Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Kecleon vs. Pokemon EX

Mr. Grass

Here's the text of Kecleon's PokeBody
Energy Variation - Kecleon's type is the same as every type of basic Energy card attached to Kecleon.

So if Kecleon has a Grass and Lightning energy attached it is a Grass and Lightning Type. So here's a few questions and what I think.

1. What if Kecleon attacks a Pokemon EX that has two weakness, like Kabutops Ex (weak to Grass and Lightning)?
I figure that the attack would only do double damage since the rules don't say anything about a weakness for each type, but I just want to bring the idea up.
2. What if a Kecleon with a Fire and Water energy attached attacked a pokemon that is weak to Fire and Resistant to Water?
I think this would probably just follow the old rules of applying Weakness first then resistance, again it's just something I'd like to point out before it comes up in a tourney situation.

On the second scenario, I agree with you. On the first, there are two possibilities. One is that it only does double damage. The other, which I tend to think would be the case, is that the damage would be doubled twice, for a grand total multiplier of 4. Ouch!

1. What if Kecleon attacks a Pokemon EX that has two weakness, like Kabutops Ex (weak to Grass and Lightning)?
I figure that the attack would only do double damage since the rules don't say anything about a weakness for each type, but I just want to bring the idea up.
<<<
If you do 40 to kabutop EX originally in this case, multiply it by 4
It's because Kecleon is now both grass and lighting type.

2. What if a Kecleon with a Fire and Water energy attached attacked a pokemon that is weak to Fire and Resistant to Water?
I think this would probably just follow the old rules of applying Weakness first then resistance, again it's just something I'd like to point out before it comes up in a tourney situation.
<<<
Apply weakness first then resistance.

remarks:
The next set : EX Dragon will release some Dragon Pokemon that have two resistance, for example, Flydon has both Lighting and Fighting Resistance.
In this case, if a Kecleon which fighting and lighting energy attached to attack Flydon, reduce that damage by 60.

dkates said:
On the second scenario, I agree with you. On the first, there are two possibilities. One is that it only does double damage. The other, which I tend to think would be the case, is that the damage would be doubled twice, for a grand total multiplier of 4. Ouch!

In the GB Game, attacks do quadruple damage when the Pokémon has two weakness against that type. The example given in the Nintendo R&S Guide is "Grass type attacks do quadruple damage against a Rock and Ground Type Pokémon".

There has been some precedent for TCG play following the basic principles of the GB games, e.g. the current retreat rules. The cards work a little differently (the attack type depends on the type of the attacking Pokémon, rather than being determined individually) but the meta rule is attacks by a Pokémon are attacks of the type of the attacking Pokémon.

Then attacks by a Kecleon with a Grass and Lightning Energy attached are Grass and Electric Type and would do quadruple damage to a Wailord-ex. Unless, of course, we hear otherwise from the new MTs. ;) And then we'll have to figure out a new weakness/resistance paradigm.

I realize Nintendo is making the rules changes to simulate the electronic game, but that doesn't follow that they will make it so in this case. Seems a little strange to do 4X the damage to an ex, but if that is how it will work, Kecleon will be a very popular card indeed.

Indeed. And since only ex Pokemon have two Weaknesses, that loophole may have been intentional, in order to further balance ex Pokemon against other Pokemon. BTW, what is Kecleon's attack?

I'm not entirely sure about the quadruple multiplyer. In the rulebook it states that if the defending pokemon has a weakness to the attacking pokemon then you double the damage. It has never mentioned anything about checking for multiple weaknesses.

Why should they have? Kecleon is the first, and so far only Pokemon that is capable of having more than one type at a time.

We don't need Kecleon to counter the Ex's. Sandstorm's Wobuffet will do that task nicely!

The double weakness question needs a ruling. Until told otherwise I'd stick with the existing way of applying weakness and resistance: double ONCE if weak, Take off 30 if resistant. The double weakness just makes it more likely that you will be weak rather than increasing that potential weakness to Quadrupled.

Agreed, until we get a ruling giving specifics, it's better to stick to the tried and true method of determining damage.

Yeah, that was my original thought since the rules say to double damage if weak to and not double damage for each weakness.

Back