Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My Sandstorm Report

Well, Ross (Pidgeotto Trainer) has done his interpretation of the Seattle Sandstorm tourney, I'll do mine.

We (me and Ross) arrived at the tourney at about 10:30. We paid, got our prerelease Armaldos(everyone got 2 :D ), and waited for packs to be distributed. After some waiting we finally got our packs and I was a tad disappointed. Not too many evolution lines, only 3 trainers, and the absence of even a single dunsparce (I needed Dunsparce). Heres my deck.

Unexpected Cheapness

Pokes 17
2 Skitty
1 Delcatty
1 Spearow
1 Fearow
2 Seedot (1 of each)
1 Nuzleaf(razor leaf)
2 Kecleon
1 Onix
1 Volbeat
2 Marril (both free retreat :D )
1 Wobbuffet
1 Cacnea(poison payback)
1 Ekans

Trainers 3
1 root fossil
1 claw fossil
1 lannetes net search

Energy 20
11 grass
5 water
2 psychic
2 fighting

Ross and me decided to play a practice game before the actual tourney started. He stalled with root fossil until the tournament started, neither one of use even got a prize.
Round 1-vs. Ross
Great. I have to face my friend 1st round. I drew my hand and knew who would win from there on. I drew 1 claw fossil, 1 Kecleon, and 5 energy. Ross had to Mulligan and, lucky me, another energy. ugh. Ross got about 3 basics. I went first and had to put up Kecleon as active because you can't play fossils in game setup. I atttached an energy to Kecleon and ended my turn. Ross began to setup Eevee for Vaporeon. He attached a (W) energy to Eevee and used signs of Evolution. It all went downhill from there. I never drew another basic.
0-1
Needless to say I was not impressed with the deck I had built at this point.

Round 2-vs. Caleb (I believe I had battled this kid at a previous SBZ)
We setup and I actually get some good pokes. I take an early lead with Volbeat and its ever-annoying Toxic Vibration/Pester combo. I get a Delcatty up and it goes on a killing spree. I just keep attaching more energy. I take the win eventually.
1-1

Round 3-vs. Michael
Well, its time for my Revenge. Michael had denied me victory in the finals at the 2nd SBZ. I start off pretty nervous; Michael is a very good player. We start the battle. He brings out an Onix early. I'm pretty afraid, 80 HP and good attacks. I get a Kecleon set up with a (W) energy so I can try to get some real damage on Onix. Just when I'm about to take down Onix with Kecleon, he evolves it to Steelix. Crap. I have a (G) energy on Kecleon, it went from weakness, to resistance for my poor Kecleon. I then decide to try Marril. Marril is the cheapest pokemon in exsistance. I do a ton of damage to Steelix and send up another pokemon for the kill. Just when I think I've won, he gets an Armoldo set up. A pokemon even stronger than Steelix. 120 HP and an attack for 60. This guys a beast in sealed. Well, time for Marril :D . I get many more heads and send up a Delcatty for the kill. Michael is losing his mind, and I can't blame him. Delcatty kills another insignifigant poke. Michael then gets a Vigoroth. Another strong poke. It takes out my Delcatty. I send up a Woobuffet I've been preparing. I get in 50, he can't knock me out with just another 40, and he knows its game.
2-1 That was a great battle.

Round 4-vs.??? I don't remember his name.
We got to have a special match at our own table. Each round a random game would play at thier own table so people could more easily watch, and the players would get free promos if they were selected for one of theses battles. I was facing a little kid for this round so I underestimated him a little. He starts off with a Solrock, a Seviper and another poke. Wow, 2 rares already on the bench. I set up Kecleon and get in some damage. I stall with Marril. And Volbeat goes in for the win eventually. This wasn't that great a battle. One note though was that this kid thought that poison continued working while you were on the bench. lol.
3-1 Maybe I can make good standings...

Round 5-vs. Brendon Fong (I believe that was his name)
This kid was 1st in the standings for the 10- age group. I didn't take him litely because he was young. He played a great deck. He got an Espeon set up eraly and I knew I was in for trouble. He does heavy damage and I take it out eventually. Volbeat takes out a poke or 2 until he gets a Solrock powered up, and it takes out one of my pokes. I get up Marril and stall until Volbeat can take it and him down for good.
4-1

Well, I get 3rd and Ross gets 4th. My only loss was against my friend and was due to one of the worst hands ever (Its funny Ross failed to mention this in his report...lol. Oh well, It doesn't matter). We both got 9 packs. Pretty good for my first sealed tourney ever.

Nice report Aryl. I didn't mention your standings since I thought you might want to for yourself. :D Very good job w/out a strong evolution line which most decks focused on. :thumb:

Back