New Bagon promo (?) announced

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by Marcello-Milord, Nov 24, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcello-Milord

Marcello-Milord New Member

On the Pokémon-tcg site, it is reported that a Bagon promo card (the image near the article is (http://www.pokemon-tcg.com/img/admin_images/bagoncard.jpg)... it's the Bagon from Ex-Dragon.​
    It is reported that it'll be found in January issues of Scrye and InQuest... and in each magazine the card will have a special stamp related to the magazine! Then a third Bagon with a different stamp will be released during the Gen Con... it seems cool... but it is not a new promo though :\​

2. NoTime4LoveDrJ

NoTime4LoveDrJ New Member

Wow, do Nintendo's promos suck. Nothing but alternate art, or in this case, a little logo. Disappointing.

3. TheRealWobbuffet

TheRealWobbuffet New Member

Kyogre ex, Groudon ex, Meowth and Pikachu aren't alternate art. Sure, the others are, but those are grouped together (meaning, there's not just a Treecko remake, there's a Grovyle remake too) which brings up the numbers.

Hopefully Nintendo will release more of the McDonald's promos as promos here.

4. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

If I can remember right, WotC had some changed art ones too. Anyone remember Dark Persian? How about Mewtwo?

5. NoTime4LoveDrJ

NoTime4LoveDrJ New Member

I wasn't being literal. But most of their promos are alternate art.

And yeah, Wizards had what, two of those? Even when those were out, the company had at least twenty promos. Two out of twenty as opposed to seven out of however many Nintendo has out. (I think maybe twelve?)

There's a huge difference there.

6. OMGyrachu

OMGyrachu New Member

well almost all of wizards are too horrible to be played anyways. birthday pikachu was so bad wizards just banned it =)

7. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Um no _______'s Pikachu was too good they had to ban it (it gave an unfair advantage to whomever birthday it was).

And remember with the exception of 1 card, all promo cards have been released in Japan first (and the 1 card had different art but the same attack as the Japanese card). Or was that 2 cards.....

8. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

There were several WOTC reprint promos. it was only 2 outta the first 20 Black Star promos, but dont forget the WD stamped, and pre-release they did. They also reprinted Pokecenter, Lucky Stadium, Suicune, and some of the Best promos. Yes Nintendo's ratio seems high on reprinted, new art work promos, but give them time. There are plenty of Promo's we will hopefully get. Regi EX's, Other EX's and non EX's, the rest of the 7-11 promos. Hopefully we will get all or most of these....

9. Red5bv06

Red5bv06 <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Is this similar to the "W" stamped cards of the Wizards of the Coast days?
    Scyre and Inquest are certainly getting publicity over this . . . WHAT happened to NP? Come on guys.
    Oh well, I'll just have to shell out 15 or so more bucks for these 2 magazines.

10. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

So many multiple versions of the same promo...
    Man, plays havok with the binder....

11. Broken Lizard

Broken Lizard New Member

If Nintendo really wants to use promos to rekindle excitement in the game, then the promos must be new, and not simply alternate art. I am literally losing league attendance over it.

I have had kids say to each other "I'm not gonna come to league until they put out a new promo. Call me if they do."

Alternate art promos are fine as 'extras' once in a while, but not as a substitute for something new.

12. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Got to agree with BrokenLizard.. New art is nice but not of primary interest to players.

The Wotc promos almost always offered PLAYERS something new. Even if very few of them were tournament worthy cards they still appealed to players as much as collectors.

League is primarily about PLAY.

13. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

Okay, I would never want someone at my league like that. "I won't come until they release a new promo"? Ah, well don't come back. I mean, I remember a time where my league couldn't get any promos for about a half a year. We all stayed and played with the new sets. Ah, whatever, not my problem.

14. Hey,

I can't see the cards....any other links where I can find the cards???

15. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Well, if the intent of League is to weed out those that can't go through adversity, then fine. I thought the goal of League was to provide a welcoming envoirnment for players of the Pokemon TCG and to keep the playing and collecting base active and interested in the game so that they kept playing, collecting, and (last but not least) buying cards.

Anything that turns off a large segment of committed customers is something to pay attention to and for PUI to avoid.
    If players can be made happier by getting unique cards as promos rather than a plethora of reprints of recently released cards, then it would be in PUI's best interest to pay atttention to that fact.

On a side note: I don't think it's right to lump the magazine promos in with the league promos.
    If you look back, most of WotC's "alternate art" and "gold stamp" were magazine promos. All of the "Gold W" cards were released in Duelist/Top Deck except for Dark Char (which was planned for Top Deck but missed the production deadline) and Dark Arbok (only officially released in Asia).
    14 (Mewtwo) was an alternate art version of 3, but it made sense since 3 was released with the first Movie and 14 was the video for that movie.
    17 (Dark Persian) was the first Black Star that was an alternate version of a US released card and that was distributed in NP magazine.
    19 & 20 were alternate are promos that were released in League (or was 19 (S's Abra released in NP, too?). After that, you have to jump all the way to 40 & 41 (PC & LS) to find reprint promos, and again, those make sense for what they are; commemorating the opeing of the NY Pokemon Center.

I would have to say that WotC had the model right in their promo selections: Lots of new, interesting cards with the occasional tourney worthy card added in.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2003
  16. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Ok, to me the promos that Nintendo has released so far make a little sense. They brought out alternates for the 3 starters. This Bagon is to advertise the new Dragons set, like all the W stamped where in the past (excluding Arbok, it was an STS promo). Now I dont completely agree that the only promos available in league are the same cards we already have. I would have preffered having 1 or both each season along with a new Promo. There are so many promo cards out in Japan (just from RuSa and up) that there is no reason why they cant reproduce here.

S Abra was released through Nintendo Power, not league. Was Brocks Vulpix a magizine ptomo? The WotC store here handed out these cards at Halloween one year. They where so common around here, I still have a stack of near 100. Anyways... I hope Nintendo hurrys and releases newer Promos, especially some of the EX. I want to see what the Regi EX's do, and Armoldo EX.

Arent we getting a Latio and or Latias Promos soon? I know I have seen english versions of the same from the Japanese movie theme deck? What is supposed to be the next league promo after Treeko/Grovyle? does anyone know yet?

17. GOROY

GOROY New Member

Are the Bagons more numbered promos, or are they the same cards from the Dragon set with a stamp?

18. Marcello-Milord

Marcello-Milord New Member

It seems there it'll be the Dragon card, only with a stamp.

19. Broken Lizard

Broken Lizard New Member

Prime: These are not bad kids. The problem is that they are making sacrifices in other areas just to get to league. They are juggling things like homework, sports, and for the older kids, jobs. They are making deals with reluctant parents who don't relish a long drive to and from league.

In the past, for some of the kids, the possibility of earning a new card that they couldn't get from a pack made the difference. It made it even more worthwhile to give something else up.

Some kids are more enthusiastic than others. Anything that gets more kids playing is good for the game.

I myself am not a collector. I buy cards in order to play with them. I literally just got home from buying 3 boxes of Dragon. Would I have forked over all that cash if the set offered nothing new, but only reprints? The answer is no (unless I was buying it to run a sealed tournament!).

If league offers nothing new, then isn't it reasonable for a kid to decide to schedule an extra work shift and play on apprentice at home in her off-time? That same kid might well give up that shift for the chance at something 'new and cool'.

20. pokeprofRaymond

pokeprofRaymond New Member

I hope anyone in PUI/ MT Jimmer can see/"hear" this. We have to start the season here with the 3 starter which are already acceptable for us and....for the comeback players. But still new promos can bring a lot of excitement to the league which I hope from season 4 upwards :) .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.