Is my lower HP Pokemon KO'd if I try to target my opponent's higher with Bring Down?

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by ShawofMordor, Jan 17, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. ShawofMordor

ShawofMordor New Member

So,

I read here in the compendium and was a bit surprised because I don't feel this is how the card is played.

Specifically let's go to Case 2 where there are Ralts on the field, and the attacking player has one with damage, and the opponent has one damage free. The attacking player says "I'll bring down your Ralts." Per Jimmer's reply this is an illegal statement so the attack cannot be executed in that way, but the player is in the active phase. Thus the player would be free to either use another attack or pass.

You guys make the rules - so if that is how it should be ruled I'm all for it, but I would like to say that I see usually what happens is this:

Player 1: "Brind Down on your X"

Player 2: "Your Y has less HP left, sorry."

Then Player 2 takes a prize and Player 1 feels extremely silly to say the least.

I've seen this situation play out at many tournaments and I feel that the consensus is that it is the correct way to do it.

If we are to hold to Jimmer's answer that would be a very forgiving way to handle it.

Are we doing that? Can I rule that way at tournaments? I understand every once in awhile a response in ATM is incorrect for whatever reason - just a human mistake. I want to make sure that I can back up my decision at a tournament because I know if this gets brought up and I rule the player can choose a different attack I will get challenged. While in the end it is up to the judge and the rules don't care if the players disagree, my personal style of judging is to make sure the player understands why I'm ruling how I do so that they won't leave the tournament with any bad feelings.

2. mtjimmer

mtjimmer Master Trainer, Emeritus

I received a clarification from Japan on how PCL handles such things.

Basically, if someone announces Bring Down, no matter what the target, it resolves on the Pokemon that meets the criteria. If your opponent lets you rewind, that's okay, but not expected. (Yes, you would be forced to use Bring Down on your own Pokemon if you're not paying attention.)

I'm going back and re-answering the earlier question.