Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Is the GameCube the new N64?

LTEDDYBEAR

I've been debating whether or not to invest in a GameCube or save until they come out with another system. I'm wanting to know how long will it be before a system replaces the GameCube or do you think it will live on like the N64?

Though, that is just an estimate. The Gamecube could go for even longer than that, depending on how much competition it has. I have seen signs of Microsoft's XBOX POSSIBLY loosing support. If this does happen, it might last even longer.

Nintendo's next system, supposedly, is for 2005. This means there's over a year, possibly 2 years until this next system comes out. This will ensure the Cube's survival for at least that long, possibly longer. Nintendo's systems tend to last a long time.
Just get the Cube. They're quite cheap now, and you'll definitely get use out of it.

Last edited:
Okay here are the facts of what I know...

In Japan, XBOX stunk badly! Believe it or not. Gamecube is still out running it worldwide probably because of the recent price drop. Nintendo is working on a new system development and is racing to outrun any PS3 coming. However even then you won't expect anything truly exciting until late 2005. Watch late 2004 for any upcoming news.

Lets clarify that N64 is the third generation system while Gamecube is the fourth. Both are made by Nintendo. The N64 was fun for its day but I say it is time to move on to bigger dreams. That is why Gamecube came out. The nintendo 64 was the only 64-bit system to be released outbeating the technology specs of the PS1 and the Sega Saturn. However here is the catch... it was too tech. Developers had too much of a hard time making games on this system because the technology was way too advanced for the era. Although this was slowly resolved through the years, Nintendo made sure the Gamecube was not too hot not too cold but just right. Which is why it doesn't have CD/DVD capablities because by 2001 people was already having either a PS2 or a DVD player in their home. Gamecube was inexpensive all around, but still has the same great game qualities as any other fourth generation system.

If there ever was a weakness in the cube I would have to say their online game options. Currently there is only one online game (Phantasy Star Online i/ii) while there is only one LAN based game (Kirby's Air Ride). The biggest strength has to be the GBA/GCN connectivity.

mysterioustrainer said:
If there ever was a weakness in the cube I would have to say their online game options. Currently there is only one online game (Phantasy Star Online i/ii) while there is only one LAN based game (Kirby's Air Ride).

Whoa Whoa WHOA!!! From the sound of things (no offense), it seems like you havent been paying much attention.

LAN compatibility
Mario Kart
Kirby Air Ride
1080 number 2 (coming soon)

Online games
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution (coming out in February 2004)

even though it still isnt much of a big difference, it is better than just one of each. Another thing I should mention is that people with Broadband adapters (a.k.a: Not me :lol: ) can access a new program that people are making called Project Warp Pipe, which allows Broadband adapter owners to play the 3 LAN games online.

Arthas_Zero said:
Another thing I should mention is that people with Broadband adapters (a.k.a: Not me :lol: ) can access a new program that people are making called Project Warp Pipe, which allows Broadband adapter owners to play the 3 LAN games online.
Yhea... playing Mario Kart Online with WarpPipe is so cool.... :D

"Xbox will dies 1st"

Rofl. Not in the US. The cube is last.

That doens't mean its a bad buy though, its still a good system and a heckuva lot cheaper than anything else on the market. Depends on what kind of games you like that determines which system to buy. Don't just buy it cuz its from Nintendo, buy it cuz of the games you like.

Back