Echo, Expedition - 2 Copycat Trainers (the trainer of choice at this time - well, until Gardivoire EX comes into vogue!)

Also, it has a great mix of cards....great for a theme deck.

I also like the water R/S deck as well - quick lessons in R/S pokemon for much less than packs!!

That's my 2C

Meganium45

yeah... didn't sound right to me, but there was a little theme going on at one japanesse tournament with decks like that... eventually the 2 people who had made it into the finalls decked each other out.

Also, for anyone who would bother to care, please check out my topic on the deck strategy and help forums and gimme some feedback on my deck please... i just revamped, scrapped, and created a new deck for my little return

Don't forget that you can only retreat now once per turn, which makes Confusion a bit more interesting. Also, Confusion, Poison, and Burn don't do damage now. The put damage counters on the Pokemon instead. It sounds like it's the same thing, but when you consider stuff like Defender, it makes a difference.

Or rather, 60 in this case. If it was 30 damage instead of 3 damage counters, there's a LOT of Psychic Pokemon that would kill themselves with one bad coin flip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back