Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Nationals/Origins Pokemon Tournament Topic Updated 5/26

mysterioustrainer

Due to the enormus information I have tried to shove into the heading of the first topic, the boards technology can't have any more data put into it. Therefore I am going to have to split the topic into three parts. This part is going to be used for tournament info:

Tournament News
The Prizes and general FAQ about the National Championship is finally up check out the link below.

Pokemon Organized Play Events
Here is a detailed list of each Pokemon tournament at Origins. It seems that you will only be able to play about two events a day, I guess it will give time to those who have other games to play. Here is the list:

Thrusday June 24th

Pokémon TCG Modified Tournament
Event Number: 8152
Age Restriction Players must be: At least 8.
Date Thursday, June 24 - 12:00 PM
Length 3 hours, 45 minutes
Location TBD
Game System Pokémon TCG Current Edition
XP Some
Cost $3.00
Description:A POP-sanctioned event, where players bring their own Modified-format deck for age-modified swiss match play.
This event is limited to only 64 players. There are 59 seats left.
Pokegym players participating:

Pokémon TCG Unlimited Tournament
Event Number: 8161
Date Thursday, June 24 - 02:00 PM
Location TBD
XP Some
Cost $4.50
Description:A POP-sanctioned event, where players bring their own Unlimited-format deck for age-modified swiss match play.
This event is limited to only 48 players. There are 43 seats left.

Pokémon TCG Booster Draft
Event Number: 8951
Date Thursday, June 24 - 03:00 PM
Location TBD
XP Extensive
Cost $13.00
Description:A POP-sanctioned event, where players draft their cards, and build decks to compete in this swiss-pairing tournament.
This event is limited to only 48 players. There are 40 seats left.
Pokegym players participating: mysterioustrainer, Flare Starfire, FireFighter095ReBorn

Friday June 25th

Pokémon TCG Special Sealed Format
Event Number: 8158
Date Friday, June 25 - 10:00 AM
Length 5 hours, 45 minutes
Location TBD
XP Some
Cost $16.00
Description:A POP-sanctioned event, where players will be given select product to compete in a Sealed format tournament.
Materials and characters will be provided.
This event is limited to only 100 players. There are 89 seats left.
Pokegym players participating: mysterioustrainer, Flare Starfire, RainbowRichards

Event Number: 8153
Date Friday, June 25 - 12:00 PM
Location TBD
XP Some
Cost $3.00
Description:A POP-sanctioned event, where players bring their own Modified-format deck for age-modified swiss match play.
This event is limited to only 64 players. There are 51 seats left.

Event Number: 8159
Date Friday, June 25 - 02:00 PM
Location TBD
XP Some
Cost $4.50
Description:A POP-sanctioned event, where players bring their own Unlimited-format deck for age-modified swiss match play.
This event is limited to only 48 players. There are 48 seats left.

Event Number: 8154
Date Friday, June 25 - 03:00 PM
Location TBD
XP Some
Cost $3.00
This event is limited to only 64 players. There are 62 seats left.
Pokegym players participating: RainbowRichards

Saturday June 26th

Pokémon TCG US National Championship
Event Number: 8162
Date Saturday, June 26 - 09:00 AM
Length none
Location TBD
XP Expert
Cost $13.00
Description:Competition in three age brackets, for invitation to World Championships. Swiss rounds first, with top players advancing to single elimination. This is an Open event.
This event is limited to only 248 players. There are 198 seats left.
Pokegym players participating: mysterioustrainer, Flare Starfire, RainbowRichards, FireFigher095Reborn, SteveP, swanton1717, ultimate healer

More information: http://op.pokemon-tcg.com/events/faqs/national_champ_faq.asp

Prizes for the national championship:
Top sixteen finishers in each of the 3 age categories receive the following prizes:
1st Place
U.S. National Champion 1st Place Trophy
An Invite to the World Championships in August, 2004
A Travel award for you and a guest to the World Championships in August, 2004. Click here for details about Travel awards.
A combination of 72 booster packs from the Pokémon-e TCG: EX Series
2nd Place
U.S National Champion 2nd Place Trophy
An Invitation to the World Championships in August 2004
A Travel award for you and a guest to the World Championships in August, 2004. Click here for details about Travel awards.
A combination of 44 Booster Packs from the Pokémon-e TCG: EX Series
3rd Place
U.S National Champion 3rd Place Trophy
A combination of 36 Booster Packs from the Pokémon-e TCG: EX Series
4th Place
A combination of 36 Booster Packs from the Pokémon-e TCG: EX Series
5th through 8th Place
A combination of 18 Booster Packs from the Pokémon-e TCG: EX Series
9th through 12th Place
A combination of 9 Booster Packs from the Pokémon-e TCG: EX Series
13th through 16th Place
A combination of 5 Booster Packs from the Pokémon-e TCG: EX Series

Event Number: 8160
Date Saturday, June 26 - 11:00 AM
Location TBD
XP Some
Cost $4.50
This event is limited to only 48 players. There are 48 seats left.

Event Number: 8155
Date Saturday, June 26 - 01:00 PM
Location TBD
XP Some
Cost $3.00
This event is limited to only 64 players. There are 63 seats left.
Pokegym players participating: Flare Starfire

Event Number: 8156
Date Saturday, June 26 - 03:00 PM
Location TBD
XP Some
Cost $3.00
This event is limited to only 32 players. There are 31 seats left.

Sunday June 27th

Pokémon TCG Team Sealed
Event Number: 8163
Date Sunday, June 27 - 10:00 PM
Length 5 hours, 45 minutes
Location TBD
XP Some
Cost $16.00
Description: Bring in your 2-player team to compete in a Limited-format Tournament!
Materials and characters will be provided.
This event is limited to only 64 players. There are 48 seats left.
Pokegym players participating: Flare Starfire, RainbowRichards, FIreFighter095Reborn

Event Number: 8157
Date Sunday, June 27 - 01:00 PM
Location TBD
XP Some
Cost $3.00
This event is limited to only 48 players. There are 44 seats left.
Pokegym players participating: mysterioustrainer

Hey remember, if you are playing in Nationals or any of these events MAKE SOME NOISE so I can list you in there.

Topic Links
General Information (information, rollcall, news)
Hotel Information (avalable listings, who is staying where)
Tournament Information (tournaments avalable, costs, seats left)

General Links
http://www.originsgames.com
http://www.columbusconventions.com
http://www.pokemon-tcg.com
http://op.pokemon-tcg.com
http://origins.guide.home.att.net/index.htm Last year's unoffcial guide to Origins

Last edited:
I gotta admit the prizes for the nationals are nice and i like how since they finally break this into brackets they limit prizes.

This is great motivation knowing that the only way you win prizes is if you make top 16.

I gotta wonder what the stage 2 package will be at worlds. Knowing you already win a trip what will you get upon arriving there?? :D ;) :p :cool:

I should note that only National winners will get this Stage Two VIP package. Gym Challenge winners will win a Stage One VIP package they can only claim at Origins' Nationals despite they won a trip to Worlds.

I did my look arounds and discovered that several more seats have been taken for Nationals. I guess this is a result of all of the State Championships going by, we should see alot more seats being taken up after this weekend of States.

About my comment above this reply, since it sounds like Stage One VIP Packages that don't get claimed at Origins get sent to the winner's addresses it sounds like Gym Challenge Winners won't have to get a seating at Nationals on their own if they don't want to.

If we won a state championship, is there some kind of package we recieve at the National Champs?

GOROY said:
If we won a state championship, is there some kind of package we recieve at the National Champs?

from http://www.op.pokemon-tcg.com/events/faqs/state_champ_faq.asp:

1st Place
State Champion Award
1 Display Box of Pokémon-e TCG: EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua
Two round bye at the National Championships (a bye means you don’t play the round and are awarded a win in that round)
A Stage One VIP Package containing cool Pokémon Merchandise. This package will be awarded upon onsite registration at the National Championship event at Origins Game Fair.

(emphasis mine)

Last edited:
As RI's state champ, I'll be there...but I'm still confused by what it means by "Top 2 finishers". It doesn't say in each age category....so which top 2? Does this mean that theres going to be like a top 16 and it won't be age seperated? I'm wondering how that's going to turn out.

Flare Starfire said:
As RI's state champ, I'll be there...but I'm still confused by what it means by "Top 2 finishers". It doesn't say in each age category....so which top 2? Does this mean that theres going to be like a top 16 and it won't be age seperated? I'm wondering how that's going to turn out.
Hey there don't worry all prizes are age seperated, so each top winner gets the same stuff (lots of cards, trip and invite). However it is unknown if top 2 players (in each age division) will get the trip as it originally said in the worlds page, because in the nationals page it only shows top one player getting the trip. I am contact pop for more clarification in this.

With this info now clarrified i see how much attention origins us nationsl will attract. I do gotta wonder if it will sell out with the new prize on the line?? :thumb:

FireFighter095ReBorn said:
With this info now clarrified i see how much attention origins us nationsl will attract. I do gotta wonder if it will sell out with the new prize on the line?? :thumb:
Well ever since states were started avalible seats are rapidly dropping. I don't think the tournament will be sold out online but it might get sold out onsite so remember if you want a seat please pre-regester and get your seat reserved today, or tomorrow or the next time you got money!

:thumb: Well its true seats are dropping but i agree with friends in remebering this:
Last year only 100+ seats were taken by origins start but by the time the professor touernmant was started in both years over 200+ seats were taken so that says something.

This yeart if the tournmant is as big as the last 2 wizards tournaments it will SELL OUT!!! ;)

Everyone remmebers the last 2 years:

248 players
2002:
290 players

I remember seeing the list after round 3 when the draft ended and the modified started
Wizards did what most companies dared not to do. Thier seat count was 999 which is symbokic to: Any professor can enter that passed the test by the start of june and this year nintendo prepared for this open event by making a limit of:
248 seats avaliable

That showed nintendo knows if its an open event any averge person with a good deck can walk in so they planned on how many seats needed to be stripped for winners and make the rest or open seats,not like wizards,

I respect wizards for making the 999 seaty rulke knowing it will let all professors in plus any who can pass the test at the tiem buttttt...
I like nintendo's plan this year to stop all people for entering and making an 82 player max for the nationals per age group :D
246 divided by 3=82 per group:thumb:

Last edited:
Let's put it this way. If all the seats are filled by pre-reg, and someone comes up with Generic Tickets wanting to play, they won't be turned away. That's just silly.

DaytonGymLeader said:
Let's put it this way. If all the seats are filled by pre-reg, and someone comes up with Generic Tickets wanting to play, they won't be turned away. That's just silly.
Wow that is great to know about. And if you haven't gotten the hint, I agree that Generic Tickets is the best way to easily get into a Origins event that you didn't preregester for. So remember it doesn't hurt to get some of these tickets as they will also be your best key into the "pick up" drafts and such.

Sorry I haven't been around the last three days, I have been practicing for the upcoming Colorado Gym Challenge, well there has been new updates to post though. One of which is to say the Nationals page has now been offically corrected to the appropriate information. Let me remind you that U.S. Nationals (not internationally) that top two (not one) players will receive a travel award to Worlds! Of course I will keep you updated with the status of all POP events at Origins!

I also have a VIP badge (NC state champion), and was wondering if I should preregister for Origins pokemon events. If the discounts kick in, how do we get the online preregistration to acknowledge that? Are we automatically entered into the National Tournament?

In short, should I bother preregistering for any events, or should I just get generic tickets once I'm there and enter each tournament as it comes?

Cheers for any help,

Well, considering that POP/PUI didn't coordinate anything VIP with the administrators at the convention regarding costs (outside of a 1 day badge for States/Challenge winners) but are expecting the TO to take care of it, I don't think pre-reg is a good thing. Also, since the cost of the event is $13, that's not easilly divisible by $1.50 (which is the cost of a Generic Ticket). I will ask the TO, but he's most likely going to have to go to POP/PUI to get an answer. I can probably guarantee that there will be a featured match table, but not for every VIP winner. The logistics of that are WAY too messy and disruptive for the overall tournament. Think about it, just from States we have ~150 VIP Players (assuming that all 50 states hold one) - that means 150 "featured match" tables. This doesn't even factor in the CC and Challenge Winners. As for special lines, I can't guarantee that either. I will also talk to the TO about that. Considering we haven't even seen a floor plan for the TCG Hall yet, I don't think any of us (including POP) can speak to that.

As to the question about being Pre-Registered for winning States, I have no idea. That, if I were you, I'd ask to POP directly. Please feel free to share any response you get from them with everyone.

Last edited:
I had a feeling that VIP status would cause some chaos. We will have to see how that will turn out.

Well I will get you enlisted healer, I will also post you on the primary roll call list in the general origins forum. Let me know if you are playing in anything more than just the Nationals.

Back