Just a basic Glaceon starter deck, looking for a bit more

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by POKEMAN, Jul 26, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POKEMAN

POKEMAN New Member

Ok, it's been a while since I've been here, OR in the card game, due to college and money limiting my time for playing and my card-buying resources :biggrin: Today I decided to buy a few cards, but keep it cheap, just to play for fun. I went to a local card shop and picked up a glaceon (excuse me, a "polar frost") starter deck and a Majestic Dawn booster (along with a 100pack of cheap sleeves). Anyway, I have ever-so-slightly modified it, and the decklist is as follows:

POKEMON:

4 pikachu

4 electrike
    3 manectric

4 eevee
    1 jolteon
    1 glaceon
    1 umbreon

4 piplup
    2 prinplup
    1 empoleon

TRAINERS:

2 energy search :rolleyes:
    2 quickball
    2 potion...meh
    2 warp point :smile:
    2 Mom's kindness
    1 duskball

ENERGY:

12 Lightning
    11 Water
    1 Call energy

Strategy: not much, it seems to be a very basic deck though I am planning on a few things to make it better. First off, I removed the Shellos (2 of 'em) and a H2O energy in favour of the umbreon, an extra manectric, and the call nrg. I also plan on deleting the pikachu or empoleon in favour of strengthing the other line (pika gone to add empoleon, and vice versa). I still need to work in my dark energy to actually USE the unbreon, which brings out my first question.

I have 2 different types of Dark energy, the 10+ damage kind and the effectless kind, is the 10+ still playable in the current set rotation? or are we limited to the generic, effectless kind?

Also, more importantly, can someone point me to the current list for back cards that have been reprinted? Teh list of current playable cards. I know there is one around somewhere, but I don't even remember where I saw it, it's been a LONG time. Serebii maybe? :confused:

Anyway, I am also looking to buy a few more cards eventually, and am wanting to know which set would be the best to pull from? Again, the last time I played (cards) competitively was in '06 at worlds (went 6-1 with my rock-lock deck), so I am out of it with the current rotation, but I do know the game and strategy pretty good and have a good deal of 06 and before cards to pull from for this deck, but I am really just wanting a deck that I can play with and not feal like a cheapo started deck, lol.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

POKEMAN

2. mario1

mario1 New Member

Some Help

Okay so yes the special dark energies have been changed since it's original in neo but are still playable and if you check www.pokebeach.com they have a easily accessible list for playable and reprinted cards.

As for the deck you are extremely heavy on energy cards you should average about 15-17 energies on average. So add more trainers and try to find more empoleons like 1-2 more.

Have Fun!:smile:

3. POKEMAN

POKEMAN New Member

Thanks for the fast reply. I know I am extremely heavy on the energy cards, the starter decks always are (12 and 12 in every starter deck I've ever gotten, so it was expected). I generally run about 16 energy in my decks, so that is a good suggestion, though I have been known to run 12-14 in the tighter decks (rocklock had 12 or 13 depending on which of my lists I was playing).

Thanks for the link to pokebeach. I totally forgot about that site, I will probably create an updated list very soon using a lot of my reprinted cards.

Also, the empoleon from Majestic Dawn doesn't seem all that good, could you fill in a bit on how it should be used, and is there a better version available?

Man, I'm really starting to get back into this (not that I every really stopped being into it, just couldn't afford it lol!)

POKEMAN

4. mario1

mario1 New Member

sure

Well the Majestic Dawn empoleon is actually an extremely good card if used well. It's first attack for two energies deals 30 damage to two af your opponents pokemon, this is great for spreading damage. Also it's second attack can deal min. of 50 and max. of 100 depending on your bench, it's +10 for each of your benched pokemon. then you flip if tails 10 to each of your bench. Most of the play of this card is to spread lots of damage and hopefully take two pokemon. then surf together, it's second attack is for finishing purposes.

5. POKEMAN

POKEMAN New Member

Allright sweet! That is basically what I was thinking, though I wasn't sure if there was a better version out there. Maybe I should focus on Empoleon, as that last competitive deck I played was Rock-lock, and this empoleon seems to have a similar strategy though it IS lacking the ATM-Rock among other things :biggrin:

BTW, I found the card list at pokebeach, but it is not linked (I can't click on it) is it member restricted? Or just glitchy right now or for my PC?

I'm going to go digging through some other decks and see what trainer systems are being played so I can get an idea of what's still legal. It's been a LONG time...

POKEMAN

6. butlerforhire

butlerforhire New Member

Omastar (also from MD) is used in some Empoleon variants to basically do what ATM Rock did, with the pro being it is a Power and not an attack and the cons being it only is usable the turn you bring Omastar into play and it involves a stage 2 line that requires a Fossil you can't really search for. It's generally not something you need to rush out though, so with the proper engine it should be able to reliably come out mid to late game and net you some KOs. Bronzong (MD) is another card people typically combine with Empoleon to spread damage further across the entire board without even requiring an energy attachment (its attack is free, plus it has a Body that hits stuff with Powers between every turn).

The webmaster of Pokebeach has said numerous times on the site that he has a ton of things he is looking to add/implement/improve in the future there, and all of the stuff you see listed on the left-hand side that is not linked is basically stuff that is "to come."

So, are you looking to get back into the game full throttle, willing/able to spend the money, etc.? I wasn't sure if you were intending people to fix this up as a slightly more competitive "fun" deck or if you actually wanted to use this as the basis for a legit return to the scene.

Either way, you mentioned engines and so I can give you some heads up on that because they'll be applicable whichever direction you take. Since DP-on is looming and this season is basically over I'll just be talking about DP-on stuff. If you look around you'll see almost every deck has Claydol. Since you were around back in '06 you know about Pideot, and although this can't search stuff out direct, it is comparable to that card because it is such a staple and such a consistency booster. Next season it won't likely change. Call energy is being used by a lot of people to replace traditional starters, as it can allow anything you open with to net you basics for your set up. "Actual" starters include Pokemon like Stantler, Chatot (MD) and Pachirisu (GE). As far as trainers go, Roseanne's Research and Bebe's Search are the two best searchers, with Roseanne's able to grab you energy and/or Pokemon and Bebe's getting you any Pokemon-- basic, evolution, level X, whatever. The best straight draw trainers include Professor Oak's Visit and Felicity's Drawing, which are very similar to TV Reporter and Holon Adventurer, respectively, while the upcoming Buck's Training and Cynthia's Plan from Legends Awakened will surely see play as well. Pokebeach has translations for that set and the one after it up by the way. Some people utilize balls (Quick, Dusk, Great) for additional search power that doesn't require the use of a Supporter. Some of the playable cards still around from way back when are Warp Point, Super Scoop Up, Switch, the aforementioned Great Ball, and PlusPower. Nightly Garbage Run, from way back in the original Team Rocket set if you were around then, basically got reprinted with a new name as Night Maintenance as well.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  7. MetronOob

MetronOob New Member

You could also focus on a glaceon. Go a 4 eevee 2glacepn 2 glaceon lvx 1 espeon 1umbreon, but you would have to figure out wat to combine with it.

8. Rai

Rai <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Hm hm hmm...

Well, although you might not like the pokemon, it's VERY hard to go wrong with the trainers that are available out of the Secret Wonders starter decks (Magmortar is probably the better one, though Electivire and Leafeon is actually a decent combonation next format if you like Eeveelutions. ...Actually, I just realized both Magmortar and Electivire go with Leafeon LV.X. ://)

I also highly recommend bringing energy down to ~16, while using 4 call energies (so this should be about 12 basic energies). For trainers that you can find easily, see the Secret Wonders decks for Roseanne's and Oak's Visit (AND Galactic's Mars, IIRC). Maybe picking up some DP1 might be worthwhile too, as Professor Rowan is fairly good for Shuffle-Draw (similar to Oak's Research in how it eliminates your bad hands), and Energy Switch is a nice trick that's unexpected, yet fairly easy to find. Try to keep about 3 copies of every trainer at minimum, though some like Energy Switch and Warp Point are fine in copies of two.

As for pokemon... Just remember to try and keep about 4 copies of the basic, and around 3 copies of the evolutions if at all possible, and you'll probably be fine. Since a lot of pokemon are very powerful, it's largely the trainer engine you have that'll make or break decks (sure, cards like Gallade are REDICULOUS. They'll lose every match though if you don't have a decent trainer line set up)

Oh, and if you do intend to keep playing Eevees... Take a look at Multi Energy; it'll help Umbreon and Espeon quite a bit.

9. POKEMAN

POKEMAN New Member

Haha! Now that was what I was needing! Thanks Buttlerforhire! WOW! NGR is back?!?! I thought that wold never happen! I have enough of them to make a small house, so that is nice to know. What about TV reporter? Probably not, but it was reprinted a time or two, so maybe.

Metronoob, I like the eevees, but I'm sure they are competitive enough for me, though I haven't seen the most recent printings.

Rai, good advice, just maybe a bit more basic than I needed in some areas, but you still raise some good points. I'm not sure I will stick with the eeveelutions or with empoleon, maybe even both with a suped-up totally modded version of this starter deck, nahhh... maybe not. I like your thinking with the trainers.

I think I would like to make a psudo rocklock deck that is good for the next format. I'm willing to spend a few bucks for a good deck, but I'm not looking to sweep any tournies anyway (for now, it may change later). Where I live, the closest league is about 45min away (Riverside, California) and local tournies, forget about it, hour and a half minimum and poorly organized on top of that (scheduled to start at 11am, but some TO's pet is running late and it doesn't start 'till 3:30pm).

Ahah, I just remembered that I DO have a few cards that are DP that I got from a friend a few months back! :runs to check:

Ok, found a Rowan, seems decent enough, as well as a Rival and a Speed stadium, plus a few dark energy for umbreon and wevile ('till I can get better).
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, so after a bit of digging I made this deck a bit faster with some (slight) trainer additions, still nowhere near where I want it, but better.

POKEMON:

2 pikachu

4 electrike
    3 manectric

4 eevee
    1 jolteon
    1 glaceon
    1 umbreon

4 piplup
    2 prinplup
    1 empoleon

TRAINERS:

2 energy search
    2 quickball
    2 potion...meh
    2 warp point
    2 Mom's kindness
    1 duskball
    3 great ball
    1 Prof. Rowan
    1 Rival
    1 speed stadium

ENERGY:

8 Lightning
    8 Water
    3 multi energy
    1 Call energy

I still need to dig out some NGR, probably +3 of them and -1 L nrg, -2 pika.

Thanks for all your help, everyone! Keep the advice comming, but more regarding what cards would be good for this deck and where to get them, and good cards for a psudo rocklock with empoleon. Thanks!

POKEMAN

* I've been around since jungle came out (I feel old).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.