Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mighty Blade Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddiursa

Armaldo has, by some people, been labeled an archtype, so I'd like to try it out in a deck. Please help me improve it, and possibly identify it's main enemies and problems.

Pokemon: 19/9 basic
4 Anorith (fast evolution)
3 Armaldo
3 Eevee
3 Espeon SS
3 Dunsparce
3 Azurill

Trainers: 23
4 Claw Fossil
4 Mystery Plate Gamma (works when opp. has 6, 5 or 2 prices left)
4 Oracle
4 Master Ball
4 Moo-Moo Milk
3 Switch

Energy: 18
18 Fighting

Strategy:
Dunsparce finds Azurill/Eevee, Azurill finds Fossils/Trainers, Eevee finds Espeon, and Anorith finds Armaldo & other evo's - just to mention some of the search possibilities. As Armaldo will cripple all Supporter cards when he's active, there's no point for me to stuff my deck full of Supporter search & draw cards. Instead I use the pokemons to dig up others as soon as possible.
I've never tested the Mystery Plate (Gamma), but I think it might work well in this deck being a no-Supporter with draw-power, plus that nice attack when the opponent has 2 prices left.
I've chosen Espeon as a partner for Armaldo because he has a more-than-decent attack, works with fighting energy, is easily brought out by other cards in the deck, and in case I should encounter a rare grass deck (like Muk EX...).
I believe the key to making this deck happeing is having two Armaldos in play, so that the opponent can't warp point himself out of the no-supporter grip, while I deliver 60 damage consistantly.

Please share your thoughts!

Last edited:
Where are the Ancient Ruins? Ancient Ruins is the only draw card in Modified that isn't a Supporter and doesn't end your turn, so I'd think it'd have a place in this deck.

Ancient Ruins, yes... I completely forgot that one...

I will most definitly add this one to my deck.

Thanks, a lot!

Last edited:
I have contemplated this deck very seriously. I like your style playing only 4 supporters. The thing I want to do wiht mine is have 2 absols and 4 multi/dark/rainbow to devestae them in case. It sounds fun, but I need to proxy it up and playtest it before I start rolling.

Clefable73 said:
I have contemplated this deck very seriously. I like your style playing only 4 supporters. The thing I want to do with mine is have 2 absols and 4 multi/dark/rainbow to devestae them in case. It sounds fun, but I need to proxy it up and playtest it before I start rolling.

That's not a bad idea! I would only need 1 Absol, 'cos Dunsparce will fetch it and leave it on my bench until a multi energy comes along. I could possibly play 3-4 multi energies without problems in place of some fightning energies. And then when my opponents hand is huge I choose all supporters there and back in the deck they go... Next round retreat Absol and's it's Blade Arms time again.

Hmm, thanks!

Absol discards and the cards must be randomly chosen. Skarmory lets you choose with seeing and shuffles the cards into deck. I think in this deck, you're right. Skarmory and shuffle would be better, beacause it forces your opponent to draw those supporters again. Nice deck!!!

AbsolutelyNobody said:
Absol discards and the cards must be randomly chosen. Skarmory lets you choose with seeing and shuffles the cards into deck. I think in this deck, you're right. Skarmory and shuffle would be better, beacause it forces your opponent to draw those supporters again. Nice deck!!!

Yeah, you're right! I knew they had similar attacks, but though it was Absol who let's you choose. Wrong! Anyway this is even better, bacause Skarmory has grass-resistance, which can cover for Armaldo if needed.

So this is how it looks now:

Pokemon: 19/10 basic
4 Anorith (fast evolution)
3 Armaldo
3 Eevee
2 Espeon SS
4 Dunsparce
2 Azurill
1 Skarmory

Trainers: 24
4 Claw Fossil
4 Mystery Plate Gamma (works when opp. has 6, 5 or 2 prices left)
4 Oracle
3 Master Ball
4 Moo-Moo Milk
3 Switch
2 Ancient Ruins

Energy: 17
14 Fighting
3 Multi Energy

I will add a Crystal Shard if Rayquaza EX becomes popoular around here (at the store tournaments). He's VERY dangerous to me because of his fightning-resistance.

Last edited:
You could use fisherman, town volunteers,

You could use a solrock to use cosmic draw or lunjatone to also use cosmiac draw

Victor said:
You could use fisherman, town volunteers,

You could use a Solrock to use cosmic draw or Lunatone to also use cosmic draw

Fisherman and Town Volunteers are both Supporters, so if I find out I need to recycle cards, I think I'll have to go with Linoone (Sandsotorm) or Energy Recycle System (Dragon) or something. because Armaldo stops Supporter cards I'm delibarately cutting down on them.

Solrock could be used, I'm certain. I'll keep him in mind when I've playtested it a few time. See what I have space for.

Last edited:
You could possibly play both Solrock and lunatone and where solrock would turn into fire against grass decks. But in my area there are not very many grass decks that are doing anything. I am sure play testing is needed. I don't know if Garde is big where you play but I find it always nice to play boost energy with Espeon.

Last edited:
Don't use Solrock and Lunatone as draw power. Your opponet has to have an evolved poke in play before you can use it, so a good player will not evolve for the first few turns while he is using his supporters and attaching NRG's. This will put you several turns behind. Since your all about getting poke's early think about PETM. This should also allow you to drop your Anorith to 3 and up your Skarmory to 2. I think I like the Gamma thing, its an EEEEEK early,and a Devolution Beam late. I like Ancient Ruins alot, I run 4 in one of my decks. It allows you to still draw on the first turn if you start, and on turns when its already in play you can use it then play another and use that one to get two extra cards on that turn. Finding the room is the hard part.

Have you playteseted this deck much? I was wondering how fast the set up is? I was thinking of making a armaldo deck and was wondering how they do.

AbsolutelyNobody said:
Have you playteseted this deck much? I was wondering how fast the set up is? I was thinking of making a armaldo deck and was wondering how they do.

Well, first I'm gonna play-test it against my daugther as soon as we've gotten the 4 Oracles needed, and if it's tournament worthy we'll take it to the store tournaments, any try it out for real.

I think Oracles are essential, cos I will most probably get at least one early in the game, and then I'll make the most of them, possibly finding one with the other, drop the Ancient Ruin and have the extra card every turn from then on (b/c of less danger of drawing an Oracle I can't get rid of).

I'm very qurious about how fast this is to set up myself and how much damage supporter-denial actually does. I'll post the answer here over the weekend.

Last edited:
AbsolutelyNobody said:

I built the deck earlier today, and play-tested it againt a Blaziken-Rayquaza Deck... And it got too much of a beating... The problem is that it takes too much time to get a powered-up Armaldo into play compared to Rayquaza EX... Even if Armaldo has a Crystal Shard on it and kills Ray, the next wave of attack from Rayquaza #2 will kill it... and I found it too hard to have a second attacker ready by that time...

I feel a little like making a Wobbuffet & Water Pokemon deck right now... Wonder why...

Anyway, I'd like this deck to stand up against the best, so if someone has another experience when using Armaldo against Blaziken-type decks, Gardevoir decks etc... proving that it indeed CAN beat them, not just on a lucky day... please post it here!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back