Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

MisSpinner - Donphan-Mismagius deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Hawk

I read some deck suggestions about using Donphan and Mr. Mime together. Liked the idea, but after your opponent charges 3 energy to tank and sweeps through, there's not much to do with low damage Donphan does. I thought adding Mismagius to do damage to those that overload energy to their pokémon.

So to the list (edited slightly):

3 Phanpy SW
3 Donphan SW
3 Mr. Mime MT
1 Skarmory Ex
2 Misdreavus DP
2 Mismagius DP

14 Pkmn

2 Castaway
2 Oak's Visit
2 Steven's Advice
3 Roseanne's Research
4 Celio's Network
1 Team Galactic's Wager
1 Scott
1 Strenght Charm
4 Pokedex Handy910is
2 Buffer Piece
3 Phoebe's Stadium
1 Lake Boundary
3 PlusPower
1 Warp Point
1 Night Maintenance

31 Trainers

5 Fighting Energy
3 DRE
3 Psychic Energy
2 Multi Energy
2 Scramble

15 Energy

So the strategy is setting up T2 Donphan, start spinning and switching Mime in when you're spinning. Mime's body blocks the damage from most T2 decks. Maybe Mime Junior to block Banette?

Cessation decks can be handled with Donphan's second attack. DRE usually loads the Donphan up and 110/120 damage is enough. Pluspowers and Strenght Charms help a bit to fix the damage to 130, and Donphan shouldn't die too soon as it's spinning out every turn.

When Donphan spins out, we switch Mime in. When Mime blocks all damage from pokémons that have up to 2 energy, Mismagius hits 90 (Gardevoir or Gallade for 120) if they load to three. Mimes are easy sacrifices as they only need themselves, and force your opponent to make themselves either weak to Donphan by putting Cessation, or Mismagius by putting 3+ energy.

Some teches to be included:

Mime jr.: If Banette is popular in your area, use this.
Skarmory Ex: As spinner switches your opponent's pokemon constantly, your opponent might have to retreat to get a good offense going. This drops 20 damage to retreaters and can be effective on spreading damage around.
Shuckle SW: For blocking Special Energies. 1 retreats hurts a bit, though.
Cessation Crystal: If you need to block some powers during your turn or with Mismagius, use this. Works best as tech here.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Hmmmmm... interesting deck. Might try it at League. How many Skarmory ex would I need?

Anyway, I don't like flippy trainers like ER2 AT ALL. I can understand why it's so important to this deck,but I still don't like it. Maybe another Strength Charm/Buffer Piece?

Anyway looks good.

If you don't like ER2, there's even a change to add in 1 to 2 Cessations. There's no drawback putting Cess to Donphan, but on the other hand, it doesn't block the powers in your opponent's turn (as Mime comes forward). Also Mismagius works fine with them.

I was thinking a single Skarmory Ex. You don't want to start with it, as well as you don't want to put it down vs. Magmortar or other snipers, but it might mess up your opponents game for good.

Some interesting notes about matchups...

Ampharos SW: Spinner should do it's job here, weakness serves it. Cessation might work fine here. Don't forget you can do some fast damage if they set up Ampharos, just use a supporter and Mismagius' Avenge (1 damage counter per your damaged pokémon).

Garde/lade/absol: Mismagius might play a big part here OHKOing garde/lade. Spinner helps with Absol due to weaknesses. Usually these decks use DRE also, so don't be afraid to use Shuckle to come forward. They will have to switch first anyway. I'm concerned about Gardevoir's power and Lv. X, as Mimes and Shuckles are easily brought down.

Blissey: Weakness game here. Mismagius is the ultimate counter, but Mime won't have as much to do as Blissey charges energy before doing damage. The damage will be spread more equally, and you'll propably have to use Mismagius for sweeping.

DWD: Lv. X is a hard one to deal with in this matchup. We also have the weaknesses problem with Mismagius, and resistance probs with Donphan. Murkrows can't touch Mime but sniping with Lv. X's attacks hurt. Both are relatively low damage decks, so as long as you Donphan Absol fast enough, you might stand a change.

Magmortar: Can't say much about this. Your best bet is propably going for OHKOs with Mismagius in the later game.

Empoleon: Donphan is weak, but he usually won't stop to take damage in the front anyway. Keep spinning and spreadind damage and remember thet Mime's power says 2 energy _cards_, so Scramble is only going to help Mismagius. You might have to use the second attack of Donphan here. Mismagius is pretty much the key player here.

I Played this deck (but without Mismagius) in a x-mas tournament here in norway. And i came 2th place (in Masters) And this deck dont nessecery need mismagius, cuz donphan really does enough damage and mr.mime is really neat in this deck. I did beat Bannete deck, gallade decks and rampardos deck without any problems. But i lost twice to blissey tough. But im thinking about maby to add 1 Absol ex, so that i can move dmg from benched pokes to the active one.

Donphan does nice damage, but there's a chance that your opponent loads up the big guy in the bench and gives up some prizes and hacks through with the big one. Mismagius is neat counter as it starts to work well where Mr. Mime stops working - when your opponent has the big one pumped up.

Donphan is the key player still, Mismagius is just kind of tech to try to cover the weak points of straight donphan-mime.

I'm still collecting cards for this, so no actual game results yet - just theory..

Thinking of testing 1-1 Dugtrio CG here as a new tech - Empoleon, DWD and Magmortar all use some sniping and with this, the bench would be kept safe while keeping Mime/Shuckle absorbing the active position's damage. It's also important to keep Mismagius healthy while building it up, as she can take only 90 which is pretty low for late game sweeper. If she can take 2 hits she most propably takes 2 prizes.

Also Phoebe's Stadiums with one Lake Boundary do not seem like a worst idea - psychic and fighting are the most common weaknesses, and Mime is OHKOed anyway if the opponent gets 3 energy to it's attacker... Just need one Scott for supporter engine in that case.

Keep your thoughts coming, getting this deck in action next week...

Funny,I just recently made a deck similair to this deck I used 4-2-4 machamp line thoug and 3-3 miamagius no mr mimes I don't think I have mimes... Oh well, It seems like a solid strategy and I might just build it with better trainer line and donphans. and BTW Mismagius is a BEAST!!

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I might also mention running lake boundary - one shotting a gardi or gallade while they only have 2 energy cards on them is so WRONG same with donphan vs blissey... ownage? I played a match with this deck against blissey and lake boundary really helped doing 80 and than switching :lol:

just thought I'd mention this

Last edited:
Ok, I've went through some extensive testing against various decks (mainly Gallade) and discovered the following:

1. Donphan needs Scramble. At least 2 of them. When Donphan concentrates on spreading and switching around, when Gallade is strong enough to knock out Mime, scramble is the key - either for Mismagius which can pretty much go for OHKO with it or to Donphan to do the 70, which is enough to knock out a softened one. Scramble helps a load with Cessations too, as Cessation usually results Mime knockout.

2. Donphan also needs Buffer and so does Mismagius. Once you have 4 energy collected to Donphan (shouldn't be too hard when he never stays active) and would like to make an attack for 70/130, Buffer keeps you out of the trouble. It's hard work to survive with 90/100 HP pokémon in the meta of 130 HP monsters,

That being said, I'm getting some promising results with this deck. Absol is a problem and may need some Sableye to counter, but without Absol-discarding starts this performs pretty well in the dangerous G&G field.

I'm currently testing teched Skarmory Ex and 1-1 Smoochum-Jynx d -lineup for retreats as I'm missing some Phoebe's, but it actually is manageable with 3 Roseanne's.

yes , i love stall decks(i posted the other one)this one looks great. i think gengar is a good contender ,maybe combined with absol ex .:thumb:

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

a sablye could be added to counter blissey?:confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back