Illinois State Championships Deck Report

Discussion in 'State/Province/Territory Championships' started by bullados, Apr 18, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

First of all, if you don't wanna listen to me "whine and complain like normally do" then just leave right now.

I woke up at 6:00 b/c I had to go to an AP Marco review session at 8 and the school is a good drive from my house. I think that...

Never mind that. Anyhoo, I was talking to Will (TheDuece) on Friday night and he gave me some advise on how my deck is supposed to look. Well, needless to say, I took his advise. Let's see how it went...

I was almost frantic before the start of the thing to complete this, and I graciously thank the person who traded me the 2 Delcatty for a Wailord ex and M2X.

First, the deck

Pokemon (22):
    4 Dunsparce
    2 Wobbuffet
    2 Skitty (RS44)
    2 Delcatty
    4 Ralts
    3 Kirlia
    3 Gardevior
    2 Gardevoir ex

Trainers (20):
    3 Dual Ball
    2 Town Volunteers
    4 Rare Candy
    2 Copycat
    4 Star Piece
    4 POR
    1 TV Reporter

Energy (18):
    13 Psychic
    3 Boost
    2 Double Rainbow

Round 1 vs Jimmy (modified TM theme deck)
    I got a fast start (Dunsparce & Ralts) and he never really got off the ground. This was a quick and easy win in 15 mins. His one Fighting type Claydol never stood a chance against mty Gex, and I only lost my Spare.
    1-0, 3 pts.

Round 2 vs Vince (TA Kyogre/Manectric/LanturnMightyena)
    This was a 5\/\/337 deck. I thuroughly enjoyed being trounced by it. I had both of my Gex in my prizes, as well as both DRE. He got a near perfect setup, as did I, but I used Energy Draw too often and went energy dry. Also, his Mighty was a royal pain in the butt. He won, mostly b/c of some stupid mistakes on my part.
    1-1, 3 pts

Round 3 vs Ricky (Gardy)
    I had a long talk with him earlier in the day (after the tourney had started) on how to improve his Gardy deck. Needless to say, I knew his deck almost as well as he did. He started with Skitty, I had a Ralts with a Kirlia and a Double Rainbow in my hand. 3 turns, and it was over. He never got a 2nd Basic. I hate winning like that...
    2-1, 6 pts

Round 4 vs Will (Swampert/ex/Suicune ex)
    I started with a Wobbuffet, and the game went downhill from that. He got a near perfect setup in only about 4 turns and had 3 Swampert and Swampert ex out before I could even get my first Gardy or Gex. I'm beginning to think that this deck is not as good as my old version...
    2-2, 6 pts

Round 5 vs Abraham (Gardy/ex/Wobbuffet)
    Mirror match, and I'm usually good in these. I got a good setup, but got 3 energy cards the entire game. I didn't get one KO, and he pwned me majorly. I'm really gonna look over and gut this deck when I get home.
    2-3, 6 pts

Round6 vs Thomas (Whishcash trash)
    Same as the last game, only I didn't even get an evolution out. I made a stupid play in the beginning by not evolving my active Skitty to Delcatty and having a chance at winning, and that cost me the game. He got nothing but that Whishcash out, no bench whatsoever. I should have won, but I never got a hand to beat him with...
    2-4, 6 pts

After the tourney, I took a serious look over my deck and discovered three major things wrong with it.
    (1) I dont' know how to play with Delcatty. Not only that, but my experiences showed me that I started with it all to often. I took him out of this deck and threw him into my Blaze/trash deck.
    (2) It is almost impossible to get that first Gardy out. After that, with Star Piece, it's easy to get out anything that I need, but the first evolution was impossible. I took out a Rare Candy and a Star Piece for Fast Balls and Wynauts to cover that problem.
    (3) Wobbuffet is a terrible starter. I started with him 3 times today, counting the matches I played against Jeffrey before the tourney started. I took out 1 and left him as TecH.

Props go to...
    The guy who traded me his 2 Delcatty. Thx man. It's almost impossible to get one of those things through regular trading.
    Alan, the TO, for bearing with the system, which we all know is terrible.
    Sean. That makes 2 in a row, buddy!!!

Slops go to...
    Will, for very bad deck advise...

2. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

Hey, try linone instead with the Garde deck, otherwise it looks solid.

See you soon, and glad it went well.

How many players???

Meganium45

3. HypnosProjectHQ

HypnosProjectHQ New Member

That Gardy/ex list does look pretty bad. Copycat? Double Raindow? WHY!?! I never ever used Star Peice in my Gardy decks and I did perfectly fine. I also never used Dunsparce, and used Wynaut instead.

-1 Kirlia
    -4 Dunsparce
    -4 Star Peice
    -2 Rainbow Energy
    -2 Copycat
    +3 Wynaut
    +1 Boost Energy
    +4 Pokemon Reversal
    +2 TV Reporter
    +3 Psychic Energy

That should help a bit... ;)

Congradulations for not complaining a whole ton though! ;)
    Nice sportsmanship!

4. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

If you have Gard ex fully powered and attach DRE to benched Gard RS, Kirlia or evolved Wobbuffet it is a double Plus Power that doesn't discard like Boost.

5. TheDeuce

TheDeuce New Member

Hey now, don't blame me, the advice I gave you was good, I used almost the same deck as I suggest to you, and I did well in 3 City Championships with it.

It's not the deck, it's the player ;)

6. soslowpoke

soslowpoke New Member

37 total

7. HypnosProjectHQ

HypnosProjectHQ New Member

LOL! Will, that deck list does kinda stink...

And you used Xatu instead of Delcatty. Also, you used Professor Birch instead of Copycat! lol ;)

8. BANGINBOX

BANGINBOX New Member

put in his place

Hey ego-boy,
    Last time I check your version of Gardy lost to an 8 YEAR OLD in brookfield. I would take Wills advice anyday.

your welcome Will,
    jimmy

9. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

*cough* Can we keep the personal remarks/trashtalk off the board, please? *looks around pointedly* :nonono:

'mom

10. bullados

lol, I actually did make all of the changes that I outlined at the bottom of my deck report. It looked something like this...

-2 Skitty
    -2 Delcatty
    -1 Star Piece
    -1 Rare Candy
    -1 Wobbuffet
    +3 Wynaut
    +3 Fast Ball

11. TheDeuce

TheDeuce New Member

Well, I didn't build him the deck...

I offered him a few suggestions, (one of which was to take out Copycat actually) some of them he took, and some of them he didn't. But, he built the deck not me, I just suggested that Delcatty or Xatu are the 2 best compliments to a Gardevoir deck.

12. bullados

you did mention the TV Rep, but I didn't have any. I managed to trade for some midway through the tourney, but the Delcatty just weren't working out that well. I'd either start with a Skitty (two games) or I'd NRG Draw myself dry (2 more). I decided to drop the Cat b/c I had no clue how it was supposed to work. Also, I've found that TV Rep isn't as good as many people claim b/c it thins the deck more than I'd like (consider that Gardy needs the deck to be large in order to work effectively). I also have found that so many people are now playing Delcatty and TV Rep that I can easily play a Copycat for 7 or more, save what I had which could be useful for later, and get a whole new hand, something that (will, you can attest to this) I desperately need, mostly b/c of my extremely bad luck in terms of topdecking (ie, 3 Gardy, no Candy or Kirlia)...

13. Man bullados...you whine too much....*CMT's charizard roasts bullados all over*

See ya

14. bullados

whine, whine whine whine whine. I don't deny it. It seems to be the only way that I can get any sort of point accross in this board.

15. soslowpoke

soslowpoke New Member

...but did you actually end up getting your point across?

16. bullados

I wrote it, I'll live with it.

17. Ice'Cold

Ice'Cold Active Member

Yeah dude, delcatty isnt bad in a gardy deck if you use it right. That deck is seriously messed up, drop the star peice...

18. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

OK, no matter how you are doing this, you are doing it wrong.

Drop the star piece.

If you are going to keep the Delcatty, add in Oracles. Oracle + Delcatty = nasty combo.

Worried about energy - Energy Restore/Fisherman/Energy Recycle System

Or, do what the REAL Garde players do, and play Linoone.

Laugh, then try it, getting any 2 cards you want really helps your deck...need a rare candy, go get it!

Need a Garde EX and a Boost - GO Get it.

Need a Ralts and a Rare Candy - GO get it!!!

oh, and RAY hates to see a Linoone coming....two lucky heads, one bad scenario.

M45

19. bullados

I need to play this deck the way that I see fit. A secondary searching evolution line, to me, is not the best way to go, mostly because it takes up either one of my attacking turns (Linoone) or one of my energies (Delcatty). Subsequently, I dropped all forms of that 2nd evolution line and went straight Gardy/Gex. I have found that Star Piece is actually very good for this deck, considering that there are no Pokemon Tools that are actually worth using, and also considering Gardy's Poke-POWER. It is NOT my first choice of searching, Fast Ball and Dual Ball serve that purpose for me. It is merely an alternate way to get out what I need to get out.

Also, I haven't seen Ray ex in such a long time, I've almost forgotten what it does... (almost)...

20. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Usually, Amphy/ex decks run straight Amphy/ex. Sometimes Lanturn, sometimes Magneton, sometimes Delcatty, but the best use straight Amphy/ex.

Usually, Kingdra/ex decks run straight Kingdra/ex. Sometimes *shudder* Hariyama, but the best of the best use straight Kingdra/ex with some tECh (ditto, wobbo)

Usually, Gardevoir/ex decks run straight Gardevoir. Sometimes Delcatty, sometimes Xatu, but THE BEST OF THE BEST USE STRAIGHT GARDEVOIR/EX.

Pokemon: 19
    4 Ralts
    2 Kirlia
    3 Gardevoir
    2 Gardevoir ex
    4 Wynaut
    2 Wobbuffet (many people disagree with me here, but it's solid, and you don't start often with him. dropping it to two is good)
    2 Ditto

Energy: 18
    14 Psychic
    4 Boost

Trainers: 23
    4 POR
    4 Reporter
    3 Rare Candy
    3 Oracle
    3 Oran Berry
    2 Potion
    2 Shaman
    1 Nurse
    1 Volunteers

Pretty standard. Looks like almost every Gardy list I've seen run that won. No M2ex, no Delcatty, no Xatu. Oracle is still good, even without Delcatty.

If you must insist on using Kitty:

Pokemon: 21
    4 Ralts
    2 Kirlia
    3 Gardevoir
    2 Gardevoir ex
    2 Skitty
    2 Delcatty
    4 Wynaut
    2 Wobbuffet

Energy: 20
    14 Psychic
    3 Boost
    3 DRE

Trainers: 19
    4 Oracle
    4 Reporter
    3 POR
    2 Shaman
    1 Volunteers
    2 Nurse
    3 Oran Berry

Once again, one of the hands down best Delcatty versions, but version one gets ya the best results.

***per