Level based dp-on tournaments?

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by yoshi1001, Jul 13, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 Active Member

Now that all the Pokemon have levels (just assume for the moment that fossils are 1 and X's are 100), wouldn't it be neat to have a "level-restricted" tournamentlike in the video games? Not necessarily for major tournaments but possibly as fun side events. What do you think?

2. RandyDragon

RandyDragon New Member

I don't know, could be a bit of a challenge, but fun as well

3. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

I think it'd be neat if we saw card mechanics that did things based on level. Something like "This attack does 20 damage to each of your opponents pokemon under level 20."

Do the makers take the levels into consideration when making up the cards, or is it somewhat random? Do they compare to other versions? When looking for Pikachu, I found atleast 3 that are level 15: Gym Heroes, Neo Genesis, and Mysterious Treasures. GH and NG both have 50hp, but MT has 60 hp. All the attacks are fairly similiar, except for the the second attack on the NG version, Agility, has a 3 energy cost while the others have atmost 2.

4. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 Active Member

Looking at some of the MD cards, it would be very interesting to see a 40+ or 20- or 20 to 40 type of tournament. Such tournaments would seem to favor basic pokemon over evolutions.

5. Phazon Elite

Phazon Elite New Member

If it'a all 40+, you wouldn't be able to use the Evolution's Basics. lol

6. dogma

dogma New Member

Back when the promo cards (and the sets, actually) weren't given collector numbers, levels were the only way to differentiate between cards. It surprises me that they'd given up on that system as early as Neo Genesis though...

7. Professor_Chris

Professor_Chris Active Member

The cards have always had collector numbers in English. Only the Japanese used level to differentiate between versions of a card. Actually, since we'll be having a DP-on format, it'd be nice if they allowed us to use level rather than collector number on deck lists.

8. dogma

dogma New Member

^^ Yep, should've made it clear I was only talking about Japanese cards

9. Noah121

Noah121 Active Member

I think that they take the levels into consideration when making the cards, trying to make the higher-level Pokemon a little stronger (when compared to a lower-level variant of the same card). This is just a hypothesis, though. As to the levels of Pikachu that you quoted, it's OK that the one from Gym Heroes and Neo Genesis are the same, since they have different names. But as for the NG/MT ones with the same level, that's more of a conundrum. I think that they've sort of "reset" the level considerations with the new sets. I hope they don't eliminate the levels from here on out.

The problem with mechanics based on Levels is the interaction with Fossils, EX, or E cards. There would have to be some sort of assumption and it would probably have to be in the rulebook or something.

But on that topic, it would be cool to see mechanics based not only on level, but also on stuff like rarity symbols or heights or weights (but again, the latter two get into the interaction problems that were mentioned).

10. Muscovy Level X

Muscovy Level X New Member

I doubt they'll do anything with it. Just like the Pokedex entry and stats, it's probably just for show.

11. Ardoptres

Ardoptres New Member

They made the "Lv. something" thing because then "Lv. X" would make sense.

Pure logic.

12. ShadowGuard

ShadowGuard <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

This would be a nice idea for next year's Professor Cup, since any Pokémon without levels are rotated out then. But I don't think it would be a good format for more than a few tournament, sometimes Levels don't say much about the power in the game.

13. sdp

sdp New Member

Levels before where first just to be true to the videogame and later were a way to tell the difference between cards in Japan, later it was removed since it wasn't important anymore. The only reason they were introduced again was because of Lvl. X's and also probably to be "retro" along with the flavor text. But yeah I highly doubt they've taken into consideration levels at all. After reading this thread I wish they would have. Imagine how awesome the game could get with levels taking part of the game and having restrictions? Like how in Warhammer your army can only be a number of points, it would add a lot of dept to the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.