Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

List of Promo Card release dates [Updated 2017-01-21]

gijinka

Since it keeps coming up, I've decided to sift through the TCG product gallery and compile a list of promo cards released in 2016 including their US release dates, provided it is listed, for an overview and a quick way of looking them up (press Ctrl+F in order to search within this page). I'll be using "XY#", "SM#" and "Mega Xxx-EX" for formatting.

***DISCLAIMER***
Please note that this is the best guidance for official release dates we currently have. Unless told otherwise by a TPCi Organized Play representative, this list will merely repeat the release dates provided at official sources such as pokemon.com.
Please make sure to always double-check the source for accuracy of the information provided here if you are planning to play a recently-released promo card in a tournament!

Starting with the release of Sun & Moon on Feb 03, 2017, newly released Promo cards will become legal on the 1st or 3rd Friday of the month after their US release date. [Source] Cards re-released with their original set number remain legal for the according format.
In addition to that guideline, we now have an officially maintained Pokémon TCG Expansion Legality Schedule. You can find it in the Support portal download section, listed under Player Resources. The quickest way to find it is by going to support.pokemon.com and searching for "legality schedule" there, or by downloading the current version (2017-01-20).

Feel free to bring up any additions (e.g. missing collector #s) and mistakes you notice. Please also respond to this thread with a link if you come across updates to the Product Gallery page, or newly released sources. I'll be happy to keep this as correct, complete and up-to-date as possible :)

No listed date/entry
Snorlax-GX Box: XY??? Snorlax, XY??? Snorlax-GX

TOURNAMENT LEGAL
Mewtwo-EX Box: XY183 Mewtwo-EX (reprint of BKT61)
Zygarde Collection: XY152 Zygarde

TOURNAMENT LEGAL in Expanded format
Gengar-EX Box: PHF34 Gengar-EX
Kangaskhan-EX Box: FLF78 Kangaskhan-EX
Charizard-EX Box—Fire Blast: FLF11 Charizard-EX
Dragonite-EX Box: FFI74 Dragonite-EX
Legendary Battle Decks: PLS25 Articuno-EX, PLS48 Zapdos-EX, PLS14 Moltres-EX

Release dates

-- all newly released cards are expected to follow the updated legality schedule --
Please note that this is NOT an official announcement, but purely echoing information for your convenience. Official statements will continue to take priority over this list.

February ??, 2017 - tournament legal Mar 03
Lycanroc-GX Collection: SM14 Lycanroc-GX -- according to the Pokémon TCG Expansion Legality Schedule

February 03, 2017 - tournament legal Feb 17
Sun & Moon checklane blister: SM06 Rockruff, SM07 Pikipek -- according to the Pokémon TCG Expansion Legality Schedule
Sun & Moon 3-pack blister: SM08 Litten, SM09 Togedemaru -- according to the Pokémon TCG Expansion Legality Schedule
Sun & Moon Prerelease: SM10 Shiinotic, SM11 Bruxish, SM12 Passimian, SM13 Oranguru -- according to the Pokémon TCG Expansion Legality Schedule
Zygarde Complete Forme Pin Collection: SM15 Zygarde -- according to the Pokémon TCG Expansion Legality Schedule

-- all newly released cards below this line are expected to be considered tournament legal, based on the sources above --
Please note that this is NOT an official announcement, but purely echoing information for your convenience. Official statements will continue to take priority over this list.

January 06, 2017
BREAK Evolution Box Featuring Arcanine: XY180 Arcanine BREAK, XY181 Crobat BREAK, and XY182 Mandibuzz BREAK -- according to the Pokémon TCG Expansion Legality Schedule

January 06, 2017
Mythical Collection—Volcanion: XY164 Volcanion, XY187 Celebi, XY189 Victini, XY191 Keldeo, XY194 Darkrai and XY195 Jirachi
& Mythical Collection—Magearna: XY165 Magearna, XY188 Shaymin, XY190 Manaphy, XY192 Mew, XY193 Meloetta, XY196 Genesect and XY197 Arceus
All cards in the Mythical Collection Volcanion & Magearna are reprints featuring alternate artwork. They follow the release dates of the Autumn 2016 Collector Chest and the respective Mythical Pokémon Collection boxes.

[Delayed release date sometime in December]
Giratina 3-Pack Blister: XY184 Giratina -- according to the Pokémon TCG Expansion Legality Schedule

December 01, 2016
Mythical Pokémon Collection–Meloetta: XY120 Meloetta

November 18, 2016
Autumn 2016 Collector Chest: XY164 Volcanion, XY165 Magearna, XY166 M Gengar-EX
Mega Garchomp-EX Premium Collection: XY167 Garchomp-EX, XY168 Mega Garchomp-EX
& Mega Salamence-EX Premium Collection: XY170 Salamence-EX, XY171 Mega Salamence-EX
Alola Collection: SM01 Rowlet, SM02 Litten, and SM03 Popplio

November 01, 2016
Mega Beedrill EX Premium Collection: XY157 Beedrill-EX, XY158 Mega Beedrill-EX
Mythical Pokémon Collection—Genesect: XY119 Genesect

October 03, 2016
Mythical Pokémon Collection—Keldeo: XY118 Keldeo

September 21, 2016
Battle Arena Decks: Rayquaza vs. Keldeo: DRX85 Rayquaza-EX (Expanded), BCR49 Keldeo-EX (Expanded), XY177 Karen

September 16, 2016
Battle Heart Tin: XY173 Volcanion-EX, XY174 Pikachu-EX, XY175 Magearna-EX

September 14, 2016
Red & Blue Collection—Pikachu-EX: XY124 Pikachu-EX
Super-Premium Collection—Mew and Mewtwo: XY125 Mewtwo-EX, XY126 Mew-EX

September 01, 2016
Mythical Pokémon Collection—Victini: XY117 Victini

August 01, 2016
Mythical Pokémon Collection—Arceus: XY116 Arceus

July 13, 2016
BREAK Evolution Box Featuring Ho-Oh and Lugia: XY153 Ho-Oh, XY154 Ho-Oh BREAK, XY155 Wobbuffet BREAK, XY156 Lugia
Red & Blue Collection—Venusaur-EX: XY123 Venusaur-EX

July 01, 2016
Mythical Pokémon Collection—Shaymin: XY115 Shaymin

June 01, 2016
Mythical Pokémon Collection—Manaphy: XY113 Manaphy

May 18, 2016
Red & Blue Collection—Blastoise-EX: XY122 Blastoise-EX

May 04, 2016
Shiny Kalos Tins: XY149 Xerneas-EX, XY150 Yveltal-EX, XY151 Zygarde-EX

May 02, 2016
Mega Mawile-EX Premium Collection: XY103 Mawile-EX, XY104 Mega Mawile-EX

May 01, 2016
Mythical Pokémon Collection—Darkrai: XY114 Darkrai

April 13, 2016
Ash-Greninja-EX Box: XY133 Ash-Greninja-EX

April 01, 2016
Mythical Pokémon Collection—Jirachi: XY112 Jirachi

March 16, 2016
Red & Blue Collection—Charizard-EX: XY121 Charizard-EX

March 09, 2016
Triple Power Tin: XY106 Gyarados-EX, XY107 Mewtwo-EX, XY108 Machamp-EX

March 01, 2016
Mythical Pokémon Collection—Celebi: XY111 Celebi

February 24, 2016
Shiny Mega Gyarados Collection: XY109 Gyarados

February 22, 2016
Mythical Pokémon Collection—Mew: XY110 Mew

January 05, 2016
BREAK Evolution Box: XY134 Empoleon BREAK, XY135 Beheeyem BREAK, XY136 Noctowl BREAK
Mega Aerodactyl-EX Premium Collection: XY97 Aerodactyl-EX, XY98 Mega Aerodactyl-EX

Last edited:
Multiple distributors are reporting a release date of 11/2 for the Volcanion and Magearna Collector Chest. Does the 11/18 date in the list refer to a release date or the legality date? Seems weird to release on 11/18, as product almost never releases on a Friday.

Since double-checking this exact question with TPCi was answered with "release date", and the US homepage now also lists a launch date of Nov 18, it seems like this is actually the day we should treat as the US release date.
I agree, however, that it is unusual - still, this date is the only official guideline we have to determine Promo card legality dates, I'm afraid, which is why I'll stick to them unless TPCi tells us otherwise.

Last edited:
I don't think I'm allowed to link to it on here, but for those coming here/reading, the Fall 2016 Collector's Chest with Magearna/Volcanion/M Gengar has been declared released on Nov 2/legal Nov 18 by a TPCi employee.

Updated with Mythical Pokémon Collection–Meloetta, also added missing Coll.#s.

The Autumn 2016 Collector Chest has been confirmed twice by a TPCi Organized Play representative to have a US release date of November 18.
Considering the homepage still states this date, I'm inclined to trust my source over the other one - however, it would be legal this Friday either way :)

Stores received their first shipments of Giratina promos yesterday. Am I correct to understand that OP is contradicting a public statement by a TPCi employee, as this list suggests, and that Giratina is legal for play effective immediately?

Thank you, and sorry for the confusion this caused!
As stated in the disclaimer, this list is merely repeating information from the sources quoted above, and I hope the additional disclaimers are making this absolutely clear.
I've been waiting for confirmation from Organized Play on Giratina, since based on previous experiences, I'm not comfortable to consider Twitter posts an official source.

Back