Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New Modified Format coming soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davechri

With the release of Team Aqua/Team Magma, there will be SEVEN sets in the current modified format.

The only time there have been more legal sets was GENCON (the 4 Neo sets, LC, Expedition, Aquapolis, and Skyridge) and it's likely that there was no format change prior to that simply because of the transition from Wizards to Nintendo.

With the release of the 4th Nintendo set, I have to think that Nintendo would be seriously considering dropping the Wizards sets (Expedition, Aquapolis, and Skyridge) from Modified format (not only from a card sales perspective, but also because Nintendo will be able to rule on all Modified-legal cards without concern about "legacy rulings" from Wizards).

Has there been any talk of a format change from Nintendo?

dc

Edit: Oops, the energy were listed in the set's scans on Pokeschool, not the text spoilers. That's what I get for thinking too much. :lol:

Last edited:
Basic energy has been released in Base, Gym Heroes, Gym Challenge, Neo Genesis, and Expedition.

You may have a point Darkash. We'll see soon enough!

Last edited:
Don't forget how BIG the three WOTC sets were compared to the much smaller Nintendo sets. I think it would be a mistake to change the Modified format before Worlds. After that, and maybe a couple more "smaller" Nintendo sets, Modified could be "modified."

I think the plan should be to change the Modified format at Worlds... add a spark of competition there. That or once States and Nationals is out of the way (or other potential Worlds qualifiers?)
-Phil

Drop them all Now!!! Just like what Wizards did before Worlds where they eliminated all the Cards other then Neo & Up. Players who won with decks at there Regionals were now left with illegal decks and had about a month to play test something new or Copy others. In case you can't tell im being sarcastic but I won't be shocked if something like this were to take place. Speaking as one who had this exact experience happen, it is not pretty. We had a deck that probably went about 100-5 over it's playing days and swept right through the tourney. Low and behold we win with the deck only to have about 16 of the cards become unplayable in Seattle, not a pretty sight. So now what happens with Nintendo? Well
your nice Bar deck that hepled you go undefeated and win a CC, gone for the most part although cards could fill in but not the same. Amphy/Amphy ex & Kingdra/Kingdra Ex combos, gone. Trainers will be literally zip. Say goodbye to seer, POR, Prof.Elm, Oracle, Nurse, Shaman, Juggler and many others. Will this happen? Don't know. Should it happen? Well if so do it now so enough time is given to put together a deck worth playing at national or Worlds and one that does not have to be put together at the last minute.

Think about this. If I'm not mistaken, then the switch was made from Rocket-On to Neo-on Modified, Neo-on consisted of 5 sets. When the switch was made from Neo-on Modified to E-on, again if I'm not mistaken, there were again 5 sets in E-on (the three E-sets and the first 2 EX-sets). Therefore, if the pattern continues, the switch to EX-on should come when there will be 5 sets in the new Modified. In this case, that would be Ruby & Sapphire, Sandstorm, Team Magma vs. Team Aqua, and whatever the next two sets are.

Lugias_Realm said:
Will this happen? Don't know. Should it happen? Well if so do it now so enough time is given to put together a deck worth playing at national or Worlds and one that does not have to be put together at the last minute.

I've seen players pick up the game again in one night and play well in a Modified Tournament the next day. It's quite possible and it's an interesting challenge to place on competitors at Worlds. It really shows how much a player knows what could be tier one in the new Modified format and what other cards can tech against those tier one decks. Forget the metagame and forget cookie-cutter decks... all this comes down to is tight competition and experience.
-Phil

If they were to do this, I only ask them for one thing, and it's probably the one thing that most of us have been asking for since the switch to Eon...

Reprint sets, preferribly reprint of blocks (say, a Neo block reprint, called LCII) to at least try and keep the game somewhat constant as MTG has been doing for a long time now...

and I'm guessing that this will fall onto deaf ears and blind eyes...

I hope that they make the change soon to get some new options and force everybody to try something new.

It is true that BAR loses Ampharos, but the we also lose Ditto and Crystal Shard which should make all the Dragons more playable. Getting rid of Boost energy should also put a damper on the Gardevior deck.

The trainer choices will become a bit limited, but I think we will be OK. I would be nice with a couple of reprints, but that is unlikely to happen.

Considering I don't like small card pools, I'd like it if they'd wait just at least another set after this. Even though the Pokemon are reasonable for decks now, the Trainers still are not really up to what is necessary. I'd say to wait until summer sometime, but we have yet to see where Nintendo's self-interest limit is. By choosing E-on, it showed that it's not ridiculously high, but we just have to hope they're not too obsessed with only pushing their sets. Making a good Modified would keep/get players, which would buy more cards in turn, giving them a nice profit anyway.
*Chalk up another vote for wait a bit before the change*

(Edit: Also, the other Modified formats ran for 2 years and 1 year respectively. This current one has only been in effect for 6 months, give or take. We dealt with the other Modifieds for that length, and nobody was really complaining then. It was accepted, and nothing was really too bad. Now, for some reason, a number of people are creating a problem that doesn't exist...)

Last edited:
I think dkates may have it right (although you forgot Dragons, so it would be only 1 more set after TA/TM).

And if we're talking about just 1 more set, then this definitely falls in line with events in the Summer. If 3 months is the time frame, then a new set should probably be released right before Origins. And that certainly plays well with (a) Nationals and (b) draft events at Origins.

Assuming another release 3 months later, that would be early September. A pre-release at GENCON (in late August) wouldn't be unheard of either.

Last edited:
Sure, why not lol! But now that BAR has lost a big part of it, now what will stand up to gardevior? I'd hate to see the metagame dominated by one deck.

Prime said:
But now that BAR has lost a big part of it, now what will stand up to gardevior? I'd hate to see the metagame dominated by one deck.

Gardevoir loses significant power without Boost energy, it takes a lot of speed away. We may also see more grass decks if Blaziken becomes less popular.

I have actually thought about the current archetypes and how they will be affected if the wotc block was dropped. Blaziken actually appears to be the least affected. Many people play Blaziken/Rayquaza with no Ampharos. They just use 4 Switch. Some people including me believe it can be a bit more consistant needing just Switches to recharge than a stage 2 built. That arguement is for another time though. Let's just assume this form of Blazquaza is just as good. What will it lose? Just Oracle but it will still have the best draw w/Delcatty. You still have Blaze, Ray, Delcatty, TV Reporter, Rare Candy and Crystal Shard and Ditto are gone. Did I mention Blaziken ex? What will happen is everyone will have to play Blaziken/Rayquaza. No more Ninetales or Exeggutor. Everything else is affected more but the 2nd least affected appears to be Gardevoir. All it loses is Boost but it will gain Double-Rainbow. It won't be quite as good but you can attach DRE to a benched non-basic non-ex and its atleast a double plus power for Gard ex attack. The loss of Boost still hurts. Amphy ex loses Amphy exp and Pokemon Nurse. This makes Amphy ex a lot more vulnerable and much harder to counter Wobuffet. You can still use Wobuffet but you can no longer power it quickly. Aggron ex loses Furret and Boost for Wailord. Aggron ex will lose tons of consistancy w/out Furret and the only other card that I can see making up for Furret is Oracle which will also be rotated out. It will be much harder to find Metals. Kingdra ex loses Kingdra aq and Pokemon Nurse. You lose all the flexibility of teching in Wobs or Meditites in 1 turn with Kingdra aq. Sceptile will lose some of its favorite techs like Suicune, Moltres, Sudowoodo and Ditto though it will change face with Sceptile ex. Other losses include Venusaur, Victreebel, and Scizor These are most of the top decks that can compete right now and all appear to lose huge parts of their game except Blazequaza and second fewest Gardevoir. Before you go "oh great, Blaziken and Gardevoir become more dominant." remember there will always be new things coming out. I just wanted to give you how I have been thinking the CURRENT decks will be affected if the switch were made now. Things like Flygon and Salamence don't look to be hurt but they aren't dominating right now anyways. Other changes are no POR which will hurt everything pretty equally, Oracle is used by many and may hurt delcatty decks a little more. No PETM which will make everyone go to *shutters* Wally's Training. Town Volunteers is gone but it is only so game changing. Copycat has been mostly replaced anyways. No Warp Point so you need to play Switch. I suppose that could help Muk ex against Blaziken. Crystal Shard and ditto's departures may strengthen Blaziken. Of course this could all change with every new set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back