Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Massive 8.9 earthquake hits Japan and northwestern Asia

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrawkcab

Forum Moderator
http://www.voanews.com/english/news/Major-Earthquake-Tsunami-Hit-Japan-117785138.html

"A massive 8.9 magnitude earthquake has struck off Japan's northeastern coast, triggering a four meter tsunami that washed away cars along parts of the coastline.

Video from national broadcaster NHK showed dozens of cars, large ferries and some buildings being swept out to sea in the port city of Kamaishi in the province of Iwate.

The Japanese Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami warming for the entire Pacific coast of Japan following the quake that struck about 125 kilometers off the eastern coast, at a depth of 10 kilometers. Residents in the coastal areas have been urged to immediately evacuate to higher ground.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in the U.S. state of Hawaii said a tsunami warning was also in effect for Russia, Marcus Island and the Northern Marianas. It said a tsunami watch was issued for Guam, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia and Hawaii.

Friday's massive quake was felt in Tokyo, where it shook buildings and caused several fires. The Tokyo metro system says all train and subway traffic in the city has been stopped.

Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan has convened an emergency meeting of the Cabinet to assess the situation."

A Tsunami Advisory/Warning has just been issued here for California. We're expecting possible 3 foot waves to hit the coastline at around 8-8:30am. All beaches, harbors and piers will be closed until further notice.

A Tsunami Advisory/Warning has just been issued here for California. We're expecting possible 3 foot waves to hit the coastline at around 8-8:30am. All beaches, harbors and piers will be closed until further notice.
Does that means Queen Mary will be affected too? :p

Holy snappin! a huge earthquake/tsunami hits Japan!

Earth monitoring of the major quake measures in over 8.3 .... some report as high as 8.9. Huge aftershocks, some as high as 6.3. Major flooding due to the tsunami, and we've even heard of tsunami warnings as far away as Hawaii and Mexico. I hope all the pokemon peeps are ok. This is the biggest earthquake in Japan in over 140 years since they first started monitoring them.

Contrary to popular belief AMT, just because I'm retired from pokemon doesn't mean I don't wish people well ... pokemon people or not. Thanks for the less than tactful reminder though.

yeah, cause the Pokemon peeps were the only ones affected by this.

What's your problem? Seriously, you don't need to come in and act so righteous and with a "I'm better than you" attitude. It's very sad what happened. Take your snobbery somewhere else.

I hope the waves do not do much damage to other areas, or we could very quickly be looking at a much larger disaster.

Does that means Queen Mary will be affected too? :p
We're not expecting much damage, if at all, from the wave. If memory serves me right, the boat is actually attached to the dock floor and there are plenty of barriers all around the city. So if you're worried that we might not be able to run our State Championship on Saturday; don't be. Everything should be ok over here.

I guess Groudon and Kyogre are at it again. Where is Rayquaza when you need him?

Anyway, it's really sad such a strong quake hit.
I can't believe how big this is though! It could effect countries so far away!
I hope Japan rapidly recover from this.
Such a great country...
R.I.P all that have lost their lives to this horrific disaster...

Last edited by a moderator:
As of 2 pm central time, news sources are saying over 1000 people are confirmed dead, with many more missing. Apparently a police officer was stating that around Sendai he had seen somewhere between 200 to 300 bodies. What a terrible disaster.

The good news is both Stephen Harper and Obama are willing to step up and do anything Japan needs to help.
I hope this doesn't just get pushed aside and forgotten about by the rest of the world like most of these disasters do and that Japan can recover quickly.

Oh wow, never watch the news so didn't actually know about this until reading this thread :eek:

Really hope my family over there are ok, tried calling but it failed so kinda worried >.<

Apparantly, this earthquake was 1000 times stronger than the one that affected New Zealand a short while back which is crazy if you think about how strong that was and how much devastation it caused :/

Really hope my family over there are ok, tried calling but it failed so kinda worried >.<

Here in Canada the ambassador from Japan said there is an embassy run website with advice on how to get ahold of people there. I haven't found it or tried but it's out there and I'm sure the information is transferable to the us or whatever country your in. I wish you the best of luck getting in contact with your family and hope I helped.

Terrible, dont even know what to say about this. Best of luck getting in contact with your family >.<

Can anyone find solid information about the feared meltdown? Ive read somewhere that even the backup generators stopped working and the whole thing is running on batteries? But informations really differ depending on the source :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back