Idea for Gym Challenge format......

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by Mob2099, Apr 22, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mob2099

Mob2099 New Member

for Nintendo to take into consideration.

With the heavy onslaught of blaziken ex decks.
    I think the format just for Gym Challenges; this is soon enough notice if they do it within a week, should be standard modified with no EX pokemon. But only for the Gym Challenges right now. This will bring a fresh change and new decks to the environment. Then depending on how it is taken and the decks that are shown, it can be deceided what format to run in later events. The Gym’s are plenty enough and widespread enough that the display of decks will determine the impact of no EX’s on the environment and players.

If the format is not changed in some fashion (i.e. ban blaz EX and rare candy), the tournament environment is going to be hurt alot and no one but blaze EX players are going to want to even play.

Wizard did it and does it alot with magic, admits when they have made a broken card for certain environments. Nintendo needs to get the guts to ban Blaz EX, rare candy (would not be broken if it was a supporter) or all EX’s. They need to do this to show they care about the playing environment and not allow it to deteriorate.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  2. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

Please remember that the 'gym is NOT an official board; concerns of this type, while nice to discuss on the board ALSO must be sent directly to POP if you'd like to be sure they are seen/considered.

'mom

3. Xeno

Xeno New Member

Ban Rare Candy? Rare Candy does not need to be banned, it is not that broken. It's kinda like a Breeder in unlimited, nothing is wrong with it.

Blaze ex and Rayquaza ex in the BAR combo on the other hand...
    Not unbeatable but repetitiveness...

4. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

Every single deck in Modified should figure some way to "tech" in a Wobbuffet of two.

I agree that EX Pokemon are everywhere. But I've never had so much fun since the days before Modified.

EX's should've been restricted to 1-per deck, like Shining Pokemon are.

We're back to adding anti-EX to our decks like we were during the Slowking days when we were adding anti-Slowking tech.

Banning one card is easy (like Slowking), but banning a whole EX line is wrong.

5. Gym Leader Blaine

Gym Leader Blaine <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/member.php?u=15

Is there not alread a thread about how we should take Blaz EX out of play? I really dont think it is going to happen. Blaz Ex is week to Phyc is I remember right so the Garny deck does well against it.

6. mewsmom

mewsmom New Member

Yeah I'm sure there are tons of post about how Blaze EX should be banned and so forth. That's why the proposal of changing the format may be more considerable since they seem to NOT want to ban the card.

Yes Blaze is weak to Pyschic, so are we all suppose to now play Gardy decks to try and counter? What kind of tourney or fun would that be if there's nothing but Gardy and Blaze, not much different then the turnouts now of Blaze taking every win at many tourneys.

It's very discouraging and becoming boring of seeing the same turnout at our tourneys. Another one to Blaze regardless of the many Rogue decks out there working their tail off. It just can't be pulled off because of the broken combo of a few cards. It's very SAD to see Rogue players breakdown and go to the other side and play the HOT NET deck currently taking 1st. What's this game coming to?

(Quote- Xeno)Ban Rare Candy? Rare Candy does not need to be banned, it is not that broken. It's kinda like a Breeder in unlimited, nothing is wrong with it.

You tell me how having 2nd stage evolution on 2 Blaze's 2nd turn is not broken?? If Rare Candy was a supporter you'd only have one, but with Delcatty and the other search engines out there, it's not hard to pull off 2 Blaze's 2nd turn, when normally he's meant for a 3rd turn game. That's way too fast and dominating.

Personally we need to bring the fun and original back into the game. Winning a title is great & awesome but HOW do you honestly feel knowing you won using the same NET/Blaze deck that the guy in FL, MS, Ok or so forth used last week to take 1st in his tourney??

Not too original if you ask me!!

7. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

OK no Ex's. So everyone plays Blaziken/Ninetales/Delcatty...... Ninetales being the only thing that can ohko anything.

8. Xeno

Xeno New Member

It's almost broken with Blaze ex but if all ex's were banned, I see nothing wrong with Rare Candy. Rare Candy might be helpful to defeat a BAR deck too, ask the Swampert/ex players. Anyways, I think you guys are targetting the wrong creatures. Blaze ex and Rayquaza ex would not be as powerful without Holo Blaze + Amnpharos/Aqua's Manectric combo along with Holo Delcatty+Oracle.

9. Cyrus

Cyrus Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

Good point. I have a couple suggestions:

A. Ban Delcatty: Without Delcatty, the speed of Blaz variants goes down so much. BAR's quality goes up, and the quality of counters (namely Kingdra ex) goes up. The only problem in this is that the water decks may become TOO good, which was just the problem with the last two formats!

B. Ban/errata energy manipulation cards (claydol, manetric, ampharos, alakazam, etc): Blaziken ex has just lost its most broken combo, and the Blazi deck suffers for it. This is, of course, the one move that people have complained about most.

In my opinion, the easiest way to end the problem is to just errata Manetric and Claydol, since Ampharos spends another valuable rare candy that could be used to go to a blaziken ex or another blazi.

10. Mob2099

Mob2099 New Member

This is not a ban blaz Ex post. It is an idea to change the format to bring out some new ideas and creativity in players, instead of everyone play the same deck. I only asked for one go round in a certain group of tourneys to see how it plays on the cards and the players. Yes it would be change again but a very little change compared to set rotation.

And to give more info (enlighten the less diverse players) on when you should be able to play a certain card in the game.
    All game engines do this, and the companies try and make it so.
    When a card is created, it is figured in at one turn you can play it in the environment, that effects what power it has, the cost, the attack, retreat and the hp. they even account for the cards out there that might be able to bring it in sooner and what impact and probability that will happen.

When Nintendo had to put in effect, no evolving on turn one. They knew they had made a broken card and doing damage control before someone could find a loophole to break a card (i.e. rare candy)(all cards have a potential to be broken). Without rare candy set up would go back to turn 3-4 not 2-3. And if not for a new rule possible turn 1. How can a deck made to set up on turn 4 compete with a turn 2-3 deck?
    Speed is all-good but when it fuels itself in other aspects you have to find a way to slow it down to make it environment friendly. That is what Nintendo has to do. Fix the environment.

Nintails cannot ohko anything right off, with time yes.
    With out EX's you don’t have Amp. EX, which allows water more playable.
    Thus making the energy powers of water and psychic on par with fire.

11. Pablo

Pablo New Member

yay Niniken would PWN!!!

12. As much as i like the idea :) i do have this conncern:
    If that goes through there will be so many new deck variations and so many diffrent decks in the gym challenge it will be too confusing to go in and have a good stand on the battle. I dont think idea will float as much as it will sink as time passes. :(

13. Monkey

Monkey <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

Im up for it! I would love to see a Modifed format with no EXs. All my deck would lose is an Aerodactyl Ex hehe.

14. nikePK

nikePK New Member

What BJJ and Mudkip said... Niniken destroys everything then.

I like this format just fine right now. Everyone just wait till the GC's are all over and done with, I'm sure you will all find that some new decks will be leaking out...

15. sneaselsrevenge

sneaselsrevenge New Member

Blaziken EX isn't the problem, it's the combo that let's it attack evry turn. And if you say no EX's at all, the only viable decks are still BAR and Niniken, with nothing to counter now. There is nothing wrong with EX's overall. They all carry the 2 prize curse and most have 2 weaknessess

16. Pablo

Pablo New Member

how does BAR work in a no EX's format? what OHKO's? Amphy? lol JK, but honestly, then everyone would go mad lookig for Ninetales, cause everything would have 130 HP at the most, so 5 nrgys at the most for Tales to OHKO ANYTHING, now THAT would be a one-deck format, gehmirrormatches EVERYWHERE, aint happening though

-MuD

17. mewsmom

mewsmom New Member

The ones against the idea and say ninetales would rule must be blaz players and very shallow minded in the area of what there is out there to play. O I guess you all are net deckers and don’t like a challenge to be original. All that was said was to give it a try, and that the format tell us what would be on top, not the opinions of every blaz player tells us the outcome ahead of time(looking into their special crystal ball). And if it was ninetales on top of a non EX format what is the difference with what is happening with blaz, so you have no point.

18. Xeno

Xeno New Member

I doubt there are many players that care for originality anymore. Everyone just wants one thing, WIN! VICTORY! THE PRIZES! I doubt there would be anything to solve this. What if we do get BAR decks banned somehow? Then some new deck will take its spot and the cycle will go on. Then we ban this deck too, right? Then another one will rise in its place! Don't you all see this?

19. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

I personally don't want to see a *ban* on Pokemon-ex cards, merely a limitation on how many total Pokemon-ex and how many of an individual Pokemon-ex can be played in one deck (I'd like to see 3 and 1 respectively).

Rare Candy is not a problem for most decks. You either run Candy (Gardy, BAR, Kabutops, swarm) or you don't (TA, Espeon, M2X, etc.). The problem isn't Rare Candy, it's the overall speed of the format (Delcatty). If that one card were limited to 1 or errated to one TOTAL per turn, then the entire format would become so incredibly wide open it's not funny.

20. Pablo

Pablo New Member

exactly my point, what would be the difference if Niniken would rule all? and yeah i may be unorginal, but originality doesnt have much chance now a days, and with the money i spend on cards, i want to win

-MuD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.