Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Iron Chef Questions, Concerns, etc

Cyrus

Iron Chef - Master Emeritus
Post your questions/concerns/etc about the contest here. Before posting, please check this continuously-updating first post to see if your question (if you have one) has been answered.

“=( The last time i entered there were far few people. Is this a sign of increased visibility(front page) or that the player base has significantly increased?”

A little of everything. First and foremost, people have been waiting two years for this opportunity, and now they have it. Secondly, the visibility, in my opinion, has contributed to at least 30 or 40 more people signing up. Registration was already booming in the random topic center, but front page=win.
Oh yeah, and lots of people like Pokemon.

“Is this HEAD-TO-HEAD or in HEATS of 4s ?”

While I will leave specifics ambiguous right now, the first 2-3 rounds will be “qualifying” rounds, where you try to earn your way into the top 64 deckbuilders of the contest. From there, I will do head-to-head single elimination.

“how much time do we get to write a list?”

To be announced at the beginning of each round. Rest assured, though, that I will give all competitors ample time. In the past, I have usually given competitors a few days to complete their entry.

"So at any time in the torney will we be using redhsark/apprentice?"

NO...Unless you want to. You are being graded on your lists (and the thought behind them) ONLY!

"What is the format?"

I will be doing the contest primarily in DP-on format; however, expect the unexpect...In other words, expect ANYTHING.

"When should the tournament start Cyrus."

A few days after registration closes. I am leaning towards a September 4th/5th start date.

"Is there a warm-up round?"

No; however, the contest is pretty self-explanatory, and you will get a chance to get used to my judging during round one (everyone will get to build at least two decks).

Do we get pm'd our pairings/card we have to build around?

No - all of the card challenges will be posted in this subforum.

"Can I sign up someone else for the contest who is not on Pokegym?"

No you may not, unless I give you special permission.

Last edited:
What happens if I'm not online when the round begins? Is the time I get to submit a decklist closet to an hour, a day, several days...?

Can you try to fit the rounds of the contest into weekend days?
In general most people have school/work mo-fr, so during a weekend more time to work on their list.

My brother has made an account, but he still can't post because the Child permission thing either didn't go through, or TC hasn't looked at it yet. If he can't post by the end
of the Sign-Up date, can I register for him?

CYRUS: Have you contacted Team Compendium about this yet? I will be more than happy to let him join, but I am very serious about not breaking the deadline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Send them to me via PM when the time comes. As always, submission starts with when I post the challenges, and terminates when the deadline has passed.

When we PM you out decklist what would you want the Subject to be?

EXCELLENT QUESTION! I post more official E-mail info later, but to tide you over, please include:

-Pod #
-Competitor # and/or user name
-The challenge (less necessary to put in the title)

SO basically, put down your pod #/competitor # (as listed in the pods topic), and you'll be fine.

So all we gotta do is PM you our deck? How do we win to advance as one of the top 8 from our Pod? Is there voting or do you choose?

Since one can only hold 50 messages in one's PM box at a time, how will you handle all the incoming decklists?

My box was expanded to 200 during the last big Iron Chef contest, and will be expanded to 500 for this contest.
Flygon999: So all we gotta do is PM you our deck? How do we win to advance as one of the top 8 from our Pod? Is there voting or do you choose?

Yes, that's all you do. I judge your matches, and for these rounds there will be NO voting. Voter override only kicks in during single elimination, when you can actually choose one over another.

Lil Magma:What happens in the event of a tie?

Good question! Normally I would describe this, but long story short...I will handle these as they come. Since the purposes of these rounds is to give people the same equal Iron Chef experience, while simultaneously weeding out competitors, I will get back to you if this becomes relevant.

Last edited:
Okay, so, if we write a big article on our deck submission, will it help? Or is ONLY the list of the 60 cards in the deck being graded?

Stigma,

The purpose of a writeup is to explain your deck to me. It only helps your grade INDIRECTLY - your writeup will not be graded. Its only direct relevance to grading is if it becomes too long of a writupe.

Back