Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My Sunday with SpeedCat (AZ BR 2 in 1 day)

Woke up around 7:30 on Sunday and left to get a bite to eat before heading off to a long day of Pokémon playing. Got to GameMaster Games a little before 10 and helped set up before the mad rush of players came in. Never knowing what to play for an event until the last possible minute or going off a hunch and picking something random I decided that lady luck was in my favor and took out the SpeedCat list and proceeded to the deck check area. SpeedCat being nothing more than Luxray and Rayquaza with a standard draw engine and the goal of recycling the energy’s back each turn thus hitting lightning fast. The Judges do their normal little lecture given at the start of any tourney and soon after the pairings are posted and it’s time to begin.

Round One: ?????? with Water?
Sorry but I don’t remember her name. We start off the match and she flips over a Delibird with a Qwilfish and Lapras on the bench to my Baltoy start. I go 1st and happen to have a Call in my hand and go get Shinx and Ray. She attaches to Delibird and attacks. I go retreat , promote the Shinx ,Evolve into Claydol and Cosmic Power for 4. Rare candy to Luxray attach and proceed to clean up from there.
1-0

Round Two: Rico with Politoed
He gets a slow start and I’m up and running by t3 and knocking out Pokes left and right very quick match.
2-0

Round Three: Mitch with His Fire Monkey
This is a very close match with both sides playing extremely well making each move count and not be wasted. Trading prizes almost every turn Fire Monkey for Lightning Cat/Ray and vice versa it quickly starts winding down on time with Mitch having a 1-2 Prize lead. (Note throughout the match my Flips for Ray had been subpar with the exception of a turn in which I get 7 heads in a row) I draw my card and calculate my best plan of attack for at least a tie and the possible factor of time being called on his turn for a sudden death. It ends up coming down to ray needing to bring me back 3 energies and me energy switching the one from my bench onto him giving me the 1HKO on his LVL Up Ape leaving him with a field with no energies and the game within reach on my next turn. Grab my trusty Egg coin Heads Heads Tails GG Mitch.
2-1

Round Four: James with Skittles
At this point I found out Rico from round 2 was 0-1 when I played him so I got paired down and that basically kissed any shot at the top 4 goodbye but a strong finish for points was still needed. We set up and I start off with Chatot to his Rotom he goes 1st and draws/passes. I go attach a call and search for Shinx and Baltoy and end my turn. He draws and passes yet again at this point I start to wonder what’s going on. I draw into a candy and use Bebe’s for the Claydol, Cosmic and secure a Luxray and a lightning attach the lightning to Chatot and smack him for 20 and lock him in place. He again draws his card and says your go. I draw retreat attack to Luxray, Claydol for 3 nab the energy switch move 1 from Chatot to Luxray hit for 40 and that’s that. He shows me his hand which had everything needed to set up Ho-oh or Kiss he just needed a poke search card or 1 of the pokies extremely bad luck.
3-1

We sit around and wait on all of the matches to end which take the whole 40 minutes and even some more time and sure enough when all is said and done I’m sitting right below the cut in 5th.

So Ken and his family pack up the van and speed over to Imperial Outpost which is almost on the other side of AZ for a 2nd BR in the same day and invite me to tag along. We get on site minutes before the tourney is about to start and Trish informs everybody playing that the only cut will be a cut to the top 2 in the Masters. Shortly after pairings are posted and it’s time for round 1

Round 1: Cathy with Magnezone and friends
She gets a lightning fast set up with everything up by turn 2 at the latest. I opened with a Ray and had to throw down 3 energies on him just to get him out of the active position and get a Chatot up that only gets me a turns worth of cards. At this point she’s up 2 prizes already and it’s looking like a shoe in for her to sweep through me. I have 2 Luxray’s 1 fully loaded and 1 with just a lightning on it and a Baltoy and on bench I happen to draw into a Claydol and just before I use Cosmic Power something comes up and she has to scoop :/. Sorry about that Cathy would have really liked to see the outcome of our match.
1-0

Round 2: Alan With The Triple G Threat
Turn 2 setup and nicely timed warps set up the stage for an early 3 prize lead. He does recover quite well and starts to put up somewhat of a fight but really can’t muster up enough juice to totally swing it around. Chatot was the key play this match doing most of the damage to all the Garchomps he was forced to throw up while trying to set up either a Gardy or Gallade and once he is forced to throw down the LVL up in order to restore another Garchomp back Mr Lightning Cat comes into clean up. Prize count being 1-4 in my favor and time under 10 he promotes a Gardy and Psy Locks a Lux for the KO and I bring up Chatot and draw. I ask to see his discard Pile and upon looking in it I see 3 Warps played already and see that his deck only has 5 cards left in it. I have a Luxray on the bench ready to hit for 100 or 150 if he decides to LVL up the Gardy. I attack with Chatot for 20 and lock him in place. He draws and at this point if he does indeed have the 4th warp point he’ll get to live for at least another 2 turns but if not he would be stuck leaving the Gardy up within KO rang of my Luxray, or if he LVL’d up and teleported back to his Garchomp he would then activate my 50+ damage thus Luxray hitting for 150 and the game anyway. He thinks for a bit Psy Locks the Chatot for the KO and I bring up Lux and hit for 100 and the game.

2-0

Round 3: Travis With Froslass and Pals
Slow setup on his part and when he does get one up and running a well timed warp gets me out of those tricky sleeps I can seem to wake up from. Mid Match he gets up an Ampharos which is kind of a pain in the neck when wanting to play supporters (this ends up helping me in the end of the match). With a single prize left and a KO waiting upon my next turn I have a naked active Ray with 50 on it and no way of currently getting it out, I look in my hand and notice a boatload of supporters I’ve been holding onto for quite some time , I play one and place the 10 damage onto all of my pokes including the Ray bumping him up to 60 and now within KO range of his active Froslass. Seeing as all of the rest of Pokes are below 100HP anything that he does do (Well he could have passed but don’t know anybody who would have) would result in me returning the KO on my next turn. Nice Game Travis well played.
3-0

Round 4: Joey with The King of the Sea
Extremely Lightning Fast setup to his semi slow set up and the weakness was too much for him to mid to late game with my 1HKO’s and him unable to return them back quick enough. Warps played a decent role in the early part of this game bringing up key Pokes he would have needed to remain on the bench for at least a turn or 2. Let it be noted Ray during this match hit a record breaking 9 heads for the day and took the last prize with a total of 11 energies on him.
4-0

Top cut was announced and the R4 Match was really unneeded seeing as we were both going into the top cut regardless of who won. At this point it was pretty late and being Diabetic I needed to take my shot and go get some food but my deck needed to be in deck list order so they could check it. Major thanks to Ken who quickly ripped apart my deck and threw it into list order while I ran across the street to the Arby’s and got myself a Ruben and a Drink. Walked back across the street and sat down and starting eating which was exactly what Joey was doing as well. We finished up eating were handed back out decks and we then proceeded to shuffle and then GAME ON!! ( Please note that the next section may be extremely long and boring see as this nice little best 2/3 Hour long game went well over the time allotted and the detail is so fine tuned you might think you were there playing the matches yourself YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!)

Finals: Joey with The King of the Sea

Game 1: T2 Kingdra/Claydol vs. my random hand of basics, energies, and candies
4-1
Game 2: T2 Kingdra/Claydol vs. my random hand of more basics and useless trainers
4-2

So my deck falls apart during the finals and Kingdra does its thing and rips apart a field of helpless basics so I’m forced to settle for a 2nd. I collect my packs and head to the van and Ken drops me off back at home and I go straight to bed after checking on some stuff for school. Overall a nice day just would have like to see a W out of either of the 2 tourneys but there are plenty more BR’s ahead and the larger events with more points on the line are still to come.

Props
Chatot without you I wouldn’t have gotten as far as I did not only are you a nice go to Poke for getting more cards but your also a fantastic attacker when played properly.

Ken and family for driving me all the way across AZ for the 2nd battle road and ripping my deck apart for the finals while I went to get dinner.

All of my opponents for the well played games and challenges you threw upon me during each and every single match making me expand my thinking and overall improving my play.

Slops
Well Rayquaza you really need to be more spread out with the coin flips. Yes it’s nice to get a string of them in a row but 7 and 9 are really not needed when you can’t even get me 1 any other time WHEN I NEED IT!

Having a sandwich for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner good thing they were different: /

Playing down R2 of the 1st tourney giving me a slim to none chance of the top cut

Btw, in case no one knows, I am Travis.

Really, you're giving our match too much credit, I had nothing for most of the game (oddly enough, massive energy drought in my next match also), so I just happily made you KO all 6 Pokemon to win, lol. That was still funny how you never got more than 1 heads for your Speed Gain, would have been over a lot faster if you got more heads. Gj on 2nd, hope to see you at Cities.

Back