Kingdratrans...speed+power+recovery=good.

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Dendrobatida, Apr 16, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dendrobatida

Dendrobatida New Member

4 horsea (reverse jet)
    4 seadra (your choice-I recommend water arrow for bench hitting fun)
    2 Kingdra -ex
    2 Kingdra (aquapolis)
    2 aqua's electrike (go for archie if you prefer....I like having the basic, myself)
    2 aqua's manectric (holo: energy transing ability)
    4 dunsparce (sandstorm)
    2 wobbuffett (sandstorm)
    Total: 22

4 oak's research
    4 TV reporter/Bill's maintenance/shaman/copycat - your card drawing card of choice - reporter works best with oracle
    3 oracle
    2 warp point/switch
    4 pokemon nurse
    3 professor elm's training method
    2 crystal shard

10 water energy
    4 multi energy
    2 boost
    Total: 16

TOTAL: 60

Your strategy here, other than the usual "1st turn use dunsparce, get 2 horsea and an electrike....2nd turn evolve your horsea to seadra and attach energy, third turn evolve to kingdra -ex and start hammering away....", is to incorporate the aqua's manectric with the aquapolis kingdra to give yourself better control of the energy transfer. Aquapolis kingdra will move the water to the bench, and manectric can send it back up, allowing for abuse of pokemon nurse. Anyway, a breakdown of some of the cards:

the kingdra line: Your main attacker will be kingdra -ex: bench hits 30 for 1 energy, or 5 for 90. Sweet. The Aquapolis kingdra can move your energy around, and can hold its own as an attacker if needed. Hits that magic 50 from a water pokemon necessary to knock out blaziken or rayquaza (assuming you've sharded).

Manectric line: the other half of the energy transing combo. Some form of energy control is essential now: there's no getting around it. Blaziken does it. Gardevoir does it. Sceptile does it. Ampharos does it. To win, you need to do it too. It's this guy that makes the kingdra's power a whole lot more viable (energy stuck on the bench isn't very useful, except to your opponent's gardevoir -ex).

Dunsparce: Get them basics, and stall if you need to.

Wobbuffett: a nice all-purpose guy, works well with kingdra's energy trans.

Pokemon nurse: the recovery in your deck, and the reason this deck doesn't need to run a town volunteers. The idea is to conserve your stuff, through heavy healing and energy management.

Warp point: because sometimes, even in an energy trans deck, you need to warp.

Shard: Rayquaza resists water. Sceptile resists water. Sometimes, you don't want to be water....

Multi energy: power kingdra. Power manectric. Power wobbuffett. Power dunsparce. Transfer with kingdra. Good stuff. Careful about manectric's power. He can't transfer this stuff. To get it off of manectric, you'll have to get manectric active and use kingdra. See warp point, above.

The trainer engine here emphasizes getting out those evos fast. You won't have the luxury of delcatty like your opponent might, so use those professor elm's training methods. Use the oracle/tv reporter. Use it all, and use it well.

Some things to tinker with:
    You might want to run a third kingdra -ex.
    You might want to vary the types of seadra.
    You might want to alter the energy numbers. 3 multi and 3 boost might suit your style more.
    You might want to drop a nurse for another switchy card, or that third kingdra.

There's my anti-blaziken. Enjoy, and fix where needed.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  2. Pokekid

Pokekid New Member

Erm Manetric only can transfer between Aqua pokes

3. dkates

dkates New Member

Not true, Pokekid. The reason it's showing up in Blaze variants now is that, although the Energy has to come from an Aqua Pokémon, it can go to any Pokémon. It could also work here.

4. Dendrobatida

Dendrobatida New Member

Nah. Read the card:
    ---------------------------------------
    Poke-Power POWER SHIFT

Once during your turn (before your attack), you may move any number of basic Energy cards attached to 1 of your pokemon with Team Qua in its name to another of your Pokemon. This power can't be used if Team Aqua's Manectric is affected by a special condition.
    ---------------------------------------

It can only take energy FROM an aqua pokemon (in the case of this deck, itself), but it can attach it to any pokemon. I urge you to reference any of the several decks posted recently using Aqua's Manectric instead of Ampharos in the standard BAR deck.

5. Dendrobatida

Dendrobatida New Member

Thanks for the backup, DK :)

6. Dendrobatida

Dendrobatida New Member

I dunno...In playtesting, I'm finding it fairly easy to get myself out of situations in which kingdra -ex can be ohko'ed (four main pokemon that can do that: rayquaza, gardevoir -ex, sceptile -ex, and amphy in BAR). I pick at the bench until I see that one of them is approaching enough power to get me in a few turns, and then I reverse jet out of there, do my little 20 damage, and send out wobbuffett. I trans the energy to wobbuffett, and hit for 50 for awhile until they bring up an alternative attacker, at which point I bring back up the kingdra -ex and repeat, getting the heck out of there when necessary. Ampharos gives you the most trouble, but if they opt to ko your wobbuffett with it, you're set, because they've had to discard two lightning to get your wobbuffett, and you know they're not going to retaliate again after your attack....do your 90, then ko it on the bench. Getting and holding onto that first crystal shard is really important too, of course, as is the ability to heal your wobbuffett and not lose the energy....when they bring up regular blaziken to combat your wobbuffett, he has to be able to take that first 50 without dying and losing you three energy. Once blaziken is up, then you can use your non-ex kingdra to ko it, and then a wobbuffett with shard to ko the following rayquaza that just ko'ed your kingdra. I think there's still some viability to a sniper deck like this one, particularly since it still packs the ability to hit for 90 fairly quickly and effortlessly. Also, any random deck that doesn't hit for OHKO's will have significant problems with this deck, as will the bench hiders (gengar, wailord/fossils) that are actually popular in the NC scene...one of them won the 15+ and the 10 and under at the Asheville CC (gengar/fossils/shedinja in both cases).

7. Hero

Hero New Member

My fix:

4 oak's research
    4 TV reporter/Bill's maintenance/shaman/copycat - your card drawing card of choice - reporter works best with oracle
    3 oracle
    2 warp point/switch
    4 pokemon nurse
    3 professor elm's training method
    2 crystal shard

-1 Seadra
    -2 Nurse
    -1 oracle
    -4 TV reporter/Bill's maintenance/shaman/copycat - your card drawing card of choice - reporter works best with *for now..*
    -2 PETM

+1 One of your kingdras (id take the AQ)
    +2 warp point (therefore, make the other switch)
    +3 tv reporter/copycat (depends how fast your opp's running their decks)
    +4 pokemon reverals (get out that ray before he kills you obv, same w/ blazex)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  8. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

I really like this idea. It looks to be a lot better Kingdra deck than the past. You could even consider trying to tech in TA Lanturn and run Archies to get Lanturn and Manectric out. That would have even more nrg manipulation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.