Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mooses, Maple Syrup and Eh? King's 1st Place Epic Worlds Journey!

Hurricane

Hey, this is my Worlds Report. I found that Worlds was weird, because the meta was twisted in every country, and you couldnt really assume which deck would be top, because yea, its unpredictable. The first week was basically compressed into one day. Zach, my Dad, Nick and I tested and worked on the list, and found as usual, Bronzong G was unusable, as it had the flaw of starting to a trainer-lock. We thought about other cards, like ERL, but once again, we figured the opponent would just outplay and we could then and only bring it to sudden death. Basically the techs were going to stay the same, so we went for pure consistency. Zach and my Dad decided to play 4 Roseannes Research, but I was still struggling to find what card was right for me. We went over to our friend Troys house, and tested with his girls, Dakota, Winston, Reed, etc. We got some good testing in against Winstons Sablelock, and I learned Chatot was needed for ChatterLock on a Gardevoir, or Mimic under the lock. I ended up abusing Chatot to the fullest, and I was happy I ran it. Dakota ran a Machamp, and I beat it up 2-0. I learned a new strategy of how to beat a Claydol-less Machamp, and stall it for a turn w/o using Chatter Lock. The day was going great for me, until I battled Troy and his girls. They all played Pluff, and I knew it would be out there. Then and there, I knew I needed another SP Radar, or a Power Spray.

The next day I went on MSN, and Dakota was on. I talked to him a bit about the deck, and he advised me for the 4th SP Radar. I thought about the 4th Spray for a second, but that would sorta suck against Cursegar, and Ploxx. Both debatable. We also both agreed it helped mirror, but overall I chose the 4th SP Radar, because when I played vs Pluff, I needed to kill the Dol, not stall it. So I went right to the r00t of the problem, and took out my Unown Q for it. I needed my Q, but I knew Chatot + Radar were more valuable. I felt fully content with the list, and we played a few more mirror games with Zach at the house before Worlds. My dad needed alot of testing, because he was going into Grinders. We test with him, and I further my mirror matchup knowledge. I knew how to handle it, and my mirror matchup felt almost easy. It was w/o a doubt my most played matchup, so I had to know it well. Anyways, I catch the plane, and we head off to Hawaii! :thumb:

GRINDERS
Well during Grinders, I met quite a few people. I met Amt, Chris, Paul, and others. We all chilled, and then I signed up at the competitors booth. It turns out my dad was taking down quite a few good people, and I was really ahppy for him. We met up with Gavin, Kevin, Jack, and Cor, and I make 10$ off of Gavin by bring his store some customers :tongue: It was awesome, I also got to see Takuto, Yamato, and Steve S. The people were all really nice, and I hope they thought the same. I played some fun games, and I tested vs Ploxx. Once again another satisfying matchup. I felt as if it wasnt that hard, but I was unsure of my Steelix, Torterra, or other T2 Matchups. I was unsure how well I played against Donphan, but I knew how to beat it as well; Tocix Fang and 'Rush. So my dad ended up going 4-3, hitting 28th place, not bad for his first grinders! I was quite proud of him, but next year he said hes going to bring a Red Bull :wink: So after a long day, we order pizza, and start a train race, which wasn't very smart, but was sure entertaining. The creator of the TCG was on the train, and was filled with joy watching Jack outrun the train, LOL. We had a good time, and I crash pretty late. Rawr. Oh yeah I decided to play LuxChomp with Mismagius. Sorta a good idea to state my deck, lol. Also a Senior, keep that in mind :p

WORLDS: DAY 1
Well after registration, and almost missing it, and spilling my dice in the bathroom, we sit down and watch the beggining ceremony. It was pretty sick, and then we get paired up. I dont know most of the names, but Ill be sure to update later :D

Round 1: ??? (FR-NC)(Gengar SF + Pixie Lock)
This was a real unique deck, I really enjoyed the match. He opens Gastly to my Luxray, and Trainer Locks me. It turns out his whole deck is french, and Gengar is Ectoplasme in french :D I get Poltergueisted for the next 3 turns, and set up a few Grachomp C's and Luxrays. I make a 4 prize comeback, after 3 straight Garchomp snipes, and bring it down to 2-2, his turn. He drops a Judge, and I get a Uxie. He chooses to Shadow Room my Chatot Benched, and I start my turn. Gengar is in perfect KO range of a Psychic Restore, so I Setup and get DCE for my benched Chompy. I Psychic Restore under the deck, and he kills Chatot with Shadow Room. I snipe a benched Mespirit for game, GG man! You had me on the run for a bit. 1-0

So Im feeling quite confident, especially when I hear a few friends grinded in, old and new, and that Chris won his game. Jack lost his unfortunately, because he took out his ERL and fought a Torterra D: Poor Jackulous. Zach also lost his game, and I felt ancouraged to win even more. Probably the best idea lol.

Round 2: Jason M. (Runner-Up Worlds 2009)(Gyarados)
We both get relatively bad starts, but I get a call to his Sableye start. I open with Promocroak, 5 energy and a Luxray GL X -.-' He keeps Impersonating, but whiffs BTS for a while. I draw a few prizes with Luxray GL X, and eventually topdeck Roseanne for a Chatot, and get a nice hand of like, 10 cards. From there, I kill his active Gyarados, but he Psychic Binds me in between, so I opt to Trash Bolt. Im at around 3 prizes give or take, and he plows me with a Gyarados but I spray a key Bat, and stay alive at 100 damage. I retreat, Healing Breath, and Poke Turn, getting the kill on Gyara after dropping my 2nd Bat. He drops SSU, and Psychic Binds me, but I spray. He gets a Belted Gyarados up, and kills meh D: I send up my benched Luxray, attach and trash bolt FTW. Coolios man! 2-0

Im feeling amazing now. A National Champion and now a World Runner-Up? This is amazingggg. I enjoyed both games immensly, and I was sure to take mental notes on how they play. I tried to remember just in case I battle them in Top Cut if I made it :p

Round 3: Gunther v.R. (BE-NC)(ShuppeTech)
He started with Uxie, to my Crobat G. He Psychic Restores, and hits me for a massive 20 damage :eek: I draw, and Rose for a Uxie, and a Crobat with an Energy and Poke Turn in hand. Im thinking if I can hit the Donk, so I try for it. I drop 2 Flash bites, and go for a Setup. the 3rd card in is Poketurn. Cool deck bro, it had like Starmie and Luxray in it lol. 3-0

:eek: That is all.

Round 4: Aylam R. (Gyarados + Donphan)
Well, he flips Azelf to my Ambipom G. He ends. I drop Bat and DCE. GG xD 4-0

WOW I just beat(donked) Aylam! It seems I have a great chance at cut, and Mike hangs on. He needs to go X-0 to make it thru, because he already took 2 losses. I wish him the best, and pairings go up.

Round 5: Igor C. (PT-NC)(Feature Match!)(LuxChomp + ERL + Mewtwo)
Well, he uses Pokemon Collector for 2 Uxie and a Mewtwo. I Spray both Uxie, and hes forced to Pass. I kill both of his Garchomps fast, and he cant setup. He gets a Mewtwo, but I just use Mismagius, and his Bronzong got trapped up there. while I kill Luxrays, and his 2nd Mewtwo. I have 2 more prizes at this point, and he cant even draw one. He Psychic Restores after getting Bronzong G out of the active slot, and tries to Setup again, but was sprayed :cool: I kill Azelf for game, after he Locks up my Chatot for turns D= Amazing game, Igor! 5-0

Round 6: Karri I. (FI-NC)(LuxChomp + ERL + Gardy)
Well basically, I Snipe for 4 straight turns, and he can't Ambipom cuz 50% of the time I have a spare energy, and I killed both Ambipom and Promocroak. I Bright Look Gardy, and Spray a Telepass after Spraying both Uxie. He draws 1 prize all game. GG Karri, and nice meeting you. 6-0

Wow, I might go undefeated! This is freaking sweeeet lol.

Round 7: Aaron Fen Ling C. (AU-NC)(DialgaChomp)
Well, courtesy of Jason, I have a video! :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/MewJadester

Ok well enjoy. I lose lol. 6-1

Ok so I hit 3rd seed for next day, and meet Brandon J. He was really cool, and we talk about his opponent for a bit. It turns out Im battling LuxChomp, so I enter day 2 quite confident, but still a bit nervous. The tables get shorter, and the judges closer lol. The pressures on!

DAY 2: TOP 16

Top 16: Ty W. (US)(LuxChomp + ERL + Claydol)
Game 1: Well, him and I Setup, and he gets a 2 Prize lead on me, after I draw into Cyrus. I get rolling, and kill Ambipom, and then Baltoy. He has trouble setting up after that, and I take out both Garchomps. After a few turns of Flash Impacts, him and I start to actually setup some more. It goes into 1-1, with a few Pokemon of mine damaged with 60 shots from his Flash Impacts. He has Mismagius benched, and sends it up after a few shots. I kill it with Bat + Trash Bolt, but he didnt see it coming. Amazingly played!

Game 2: The same thing as Game one, except halfway through, he drops ERL and brings it to Sudden Death after Poketurning Crobat. He said it was his best choice, so I took his word. I got Turn 2 Dragon Rush'ed, and yea I lost.

Game 3: After shuffling his mom's like, "GO GET HIM TY!!!" I Ambidonk'ed his Unown G :lol:

Cool deck Ty, loads of tricks! 7-1

Top 8: Toya N. (Japan)(Donphan + ERL + Regirock + Bench Shield + Poke Healers)
Game 1: We start off with his Phanpy to my Crobat G, him starting. I prep a Garchomp C and Luxray, and he gets Donphan, and drops Regirock. He attaches Bench Shield, and that wasnt too great :nonono: He Earthquakes, and I begin my turn by Bright Looking Regirock. I use Garchomp and take a few turns to snipe off a Donphan. He goes for a Stark Mountain, and plays a Switch into Donphan. He plays Felicity, and I spray Regirock's power and his Uxie. He passes for a few turns, and I get a few cheap prizes of Pachi, Uxies, and a Donphan. I think his deck played 7 energy, because he didnt get any more after that. He draws into a switch after playing PONT, plays a Phanpy, and hits me for 90. I think of all the possibilities, and Bright Look Regi again :lol: I did that 5-6 times I believe. I Poketurn and Snipe Phanpy. He gets a Switch, and sends up Donphan. He has another Uxie on the bench, and plays a Phanpy down. I have 2 prizes left, him 6. I wasnt sure, but I didnt want to try and kill Regirock with Bright Look again, considering I had 1 more time to be able to do it. I drop Garchomp after using Aarons, and Toxic Fang Donphan. He plays a Pokehealer, and removes poison :mad: Jeez, he really thought EVERYTHING out. He does 70 to me, and at this point I dot think he runs Belts... just to be safe I play like he does but still. Anyways, I Bright Look Regi one more time, and play my final Poke Turn on Luxray, and drop a DCE on Garchomp to snipe Uxie. He draws, and passes. I retreat into something, attach, and pass. He passes. I snipe Pachi for game. *surprise* lol.

Halfway through the match my sleeve gets ripped, and I ask my dad to get a spare. He runs, but the judges say hes taking too long, so I take a pack of theres, and resleeve. They were Giratinas, so it wasnt so bad :wink: onto Game 2!

Game 2: An exact repeat of Game 1, except at 4 prizes, he drops ERL and switches into it. I assume hes using it as a damage sponge, but whatever lol. I Earthquake, and he retreats into Donphan and hits me for 90. I drop a Crobat, play Poketurn, and snipe it for game. GG Toya!

Weird, healers :p He started crying, and I felt bad. But I proceeded into T4!?!?! lol 8-1

Top 4: Hiroki Yano (JP-NC)(LuxChomp + Draggy + Ambipom)
Game 1: He goes ape and kills both Garchomps. I misplay and drop Ambipom instead of Toxicroak G promo. He draws 3 early prizes, and I kill both mirror techs. It turns out he plays Draggy FB, and he wacks my Garchomp C X to the face. Hes at 2 prizes, me 3. I Earthquake Draggy, and he tries to Bright look, after burning 3 Poketurn. I spray, and he poketurns, benches Luxray, and passes. I Snipe Luxray, and he loses next turn. GG

Game 2: He draws bad, and stalls with Ambi after I earthquake his 1st Garchomp. He loses in 3 turns lol.It was a surprise when he played both Garchomp Techs, it caught me off guard. Pretty cool though :D 9-1

SOOOOOOO. Now I was in Top 2. My greatest acheivement EVAR. This was gunna be on Youtube, and all that stuff, and if I won, I'd be the first Canadian to win. So sick. Well here we go!

Top 2: Mychael Bryant (US-LCQ)(Gyarados + AMU + Luxray)
Game 1: He and I get decent starts, I get a Luxray up and take 4 prizes while killing his Azelf MT twice. He keeps regenerating it with Pokemon Rescue, which got quite annoying. I have nothing in hand, and he takes a second to choose who hes going to send up. He scoops there, thinking I have some godly hand :wink: I guess I throw a better bluff then I thought! xD

Game 2: I get the same decent start, he got a significantly better one. He gets the AMULock out Turn 2, and I struggle with my energy attachments. I burn my Cyrus-Chain early on, for a costly Pokemon Collector, and from there I have 2 cards in hand. No supporters. He Belts a Gyarados, and just starts ripping through my deck, and I scoop after he starts passing 20 cards in his hand lol. GG

Game 3: Well this sure turned out more epic then I thought :lol: So we both start, him with Karp. He starts his turn, and Sea Sprays for 1. I look at my hand, and Im 10 off for the Donk. I was tempted to go for it, but sadly declined. I get setup and Bite his Krap(Karp). He sends up Azelf, and plays Warp Energy into a Sableye. I start ripping through his Pokemanz, and after I draw four prizes, he gets his first Gyarados out, fully powered. I drop a Luxray, and Bright Look his Azelf MT, which he just as quickly regenerates. I have a Luxray on my bench from an Aarons that last turn, and plan to win next turn, but of course he drops Azelf MT AGAIN. Jeez, whata cool play lol. He forgot to drop Luxray, but I had a Spray in hand, so I was good either way. He Revenges me, and I send up Uxie. I draw, and retreat. Mychael played 1 MT Mespirit for a T1 Sableye, and to avoid ERL drops. Cool idea man, but I figured if I topdecked Uxie Lv X, Id get a good Trade Off in :thumb: So I send up a Bat to sac, and he goes for it. I Night Maintenance back in my Luxray X, even though one was in the deck (just playing safe folks :p), play Cyrus, grab an SP Radar and an Energy, attach to my Luxray. It now has 2 Energy, so I drop an Energy Gain, and play Radar and get Luxray X. Now at this point, everybody rawrz, so I keep my cool in and play out the best move. I Bright Look Azelf MT, and call Flash Impact, and was crowned World Champion! :tongue:

Well, after this long report, if you didnt read it and just checked the win number (thats what I do ;)) Then just check out the props, you probably made them :eek:

PROPS
Zach L: Your my brother, and I cant thank you more. You made the original list, and helped me test with my card changes. Its the most perfected deck evar, and for you just being there it also meant alot to me. Your coming to San Diego, so we gotta rep Canada again!
Marcel L: Your my Dad, and you supported me alot. I gotta say, if you werent there beside me I wouldnt have boarded the plane :lol: Thanks for being there.
Harrison L: Dude, your like my USA bro. You helped me with lists and ideas this year, and it really helped me to get to Worlds. I had alot of fun just talking with you on Hamachi and MSN; hope to see you at the GA Marathon.
Dakota G: Yo man, your ghettofabulous lol. You helped me with the final match by advising me towards the 4th Radar instead of the 4th Spray, and Id totally regret the 4th Spray, cuz Im pretty sure that Radar in the Worlds video is the 4th. Thx.
Winston C: You were key in my performance, because you were always giving me new ideas and helped me become stornger this year. Too bad you couldnt make it, enjoy Masters!
Mike L: Ditto. You helped me with my strategies alot, and its too bad you didnt hit Top 16, Top 32 you were in for sure. Cya at a local tourny, and once again enjoy Masters :thumb:
Lucas S: Man, I couldnt find you. But once again, one of my better online friends, I wanted to meet you but things didnt work out. Maybe Ill cya at a State?
Peter W: Yo, you da Walrus lol. It was cool talking to you, and with you cheering me on, it meant alot. You truly are a good friend.
Chris S: Hola, man you were so funny. I almost got the crap beat outta me by your Sneasel stuffs, it was cool. So awesome you made it, I was looking for you, but you find me eating that horrible salad :lol: Mmmm speaking of this I gotta watch the new RayWilliamJohnson vids :p
Paul (Lucario Freak!): Sorry I didnt bring your Lucarios like I said. I had alot of packing and had to wake up at 3 D= Ill be sure to get them for next year, and congrats on winning Grinders!
Troy + Family: Thanks for the testing day, it taught me alot. You helped me with my Pluff matchup, which gave me the confidence to win Worlds! That was cool, and I hope to see you in Sandyeggo =P
Reed: Too bad you couldnt make it; Powerpluff wasnt the X-O >.< Cant wait to seeya at Brs and stuff next year!
Medziddo: Yeaaaa. I wish you were there. I think Zach battled Jit BTW =P
Kevin: Your a G.
Jack: Hey, it was nice seeing you again at Worlds, we gotta find some more middle spots to meet up at lol. Lets say Manitoba? :lol:
Cor: You were pretty cool to meet man. Jack tells me lots about ya, but I never got to meet you. Cya at Nationals, dont scrub out lol
Alex: Ur in props, lol jks. I wanna see you at next years Nationals, cuz I wanna see you battle Zach =p
Amt: Your ballin' like Drifblim FB :tongue:
Mike D: Yo it was an honor meeting you man. Too bad we couldnt have a match, I was too tired drinking maple syrup =P
Andrew M and Igor: I like moose rawr lol.
Aylam: Ur coolios man. Cant wait to play (donk) you next year ;)
Alaric: Thats dope man, just so dope LOL
LuxChomp: Your a godess :p
Curtis + Friends: Thanks for the support and help. It was fun chilling at Worlds, next year? :D
The Big Kahuna Burger: OMG NOMNOM
Brandon J: Ur a G6 Lol
Nick + Cam: Wish you were there :p
San Diego: Here I come!
Kevin C: Ur a G too lol.
Yoshi: Cool meeting a German, nice to seeya and battle you.
John K: Wear a shirt LOL.
Jason W: Yo man thx for recording my Round 7 match, it saved me some typing, lol. Maybe Ill catcha in Australia someitme ;)
Marc Lutz: Thanks for helping me and believing in me. Europe here I come :wink:
Aaron: That was a sick game. You really got me, and I honestly know you deserved the win. Next worlds, were having a rematch!
Javier: Your like a boss :p
Kyle M: Your the other boss lol.

No Slops guys, just a well ran tourny. For all of those who read this, I hope you "shock" the competition, and maybe buy my deck if it gets printed LOL Just kidding, but enjoy next year, and I hope to meet you guys in the future.

~Jacob Lesage

Last edited:
nice report jake. too bad the video of your finals on the site was pretty crappy, cuz I wanted to see how you won :( Nice job on 1st at worlds and am glad to be in your props :)

Awesome job Jacob!!! Way to rep Canada!! You deserve this win after such an awesome season. Congrats

Congrats on being the FIRST CANADIAN WORLDS CHAMPION AND GRANDSLAM CHAMPION in the world!

You are going down in the History books of Pokemon and will never be forgotten! You have set a record that will probably not be seen again for A LONG time. Be proud that no can ever be the SPT, Regional, National, and Worlds Champion all in one year just like you!

P.S. you're so much better than Zach ;)

Keep it up and continue to play the season even though you have an invite, don't get rusty and be even better than you were this year! See you at Provincials.

Good job bro, I can't really say anything about Canadians anymore now can I. See you at worlds next year, and next time we'll play a real game.

I was rooting for you the entire time and cannot wait to see you next season. Itll be sweet. We can annoy Chris together lol. You have helped me so much with my lists and I really appreciate it. Your a beast and me and you are going to destroy the seniors division next year. Kudos to you.

Congrats on being the FIRST CANADIAN WORLDS CHAMPION AND GRANDSLAM CHAMPION in the world!

You are going down in the History books of Pokemon and will never be forgotten! You have set a record that will probably not be seen again for A LONG time. Be proud that no can ever be the SPT, Regional, National, and Worlds Champion all in one year just like you!

P.S. you're so much better than Zach ;)

Keep it up and continue to play the season even though you have an invite, don't get rusty and be even better than you were this year! See you at Provincials.

Jacob will be trying to obtain a ratings invite and Nationals trip this year to gain 3 invites.

Geneses: he is better than me compared at age but, I do have my fair share of wins vs him and you lol.

Oh snap I forgot. Im real sorry Jason, dont ban me lol. Im updating right now. Thanks to everybody for the support. I honestly needed it, and I had a blast. I advise that if you have the choice (and money) to go; you should do so. Its unforgetable, and I met a bunch of new friends that Ill now remember forever. I just read the forums ^^

~Jacob

Hey jake congrats on the win for like the millionth time and we need 2 get a new inside joke cuz sauce on the pants sucks now so cya at br's or maybe sooner and thanks for the props man.

You were really awesome to meet and you are one of the best players I have ever watched play. Sick job, good luck next year and congrats, cya at Nats

Back