Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Kecleon w/Multi or Rainbow Energy

BLiZzArD

what is the ruling on this because if it does what I think it does this will be my all time favorite combo

Last edited:
Won't work. Kecleon's type is that of all BASIC Energies attached. Rainbow and Multi are SPECIAL Energies.

that's not how the cards read but I guess it's a ruling right? man this sucksI traded to get these multi energy and Kecleon for nothing

it says basic but rainbow/multi say basic energy when in play I guess I was just hoping it would work my aggron deck could have really used him

I'm looking at playing Kecleon in my RainbowBurn v.2 with the new Dragons! Actually, Kecleon can do 4x damage to certain EX Pokemon with double weakness!

Poké-BODY Energy Variation: Kecleon's type is the same as every type of basic Energy card attached to Kecleon.

Bolded for emphasis.

Rainbow Energy and Multi Energy do provide every single type of Basic energy but they never count as Basic Energy cards. If Energy Variation did not contain the word "card" Rainbow Energy would work. Also note Kecleon can never be a Dark type nor Metal type.

I'm intrigued by the comment about double weakness. Seem's like a poke is either weak or not. Has there been a ruling on this?

There are certain ex Pokemon with two Weaknesses. It has been ruled that such Pokemon, when hit by a Kecleon whose types are both of its weaknesses, take 4X the damage they otherwise would have taken.

dkates said:
There are certain ex Pokemon with two Weaknesses. It has been ruled that such Pokemon, when hit by a Kecleon whose types are both of its weaknesses, take 4X the damage they otherwise would have taken.
Where and when did this happen? The Weakness Icons show only what it is weak to, not how many times it's weak.

I've been pondering the double weakness thing myself. My question is thus:

What if Kecleon is the type of both the weakness AND resistance of the defending Pokemon?

Would they cancel out? Or would you double the damage for weakness, then reduce the damage by 30? Or, even, reduce it by 30, then double it?

They wouldn't cancel each other out, but they would both be applied as per the rulebook. First weakness, doubling the attack, then resistance reducing that number by 30.

DaytonGymLeader said:
Where and when did this happen? The Weakness Icons show only what it is weak to, not how many times it's weak.

Well, if a pokemon has a weakness to the attacking Pokemon, the attack does twice as much damage, if a Pokemon has 2 weaknesses(like Wailord EX) and a pokemon is the types of both weaknesses(like Kecleon), then the attack would do twice as much damage for each weakness.

Android17a said:
I've been pondering the double weakness thing myself. My question is thus:

What if Kecleon is the type of both the weakness AND resistance of the defending Pokemon?

Would they cancel out? Or would you double the damage for weakness, then reduce the damage by 30? Or, even, reduce it by 30, then double it?

You always apply weakness and then resistance if a situation like that occurs(unless of course the card stated to do it another way).

What happens if a Porygon2 coverts a basic energy into, say a darkness energy? Would Keckleon's Poke-body count that as a dark or what it was originally?

If Porygon2 says that an energy on Kecleon now provides Darkness energy, then no, as the basic energy (now providing dark) would still be a basic Energy Card.

It's just a technicality between "Energy" and "Energy card". It's also one of those things I pick up a lot of other people on, and something I have found that severely restricts some of the cards in my deck.
However, it does make a difference in the game, just like the distinction between "Energy" and "Basic Energy"...

Ultramew said:
What happens if a Porygon2 coverts a basic energy into, say a darkness energy? Would Keckleon's Poke-body count that as a dark or what it was originally?

It doesn't work.:(.. Look up the Porygon2 and Ho-oh rulings in the compendium.

Or rather under the current set of rullings it doesn't work. If you were to ask MTJimmer you could get a completely different answer from the Ho-oh Porygon2 ruling. The Porygon2 Ho-oh rulling was controversial on the old gym and is still not easy to get your head around.

Last edited:
DaytonGymLeader said:

Check the Ask the Master Trainers forum. It has new official rulings.
Also, the new Compenium also has them.

Back