Looking for Japanese animation recommendations (live-action okay too)

Discussion in 'Anime Realm' started by Professor_Chris, Dec 9, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Professor_Chris

Professor_Chris Active Member

I'll be flying home next week for the holidays, so I want something to watch on the plane ride. I'm pretty much caught up on everything that I normally watch, so I'm looking for a new series or two.

These are the sorts of times that lead me to watch things that I had previously passed up like Suzumiya Haruhi, Keroro Gunsou, Code Geass, and Kekkaishi, so I'm expecting great things from this thread. Do not disappoint me!

Also, I'd prefer if it hadn't been licensed yet or, at the very least, not released in English yet.

2. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

Wait, you passed up Haruhi?

3. ShadowTogetic

ShadowTogetic New Member

Wait, you passed up Haruhi?

4. Professor_Chris

5. Kabigon_Jr

Kabigon_Jr New Member

mushiuta
    i dont think it is on your level but its quick and has some good points

6. Professor_Chris

I've already finished Mushiuta. :p It was alright.

7. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

Watch Haruhi in air release order. It's a mind trip, but it's amazing.

I like Code Geass b/c the main character isn't an idiot. It can get a little bit full of itself at times, but it does give a fairly good version of the whole Revolution theme.

Kekkaishi is just plain, stupid fun. It's not new, innovative, or even original most of the time. But it takes what's been done well before and puts a slightly different twist on it. I hate the stupid protagonist, but that's a different story for a different day.

Nodame Cantabile is basically Yakitate Japan for music. Interesting, and very funny, but does have some awkward moments.

8. Professor_Chris

I did watch Haruhi in broadcast order. xD The series was only about half done airing when I started it. I'll take Nodame Cantabile as a suggestion since I watched Code Geass already (in only a day, no less) and am caught up on all released Kekkaishi.

9. Dek

Dek New Member

Incase you haven't seen it yet, Elite Justice just started work on subtitles for Zyuranger...

Dangit, now I want to watch it

10. Professor_Chris

TV Nihon has had the first three episodes of Zyuranger dubbed for quite some time and I believe I watched them a while back. Unfortunately, Elite Justice is only up to episode two. =(

11. Dek

Dek New Member

and EJ's dub is a little strange....

Like when the kid shouts for his "mummy"

Or how the translation of the song is "juurenjaa" as opposed to "zyuranger" (the renjaa part I can understand. It's just the prefix, for lack of a better term, that I don't understand).

12. Professor_Chris

Juurenjaa is actually correct. It depends on the way you romanize it. They probably chose that way to stay consistant with their karaoke.

I believe I've downloaded some of their subs before (Boukenger movie or special I think). They're okay. They're probably not American, which is why some of their word choices seem odd.

13. Marril

Marril New Member

Shoujo Kakumei Utena.

If you've already seen it, then watch it again.

14. Tenshi_Lombre

Tenshi_Lombre New Member

what about
    Hidmamari Sketch (probably already saw this :p)
    Moyashimon (i only saw a few clips but i liked the idea of it) :p
    Doujin Work (finish watching it in like 2 hours XD)

15. Professor_Chris

Already watched Doujin Work and Hidamari Sketch. I'm in the process of aquiring Nodame Cantabile and Shoujo Kakumei Utena. I'll watch a few episodes of each before I leave. If I like Nodame Cantabile, I'll download the Live Action adaption.

I'll check out Moyashimon. I saw it on anidb, but it looked really weird. Has anyone actually been watching it? xD If so, how was it?

16. plebeianprint

plebeianprint New Member

Monster is a huge series, 70 some episodes long, and it's a very good mystery.

17. Professor_Chris

Well, I'm back in Washington again. I'd like to thank everyone who made suggestions.

I loved Nodame Cantabile and the Live Action version was pretty decent. In retrospect, it probably wasn't the best of ideas to watch a series about a boy who can't fly because he was in a plane wreck--while on a plane.

Kakumei Shojou Utena was very good. I really enjoyed it. The Kashira Shadow Girls were definately one of the best parts of the series. The music was really good too. I haven't watched the movie yet. Is it as good as the series?

I'm not even half way through Monster yet, but it is also a great series so far. If Johan isn't like the anti-Christ or something, I think I'll be disappointed.