Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Kingdra? (DP-On)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I think it's pretty obvious, even to someone who hasn't played in almost two years that the Kingdra from DP5 is extremely good. This next season I'm trying to use decks that have themes of swarming. That's what I think makes this Kingdra so very good.

Pokemon: 20
4 Unown ? (DP5)
4 Horsea (DP5)
2 Seadra (DR5)
4 Kingdra (DP5)
2 Baltoy (GE)
2 Claydol (GE)
2 Pachirisu (GE)

Energy: 17
17 Water

Trainers: 23
4 Bebe's Search
4 Rare Candy
4 Felicity's Drawing
3 Roseanne's Research
3 Professor Oak's Visit/Cynthia's Plan
2 Warp Point
2 Bubble Coat
1 Night Maintenance

These wonderful Translations are provided from Pokebeach:

Unown ? LV.18 – Psychic – HP70
Basic Pokemon

Poke-Power: ?
You can use this Power once during your turn, if this Pokemon is on your Bench. Place 1 Pokemon card from your hand face down. Then, your opponent guesses that Pokemon's type. Flip the card face up, and if your opponent guessed incorrectly, draw 1 card from your deck. Then, return the placed-down card to your hand.

[.] Hidden Power: Discard up to 2 cards from your hand. Then, draw the same number of cards from your deck.

Weakness: Psychic (+10)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Horsea LV.8 – Water – HP50
Basic Pokemon

[C] Smokescreen: If the Defending Pokemon tries to attack during your opponent's next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, the attack fails.
[W] Reverse Stream: 10 damage. Switch Horsea with one of your Benched Pokemon.

Weakness: Lightning (+10)

Seadra LV.35 – Water – HP80
Stage 1 – Evolves from Horsea

[W] Aqua Pump: 30 damage. You may discard up to 2 Water Energy from your hand. If you do, this attack does an additional 10 damage for each Energy card discarded in this way.
[W][W][C] Waterfall: 50 damage.

Weakness: Lightning (+20)

Kingdra LV.52 – Water – HP130
Stage 2 – Evolves from Seadra

[.] Aqua Stream: Choose any number of Water Energy in your discard pile, show them to your opponent, and do 10 damage for each Energy card. Then, return those Energy to your deck and shuffle your deck.
[W] Dragon Pump: 40 damage. You may discard 2 cards from your hand. If you do, this attack does an additional 20 damage and does 20 damage to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokemon.

Weakness: Lightning (+30)

Well, this is a little different than I'd imagine the typical starter being. I actually like Unown ? in this deck as a starter. The attack is free and it starts the discarding early for Kingdra while letting you draw cards. Pretty straightforward I'd imagine. Running slightly higher energy than normal to take advantage of Kingdra's attack. High Roseanne's because I don't run a searcher starter and because getting energy mid-game is always nice for Kingdra's Dragon Pump attack. Bubble Coat will help against Luxray. Suicune helps with recovery. Claydol's in because it's Claydol and has the great Power.

All in all, with the exception of the non-typical starter, I'd think pretty straightforward. But hey, I'm still kinda rusty and am working on a reliable Trainer engine. Comments?

~Jim

Last edited:
Bubble coat goes after you're attacked.
Raichu X would HURT.

Luxray still is going to fry this.
Sorry, but Kingdra won't be the #1 deck next year.

You may need energy patch.

Hmm, with all that water energy it could be quite viable :D But your poke-search is just overkill man.

Brawler. It probably will. Luxray may be good, but he takes 3 energy. Kindra takes one and will 2HKO him easy.

Yikes. Well, thanks for the blatant comment. I didn't say this would be the number one deck at any time. I also realize weakness is going to be a problem. I like Kingdra because of it's swarm ability. I also like Luxray because it has energy manipulation/recharge as well.

I only posted this deck because I like the idea of Unown ? which I believe is a fairly novel idea. I think it would work beautifully with discard decks.

~Jim

Well that's what I meant, Unown ? can work just you need enough energy probably for early discard. I dunno, it might be better as a power though. Bronzong MT or LunaSol?

yeah kingdra ftw!!!! The only thing i think you should drop is Unown ? maybe add a 1-0-1 Alakazam and maybe add bucks training.

- 3 bubble coat (Base damage normal is 100 no is necessary)
+ 3 call energy (More speed!!)

Suicune in the first turn is very bad ...

- 2 Suicune
+ 2 Phione (More speed) o Technical machine Evolution (LA)

Yeah, I do think I'll go ahead and go with Phione instead of Suicune. I dunno what I was thinking. And Supes, the comment I posted before I was directed at Brawler, not you. You posted while I was posting.

Thanks guys,

~Jim

Idk if it will work or not, but I really like the idea of the Unown ? in here.

me too now that i see its the starter.Take out Phione for 1-0-1 alakazam, it helps with dumping water and stopping powers.Really phione is not needed with all the draw drop Bubble Coat for a night maintenance and two warp points.

The Unown ? was really what I wanted to show off in this deck. Everyone looks at Kingdra, but I think it could be an effective starter in this deck. I'm thinking about losing Phione for Pachirisu to help aid setup. If I do that, I would drop a Roseanne's and a Bubble Coat for 2 Warp Point or Dawn Stadium.

Keep in mind, I'm still determining what half these cards do...

~Jim

EDIT: Modified first post.

Last edited:
Sinc eyou don't wanna play Call Energy in this, Pachy could be viable. Plus Smash Short on their bubble Coat is naaaaaaaaaaasty.

The 1-0-1 Alakazam idea is a decent concept; I've seen it used with Garchomp Lv.X. However, I think it should be a more important part of the deck than tech. I'd want to be able to have one or two in play rather quickly and consistently. Having multiple in play also allows you to discard more cards if your opponent opts to go for multiple powers during their turn. I'd like to see a 2-0-2 myself.

The 1-0-1 Alakazam idea is a decent concept; I've seen it used with Garchomp Lv.X. However, I think it should be a more important part of the deck than tech. I'd want to be able to have one or two in play rather quickly and consistently. Having multiple in play also allows you to discard more cards if your opponent opts to go for multiple powers during their turn. I'd like to see a 2-0-2 myself.

yeah cause then you can stop claydol and something omastar or togekiss from going off and hurting you.

NO alakazam because candy is very vital for the deck.

Also play at least 2 NM because it's a swarm deck and if a few kingdras die you won't be able to get them back.

Last edited:
Looks good, although I'm not convinced the deck needs a starter.
I think
4-2-4 Kingdra
3-3 Claydol
will work fine.
3-3 Claydol increases consistency and getting a T2 Claydol out.
Also, you now have 16 pokemon and 17 energy making room for 27 trainers, which will also provide for good speed.
Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back