I'm kinda scared to try, but I'll do it anyway... Drown in Flames deck

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Fawkes0126, Apr 18, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fawkes0126

Fawkes0126 New Member

Pokemon: (11)
    Ru/ Sa pokemon-
    Torchic #73 (x2)
    Combusken #s 27 & 28 (x1 ea.)
    Blaziken #15 (x1)

TA vs. TM pokemon
    Team Aqua's Spheal #56 (x1)
    Team Aqua's Sealeo #31 (x1)
    Team Aqua's Walrein #6 (x1)
    Entei EX (x1)
    Suicune EX (x1)
    Blaziken EX (x1)

Trainers: (18)
    Expedition trainers:
    Professor Oak's Research (x1)
    Bill's Maintenance (x1)
    Energy Search (x1)

Aquapolis trainers:
    Forest Guardian (x1)

Ru/ Sa trainers-
    Switch
    Poke Ball
    Potion (x4)
    Energy Restore
    PokeNav
    Lady Outing

SS trainers:
    Rare Candy (To get Blaze or Walrein out quicker)

Dragon trainers:
    High Pressure System

TA vs. TM trainers:
    Team Aqua Conspirator
    Team Aqua Ball (x2)

Energy: (31)
    Fire Energy (x18)
    Water Energy (x12)
    Aqua Energy (x1)

Okay, I know it probably needs work. Any suggestions?

2. registeel

registeel New Member

well I don't think this is going to work ur returning and discarding so many energy cards and nothing is here to get the back/attach them again and alot of these cards are singles try adding somthing like Blaziken holo or Swampert holo and have about 3 of them

3. MegaVelocibot

MegaVelocibot <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

4 words: WAY too much energy. I recommend 12 fire and 9 water. It seems crazy, but it works. Next, because you have just freed up 9 spaces, plug in 3 energy search, 1 more torchic, 1 more blaz, 1 more Team Aqua's Sphea, 1 more Team Aqua's Sealo, and 1 more Team Aqua's Walreign. That lessens your Mulligan rate significantly. Swap the Poké Ball for another Aqua Ball, and add another rare candy. I'l let you know what else I think of :nonono:

4. Fawkes0126

Fawkes0126 New Member

Well that's not true. There's the energy restore for that. And I can put more in, if needed. And LorakLucan, I need that much energy because of discards. I also don't have as much of the cards that your talking about. I'm pretty much to my limit of cards mentioned on this list.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  5. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

Well, I'm afraid Jesus won't solve ALL your problems, because to get this deck working you'll need help from deck mechanics here at the gym.

My contribution is just a few thoughs on deck buiding in general. First, having pokemon cards in your deck isn't about being techically able to evolve into something powerful as Blaziken ex or Walrein. It's more about being statistically able to do so. Remeber your 60 cards aren't laying face-up in front of you, so you can just pull out what you need. You have to draw them out of a random shuffled deck one or more at a time, depending on what your attacks, poké-powers or trainer cards allow you to do.

So you need more copies of cards to increase the probability of getting what you need, and you need cards that lead to the cards you need.

Example:
    4 Dunsparces in your deck gives you a 43% chance of ending up with him in your starting hand, and then his attack gives you three basic pokemon on your bench... not bad in my opinion. As you then can concentrate on finding your next level pokemons (Stage 1 and 2). And for that you need a draw/search engine, cards that bring out other cards.

This is where people let their tastes and playing style guide them, since there are so many possibilities. You have chosen a few cards specifically for the aqua-pokemons, and that leaves 1 Prof. Oak's Research, 1 Bill's Maintenance, 1 Guardian, 1 PokeNav & 1 Pokeball to help build up the rest of your team. That is less then half of what is usual in my opinion. To not rip your draw engine apart, but rather build on it, I'd suggeest:

4 Prof Oaks Research (or Copycat?)
    4 Bill's Maintenance (or TV Reporter?)
    2 Forrest Guardian, and
    3 PokeNav's

But there are no written rules as to how a draw engine should be. So be critical about this and make up your own mind after palytesting different ideas.

Wheras you lack copies of your pokemons (having only 5 Basic's is not enough, anything between 10-13 is normal in many decks), you have a[n over]load of energy cards. Most deck settle with less then 20 energies, even if you have to have two of a kind (water/fire).

Hope this helps, even if it's not a complete ready-made fixed deck-list.

Oh, one more thing... If you are short on cards, buying a starter deck might be a natural step. Although those 60 cards are by no means usable in a competative environment, they can make nice contributions to almost any deck. My favorite is the Abyss theme deck which gives you 3 professor Oak's Research, a Town Volunteer, and many other useful cards. I have a complete list if you're serious about getting this deck. (Just send me a private message)

6. Why do you have SuikuneEX in there?You know that SuicuneEX is the BlazeEX and Blaze counter.Your playing Blaze!Look playing Blaze with Walrein diesn't work Blaze's power doesn't help Walrein try a plain fire deck like this:

Pokemon22
    Torchicx4
    Combuskenx2
    Blazikenx4(3?)
    BlazikenEXx1(2?)
    (you could take out a Blaze for a BlazeEX)
    EnteiEXx1
    Dunsparcex4(Realy helps here getting EnteiEX out fast)
    Vulpixx3
    Ninetailsx3

Trainers20
    Rare Candyx4
    PORx4
    TV Reporterx4
    Oraclex4
    Warp Pointx2
    HPSx2

Energy18
    Firex18

7. Pokekid

Pokekid New Member

ugh not another one....

8. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

Ah... It's easy to hit that reply button instead of edit...

Nevertheless remember not everybody was born a ready-made true TCG legend... Some people has to learn this game by trial and error.

9. nikePK

nikePK New Member

Yeah, take those tips and advice from Daddiursa, he put it very well. Also, the Team Aqua theme deck itself isn't too bad, you actually get some decently useable cards from it in this environment. If you can get them for cheap, try and get the Aquapolis starter deck, it has Ninetales and Kingdra in it, I forget what its called. In that it gives you like 3 Juggler and some Prof Oak's Research along with Pokemon Fanclubs... really really great stuff in this format.

I've heard that some Skyridge (I think the xatu one...) Theme Decks give you really great trainers also, so check those out for your trainer/draw power needs.

As for Pokemon, I think that either Ruby/Sapphire and Dragon Boosters would be your best bets on what is going to be the most playable stuff you pull, although Sandstorm has some really good cards to it also. You can also playtest different things, find what works and trade online with people for the cards to finish your newly made deck.

Good luck with all of it.

10. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

The Skyridge deck is called Mind Machine - and I think I've done a pretty good job of snapping them all up that were on clearance on the web.

2 oracle, 2 oaks research, 1 town Vol, no kidding!

M45

11. If you are making a new deck and are new to the game the best boosters for pokemon are R/S Sandstorm and Dragon TM/TA are good to but instead of wasting time trying to get good cards out of those you can just buy the starters.I prefer TA starter better but I ear in some places TM starter costs more.

12. Fawkes0126

Fawkes0126 New Member

Daddiursa: Thanks for your tips, but I would appreciate it if you didn't make comments such as that in the future. And I already have the Abyss theme deck.

Ancient Pokemon Trainer: I need those water cards (my idea) forfending off other Blaze EXs and, of course, fire cards in general.

13. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

Well, since you bring it up here I'm gonna have to answer it. I have nothing bad to say about Jesus. I believe in freedom of religion and respect all religions (thought that doesn't mean I respect all actions performed in the name of religion).

But to say Jesus is no pokemon Deck Mechanic, I can. And there's no disrespect in that. He has never claimed to be one either. I believe Jesus would have laughed with me on this one. Don't forget to laught even if you are a very religions person.

But we can stick to Pokemon TCG in the future can't we? Glad you liked the fix though. I would encourage everyone to pick up on the game, as there is nothing that beats participating in a tense pokemon TCG tournament with a deck you really believe in.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  14. MegaVelocibot

MegaVelocibot <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

Okay, it seems to me that you have two tangent focuses of your deck: either (and this is just a suggestion) you limit yourself to a Fire-based "Blaz ex" focus or a Water-based "defend Blaz ex" focus. It seems like you are straining to do both, but that's just me...

Anyway, I will put in a fix that can benefit either way:
    -3 fire
    -1 water
    +2 growlithe (exSS)
    +2 arcanine (exSS)

That "Fire Veil" poké-body has won me quite a few games... if you attach 1 fire + 2 water to Arcanine, you can use its attack every turn (provided you have a back-up Fire energy in your hand just in case of tails).

Remember, these are (this is?) just (a?) suggestions.

15. Alright water to deflect Blaziken and BlazikenEX and other fire pokemon so lets list all the common decklists.

Nineken(Blaziken/Ninetails/Delcatty/BlazikenEX)
    Blaziken(/Rayquaza(RayquazaEX/BlazikenEX/Blaziken/Delcatty)
    BAR(RayquazaEX/Blaziken/BlazikenEX/Delcatty/Ampharos AmpharosEX or TAManectric)

Lessly played decks
    Sceptile deck(Sceptile/SceptileEX)

Those are all superior decks I've seen played by people in my oppinion great players.

Lets counter all of them!Here is a water deck list to try out.

Pokemon22
    Swampertx3(Water Call)
    Marshtompx3
    Mudkipx3
    Dittox2
    TASphealx3
    TASealeox3
    TAWalreinx3
    Dunsparcex2

Trainers21
    Crystal Shardx2(deflect Sceptile's resistance of water)
    Potionx4
    Switchx3
    Pokemon Reversalx2
    PORx4
    Professor Birchx3
    Bill's Maintanencex3

Energy17
    Multix4(Dark for TAWalrein Power Blow does tons of damage)
    Waterx13

You could try this also:
    -2 Ditto +2 Shard
    or
    -2Ditto
    +2Wobs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.