Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Meltdown

Magic Mew

Hello, everyone. I have a question about an alleged Secret Deck played at Worlds this year. I know that happened about two months ago, so its ancient history is forum terms, but this is something I have been curious about for a while.

I decided to play Salamence ex PK&DF/Altaria ex/Magneton for the grinder this year, and I spent most of the time between Nationals and Worlds testing and tweaking it. When I met up with a friend in Hawaii and told him what I was playing he assured me that I was playing Meltdown, and it was the super-duper secret deck that would sweep worlds this year. Everyone would be playing it, and yet, (somehow) no one knew about it. As you can tell (because I'm posting this so long after Worlds happened) I don't log onto the 'Gym much. And so I hadn't heard any of the hype about the deck.

As it happened, I think I was the only one playing it. At least I didn't see anyone else with the deck. On Thursday in the testing room however it seemed to draw quite a bit of attention. A group of people came over and pointed at the deck and began speaking very quickly in Spanish. When I played a kid form the Czech Republic, he nodded and said "Ohhh, Salamence x". It was clear that he, and seemingly everyone else, knew something about the deck that I didn't. Even on Sunday night when I was playing the guys from Japan, Yamoto and his friends pointed at the deck and laughed when I took it out and started playing with it.

So, my question is: Does anyone know the story behind this? Was it a deck like Claydol that was meant to draw attention away from the real Secret Decks, or were people really planning on playing it? What was the real Meltdown?

I really like the deck, and although I didn't have much success with it in the grinder I think that it was a good, strong deck. I think it was the wrong choice for the Grinder metagame, but had it been played at States or Regionals I think it could have really done well. A 30 spread each turn is amazing, especially when after you have done that for a couple turns you can OHKO anything with Salamence ex DF, or spread the damage even further by hitting the active for 40 and the bench for 40. You can OHKO anything with Bright Flame in a pinch, and even though Magneton isn't your main attacker he can still hit for massive amounts of damage. The deck has a ton of great matchups and can beat just about any setup deck if you play it well.

Thanks for reading this, any insight you have would be helpful.

P.S. While I'm on the subject of Worlds, I would like to thank everyone from PoP and Nintendo who made Worlds 2007 the best Worlds ever! Even though I didn't even compete, it was one of the greatest experiences of my whole life.

meltdown was charizard d, delcatty pk, and mantine d
your deck wasnt meltdown, but sounds like it was fun to play

I played a similar deck at Regionals while I was a Senior. My strategy was to use Volcanic Flame however. I made top eight, but I don't know anything about it being a secret deck. Possibly because it was a secret... :p

I played a similar deck at regionals and it did very well. I would have easily made top cut had I not bin stalled out of my last match.

The good list didn't play delcatty, as delcatty was deemed useless in the deck.

It was a real deck, unlike Claydol, but it was scrapped due to its very shaky Spread matchup, which was unacceptable last format =/ Was a fun deck though

Back