Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Magmortar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

samurai_soldier

Hey guys, I've been playing this deck, and while I haven't been losing, I'd like for you all to take a look at the list and see if anything needs changing.

List: Secret Tech Magmortar
Pokemon: 14
4 Magmar MT
4 Magmortar SW
3 Zangoose (Pachirisu when it comes out...maybe)
1 Sableye CG
1 Holon's Castform HP
1 Minun SW

Suppoter: 10
3 Bill's Maintenance
2 Bebe's Search
2 Professor Rowan
2 Celio's Network
1 TV Reporter

Trainer: 20
4 Plus Power
4 Switch
4 Energy Search
3 Night Maintenance
2 Potion
1 Cessation Crystal

Energy: 16
10 Fire Energy
3 Holon FF
3 Double Rainbow Energy

As you can see, a pretty standard list...until you get into the secret tech of it, th 1 of's have helped me win more games than I can count. Ooh, and count the cards in the deck, thats tech also.

So, opinions everyone?

Strategy:
The deck is pretty straight foward on how it works. You either get Zangoose or MagmarT1, then turn 2 search out Magmortar and go to town, the supporting cast is pretty stock from other lists, outside the use of Switch over Warp Point, because I'd rather just change my guys out leaving the guy I've been beating up on the opponents side of the field there so I can finish the job. Warp Point's are Switches 5 and 6.

Last edited:
61 cards....I've come from the traditional 60 card deck, and 61 is just the right number for a singleton tech card...

Unless Pokemon has a rule about 60 decks, in which case, thats idiotic.

Wow, they do....that is...not only incredibly idiotic, but it limits the deck building ways of many players coming from other games.

All in all, bad move, bad move.

Strategy:
The deck is pretty straight foward on how it works. You either get Zangoose or MagmarT1, then turn 2 search out Magmortar and go to town, the supporting cast is pretty stock from other lists, outside the use of Switch over Warp Point, because I'd rather just change my guys out leaving the guy I've been beating up on the opponents side of the field there so I can finish the job. Warp Point's are Switches 5 and 6.

Last edited:
Bill's Maintenance has become obsolete to Professor Oak's Research. Play that instead.

Don't play Switch. Warp Point is far superior since it usually disrupts the opponent.

Energy Search is a bad card. You might want to check out Roseanne's Research, that could also replace Zangoose.

Remove the 2 Bebe's Search. Why not just play 2 more Celio's Network to max it out?

You might want to remove a Magmortar SW for a Magmortar LV.X.

absol does not help you vegeta. and get rid of Dre for scramble.
I don't know if you can understand this, but Absol SW is actually not a bad idea. You see, it is one of those cards that combos with just about anything even if there appears to be no synergy. Wrecking your opponent's setup gives you time to set up Magmortars on the bench :thumb:.

Zangoose can easily be replaced by cards like Roseanne's Research and Great Ball.

you do not even know game's rules and you claim you never lost?

Did you played against real opponents or against you pet monkey?

Sorry to sound rude but how can you open with "i never lost" and post a 61 card deck...

orentachi: absol is one of the 4 best cards in format.....

it hurts your oppenent but doe not help you

so it doesn't help you to have a setup while your opponent doesnt get one?
hmmm....
the only reason T-2 Magmortar is good IS because of Absol. if it was Straight T-2Magmortar then this deck would suck, well some certain players who think they are god players will always say it sucks!!!

Sorry for the wall of text in advance.

Mew* said:
What is the strategy? And why are you purposely cheating with a 61 card deck? :eek: Don't do that man! :nonono:

I honestly did not know that you HAD to play a deck with ONLY 60 cards, its something that grates against my very gamer soul, since every other game I’ve EVER played has let you play unlimited cards past the minimum.

Mew said:
Bill's Maintenance has become obsolete to Professor Oak's Research. Play that instead.

Maybe you meant Professor’s Oak’s Visit? If you did, there are very specific reasons I chose Bill’s Maintenance, one of which being: If you have 0 cards in hand, you don’t lose anything to it, unlike TV Reporter/POV, which is why I run it (and also because I actually own Bill’s, and that I don’t own POV, but even if I did, I wouldn’t run them).

Mew* said:
Don't play Switch. Warp Point is far superior since it usually disrupts the opponent.

The reason I run Switch over Warp Point is because of the simple fact that when I cast Warp Point, the opponent gets a fresher Pokemon out, while you may do the same, you lose the ability to KO the Pokemon you’ve been working on, and that’s key. The disruption element means almost nothing if your playing against say: Honchkrow.dec, or the Gallade deck.

Mew* said:
Energy Search is a bad card. You might want to check out Roseanne's Research, that could also replace Zangoose.

Energy Search, while being incremental card disadvantage, is vastly superior to most cards out there that do similar jobs, simply because its not a SUPPORTER. Why do I think that its better than the supporters that do similar jobs? Ooh, I don’t know, I can play it AND a supporter in the same turn, not just a supporter.

Mew* said:
Remove the 2 Bebe's Search. Why not just play 2 more Celio's Network to max it out?

I don’t own 4 Celio’s, and it screws with Gallade/Gardy decks, since they generally want the hands they have

Mew* said:
You might want to remove a Magmortar SW for a Magmortar LV.X.

That comes down to me not owning one.

Vegeta ss4 said:
Why not run Absol over zangoose....take the Sableye out!!!

Absol and Zangoose do very different things, in terms of Card Advantage, Absol works to pick away at the opponents hand, while Zangoose pumps your bench up, getting you that much closer to winning the game, also, Zangoose can’t be paralyzed / sleeped /confused, which Absol can. Sableye is something I call secret tech, and that’s the reason I only run 1, why only 1? Cause that’s all you need, and I have Zangoose to help find him. He may not gain me any real Card Advantage, but he nets the very valuable of Card Selection, which is a novel concept that I’m finding most of you don’t know of.

o-ren-itachi said:
absol does not help you vegeta. and get rid of Dre for scramble.

Absol, if I chose to run it, would be good, but I chose not to run it. DRE ALWAYS provides 2 fire energy, while Scramble Energy only provides the fire energy some of the time, I’ll take the attack disadvantage and the all the time FF that it provides over a very fickle energy.

I don't know if you can understand this, but Absol SW is actually not a bad idea. You see, it is one of those cards that combos with just about anything even if there appears to be no synergy. Wrecking your opponent's setup gives you time to set up Magmortars on the bench :thumb:.

Zangoose can easily be replaced by cards like Roseanne's Research and Great Ball.

Again, Absol is good, I’m not knocking it, but I chose not to run it.

Zangoose most likely can be replaced by RR or GB, but I like having to not rely on supporters to get me anywhere I want to go in the game. I run them, yes, but I run trainers that do nearly the same things.

you do not even know game's rules and you claim you never lost?

Did you played against real opponents or against you pet monkey?

Sorry to sound rude but how can you open with "i never lost" and post a 61 card deck...

orentachi: absol is one of the 4 best cards in format.....

No, I didn’t fully know the games rules, but until I actually posted the deck, it was 60 cards, and that’s what I won with. How was I supposed to know that you HAVE to run a 60 card deck, not only does that limit deck building innovations, its just STUPID.

Yes, I played against real people, and they were running anything from Honchkrow to Hurricane to the Gardy deck. I won against everything.

Absol keeps coming up, I’m choosing not to run it, bash if you want, but I wont.

hmmm....
the only reason T-2 Magmortar is good IS because of Absol. if it was Straight T-2Magmortar then this deck would suck, well some certain players who think they are god players will always say it sucks!!!

I’d rather prevent the fact that I’m playing T1 Tendrils combo, thnx.

T2 Magmortar is good on its own, I’ve been playing it since the debut of the SW magmortar. Absol yet again…

Now for some personal thoughts:
Thanks for helping a new player to be integrated into your gaming culture. [/sarcasm]
I run the deck like I do because of the way my gamer mind is built, if you think its bad, try to constructively help, don’t post like most of the jack holes that posted did.
I’m running this deck on a budget, so don’t suggest things that are stupidly expensive (LV.X, TSD).
I also never knew the stupid 60 card ONLY rule, so give me a freaking break.
You guys should be constructively helping new players, not bashing them into freaking oblivion like you did with me.
Overall, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the game, maybe I chose the wrong forum/game to play….

samurai_soldier said:
Maybe you meant Professor’s Oak’s Visit? If you did, there are very specific reasons I chose Bill’s Maintenance, one of which being: If you have 0 cards in hand, you don’t lose anything to it, unlike TV Reporter/POV, which is why I run it (and also because I actually own Bill’s, and that I don’t own POV, but even if I did, I wouldn’t run them)
Whoops, I did mean Prof. Oak's Visit like you said! But you can't play Bill's Maintenance without any other cards in your hand. It says shuffle one card in THEN draw. That means you have to do the requirement before drawing, so you couldn't play it at all. However, Prof. Oak's Visit can be played with no hand since you can discard one of the cards drawn. But if your looking for a solution to recover from tiny little hands or no hands, check out Professor Birch, Copycat, and Team Galactic's Wager. Prof. Birch is basically only playable if Absol is hot in your area, but the others work anywhere.

Only reason why I was a little rude to you in my first post is because if you read the rules to this forum, it clearly states to post a deck with exactly 60 cards and a strategy. No hard feelings about the 61th card thing; I thought at the time that you knew that wasn't allowed. :thumb:

Last edited:
hmmm....

Sure have a big head having not won anything signifcant, ever. No to mention the worst and most annoying avatar on the Gym save BT.

But seriously, you need to be running Delcatty/Typhlosion and Pachirisu/Corsola as your starter in Magmortar. Absol is inconsistent and has no synergy other than just being a good card.

Samuri, you should be very thankful that I didn't reply at all to your deck. Accept this petty sarcasm/critisism others have given you, and be glad it wasn't me =p.

It's also a good idea to know the rules before you play a game. Call it stupid to do so, but it's the way things are done, at least here in the US.

Whoops, I did mean Prof. Oak's Visit like you said! But you can't play Bill's Maintenance without any other cards in your hand. It says shuffle one card in THEN draw. That means you have to do the requirement before drawing, so you couldn't play it at all. However, Prof. Oak's Visit can be played with no hand since you can discard one of the cards drawn. But if your looking for a solution to recover from tiny little hands or no hands, check out Professor Birch, Copycat, and Team Galactic's Wager. Prof. Birch is basically only playable if Absol is hot in your area, but the others work anywhere.

Only reason why I was a little rude to you in my first post is because if you read the rules to this forum, it clearly states to post a deck with exactly 60 cards and a strategy. No hard feelings about the 61th card thing; I thought at the time that you knew that wasn't allowed. :thumb:

Are you sure that the word "If" doesn't hold the same meaning in this game as it does in every other game ever played? "If" leads me to think that if I can't fulfill the first requirement that I don't need to and just do the rest of the cards effect, if it doesn't, I'll be happy to change over.

Moza:
I admit I don't know all the rules, but then again I'm still just starting, like until last saturday that you if you won the Dice roll, you HAD to go first, which is the most idiotic thing I had heard until I read about the 60 card rule. Ooh, and stop being such a jerk, kthnx?

Yeah, I just found some proof that Bill's Maintnance can't be used with out anything to shuffle into the deck:
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45259&highlight=bill%27s+maintenance

That is one of those tricky rulings, before I heard the ruling, I would have thought otherwise.

samurai_soldier, at least there is one time where you can choose if you want to go first or second in this game! In a best two out of three top cut match, usually the looser of the last match gets to choose who goes first.

Yeah, I just found some proof that Bill's Maintnance can't be used with out anything to shuffle into the deck:
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45259&highlight=bill%27s+maintenance

That is one of those tricky rulings, before I heard the ruling, I would have thought otherwise.

samurai_soldier, at least there is one time where you can choose if you want to go first or second in this game! In a best two out of three top cut match, usually the looser of the last match gets to choose who goes first.

Thanks for letting me know Mew*, now I need to hunt a set of those down. It is, I'll have to rework bits of my gaming mind to work with how Pokemon works.

Thats understandable on the choice, but my shop is always single game, not best 2/3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back