Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

League ideas?

yelsha

Ive been running my league for a yea or two now and am trying to think of something extra to give it bit of a breath of fresh air, rather than doing the same thing over and over again. Any ideas?

What day/time is your League? There are a few things that you could do if you had extra time before/after official League time such as weekly tourneys, possibly changing the format a little bit (Modified, Unlimited, Limited, No Rares, etc).

As bullados said, you can do weekly or even monthly tournaments to give some more excietment and competition.

you can do challenges like defeating the gym leader^^ to become more pop packs.

you can try to do 2 vs 2 battles.

etc there are a lot of things to do

Thanks! I did try a beat the leader thing once but no-one could beat me :p. Tournaments are a good idea.

Yeah, give them a fair shot with one of your less competitive decks, then for their second shot at you, get one of your harder decks. We did the beat the league leader thing, and gave out some medalions which showed that they beat us. Gave them a sense of accomplishment.

Also, if you charge a fee for league, you could ask for $1 more to be used for pokemon themed prizes to be picked up by you, to be given out at the end of the league session as a door prize. for example, I give out 5 prizes for every 10 people who show up. It keeps many coming back.

Schedule a day for just commons in a deck. Normal trainers of course, but only common cards for pokemon. 2 on 2 days, team battle days, team 2 on 2 days, challenge days, dressup days, plushie days, hey, I can think of lots of stuff to do to keep it fresh and new.

Do what I do sometimes: hold double points days on the League session before a holiday. For example: double points for anyone with Psychic, Ghost, Poison, or Dark Pokemon in their decks on Halloween. The same could be done with egg-like or bunny-like Pokemon on Easter, Grass, Fire-, or Ice-type Pokemon on Christmas, etc.

Bringing food is always a good thing. Have everyone chip in a few bucks for pizza or Chinese food every so often.

- Croatian "super fresh Leagues" Nidoking

Hi, Ive been having the same difficulty with getting the kids excited (mostly younger kids) .
I mean With me going off to states/city's n stuff it causes league to be canceled but they still go and THEY run it when im not even there ... Any suggestions when im off at states?

I thought I might post in here, because I have reached a new crossroads. The league in my area just recently moved from a small cramped store to a much larger store, and the league actually has space to grow into. The store owners really would like to see it grow too, and they price their cards below retail and price their theme decks at the same price they buy them at because they want new players to be able to get them easier. The league has a lot of potential to grow in size, but I am lacking in the idea department.

I've read the ideas in this thread, but these only really work with keeping the current players happy. There haven't been any ideas on how to draw in more players.

I thought about holding a tournament with the cheap theme decks and throwing in a few packs of cards and making it a pre-release type thing costing $10-15 each, but nobody ever has money and thus I could never really rally the support to do that kind of thing.

Money is a big reason a lot of them also don't have many of the new cards, and why many of them are playing unlimited decks over modified decks. This hurts them when tournaments like Cities or Battle Roads come around and they can't play in them or they scrap together a legal deck and do really poorly.

How can I draw in new players? How can I draw in collectors that don't know of the league? How can I motivate people to save their money and buy pokemon cards?

Matt

make a website for your league and put it on the google repertory. a lot o f new guys came at my league becaue they saw the site on internet. internet works really well nowadays.

another thing to do is lay down flyers in the store where you say you have al eague every x day so people taht come to the store can see it during the week and then come toleague cause they're curious.

run some unlimited tournaments to attract guys who don't have modified and offer them them decks that are modified for premier events.

i have about 25-30 memebers in my league and about 15 come every week and always new guys.

The website is a really good idea. Fliers is a good idea too.

Unlimited tournaments aren't the best idea IMHO. The league is split down the middle with people with unlimited decks and people with modified decks. It's hard on the modified players because the unlimited players have access to many unrestricted cards like Briney's Compassion, etc.

If I hold an unlimited tournament, people that don't have the old cards are put at a disadvantage. If I hold a modified tournament, some players might not be able to build a modified deck (maybe). Also, if I hold an unlimited tournament, it supports people to not buy any of the new cards and just keep their old cards. I want to motivate them to buy the new cards.

If I held a pre-release type thing, I'd have to get my hands on a lot of basic energy to give out to make decks. I guess if I combined a theme deck with a few packs, they could use the energy in the theme deck. Again, we run into the problem where nobody has money. But I think this would be a good idea, and could bring some money to the store.

Last edited:
i disagree with ya about unlimited tournies. unlimited says you can play all cards that came out from base set until the latest set which now greta encounters.
in my unlimited tournies i saw guys playing bill from base set in decks with darkrai dp4 or a little junior who build a new grass deck only for the tourney and he had only dp cards in it so i don't think people don't buy new cards.

also we run prerelease for each new set and we always have the tourney full and some guys bought then boosters after in the store. in my store they're always out of stock with pokémon products^^

another thing i do is buy displays of new extensions myself at low price and then sell boosters at a lower price than in most supermarkets and stores so that my players can get newest cards at a really cheap price. try this too^^

I do see some of that with people spicing up their modified decks with unlimited cards. I think the biggest problem is people's lack of money. You can't run tournaments or expect to sell cards for cheaper prices if people don't have money in the first place.

I just got done designing an ad for the league. I'm going to see where I can post it around my city. I am going to contact the stores that sell the cards and see if there would be any place I could post this ad. Has anyone had success with this idea before?

Sure Prime, stores, supermarkets, libraries - you name it. The worst they can do is say no, right? Also, if I were you, I'd take a whole bunch of cards - random rarity put inside clear penny sleeves with a small note advertising your league, and distribute to every kid you see. Give out a few door prizes, and watch your league grow.

Unlimited tournaments aren't the best idea IMHO. The league is split down the middle with people with unlimited decks and people with modified decks. It's hard on the modified players because the unlimited players have access to many unrestricted cards like Briney's Compassion, etc.

If I hold an unlimited tournament, people that don't have the old cards are put at a disadvantage. If I hold a modified tournament, some players might not be able to build a modified deck (maybe).
Allow players to have proxy cards, then. It's Leagues; anything goes. Additionally, you can introduce a ban list to moderate Unlimited's potential power (for example, banning Sneasal would motivate people to use different active Pokemon.)

Also, if I hold an unlimited tournament, it supports people to not buy any of the new cards and just keep their old cards. I want to motivate them to buy the new cards.
Have a proportionate amount of tournaments, then. Maybe for every 3 Modified-format tournaments (due to being the dominant format), run an Unlimited one. That way, both parties are happy, incentives would be provided for older players, and Modified will still have its core importance (for OP and card purchasing.)

I do see some of that with people spicing up their modified decks with unlimited cards. I think the biggest problem is people's lack of money. You can't run tournaments or expect to sell cards for cheaper prices if people don't have money in the first place.
If one cannot afford the cards, then they should not be playing the Pokemon TCG. I am sorry if it sounds harsh but the way Modified works, the game is an intentional money sucker. =/

There's always Apprentice for the financially-limited players~ =x

Back