Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New Rules

Adv1sor

Q. Team Aqua’s Sealeo (Aqua Trance): It says "At the end of your opponent’s next turn, the Defending Pokémon is now Asleep." If I retreat the Pokémon that Team Aqua’s Sealeo attacked, does it make the new Defending Pokémon Asleep?

A. No. The effect is tied to the Pokémon that Team Aqua’s Sealeo attacked. (Team Magma vs Team Aqua Prerelease FAQ, Q1)

I'm sure that this doesn't mean that you could retreat a sleeping pokemon, right?

Q. Does "Team Aqua Belt" work if attached on the first turn of the game, before the second player's first turn?

A. Yes, it works then. You don't evolve on your first turn - it's between turns. (Mar 4, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

This is a big change. You may not have an evolved pokemon on your first turn but your opponent may be facing an evolved pokemon on his or her first attack.

Sounds like fun :)

My sincere thanks to Team Compendium for getting these rules up prior to this weekend's prereleases!

Last edited:
Yes, these rulings will help, but what about Aqua's Manectric, and possibly Magma's Claydol, do we know if the second pokemon getting the energy has to be an aqua/magma pokemon?

Last edited:
1). No, the sealeo states that on the next turn, the defending pokemon will be asleep. (fakecard.com)
2). Some trainer card allows you to play stage 1s/stage 2s as basic pokemon, at least the TA/TM ones. i forgot what it was though. probably more devastating.

Aqua Trance doesn't put the Defending Pokemon to sleep until after that Pokemon's next turn. In other words, not until just before your next turn. That gives you a 50/50 chance of it failing the sleep check and still being asleep for your next attack (which will get a bonus if the defending Pokemon is Asleep!). However, it also gives them time to retreat or Switch out.

As for rulings on other cards, we only got to ask about cards from the FAQ.

So would a 'Full Heal' card remove the pending sleep effect or would the pokemon still fall asleep after the end of the opponents turn.

In detail..

1) You attack me with AQUA TRANCE.
2) My turn but I'm not asleep yet...
3) I play Full Heal
4) My turn ends

So have I managed to clear the pending sleep effect?

don't think so, FH only gets rid of status that is on the Pokemon at the time it is played.

Darn, we shoulda thought to ask that one, though.
I'd say no, for the reason bullados gives.

I agree with Bullados too PokePop :)

a further wrinkle..

1) I am already asleep
2) I am attacked by AQUA TRANCE and now its my turn...
3) In between turns I flip tails so I start my turn asleep.
4) I end my turn asleep :(

The effect from AQUA TRANCE resolves. So do I have to flip twice to wake up or just the once?

[oops think I may have already given away my thoughts in how I've set out the sequence ]

I don't think so NoPoke. Generally, unless the card says otherwise like Dark Gengar, you can't be double asleep or double poisoned, etc. Just flip once.

Yeah, that's just a replacement Special Condition, like Poisoning something that is already Poisoned.
But, worth getting a ruling on for the book.

I had in mind that the TRANCE effect resolves immediately my turn ends so I'm asleep. The fact that I was already asleep has no effect. In between turn stuff like flipping to wake up happens after all effects that are waiting have resolved.

In other words the AQUA TRANCE effect does not wait to put me back to sleep if I flip heads and wake up.

Yeah, you flip after the Trance puts you to sleep, so you don't lose your chance to wake up.

Back