Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New To Pokegym... My first question

Stru

As a new Pokebroke father, less that two months in game, I have found this wonderful resource on the web. Thanks to everyone who participates in this community.

My son and I have gone from packaged decks, to his favorite Charizard deck. Deck two is his self built water deck. While I am currently experimenting with Skittles. We joined a local league where a young man a third my age, has caused me to invest copious amounts of scrounged money and sleepless nights into beating his Mag deck. Last night saw dad go 3 and 2, the 2 loses to Mag.

I am curious if anyone knows of a virtual PTCG program. Something I can run on the PC to test decks, or play against other folks. Most of my free time is late at night, and as such difficult to deck test. Oh coupled with actually acquiring all the uber cards in a Mag deck to play against.

Any words of wisdom for a Pokebroke Dad would be appreciated. Heading to our first big event on April 12th in Houston.

Stru

There are simulators like Apprentice and other programs.
You can even battle other people but you are gonna need to contact someone
who has the same simulator as you.

There are 2 free progrems.
1 is Apprentice, which is widely found. You'd have to look it up though, I don't know the direct link.
2 is Redshark, but I believe downloading that is on hold with the Pokebeach problems.
Both require you to contact people through PM's, I don't know off the top of my head for Pokegym but I figure there IS a section for online play SOMEWHERE.

Welcome to the community, and the joy of trying to beat decks....

The addiction is wonderful...and once you beat the deck, the player will counter you, and you will see just how far you can go down the rabbit hole.

Follow the White Rabbit.

Vince

As a new Pokebroke father, less that two months in game, I have found this wonderful resource on the web. Thanks to everyone who participates in this community.

My son and I have gone from packaged decks, to his favorite Charizard deck. Deck two is his self built water deck. While I am currently experimenting with Skittles. We joined a local league where a young man a third my age, has caused me to invest copious amounts of scrounged money and sleepless nights into beating his Mag deck. Last night saw dad go 3 and 2, the 2 loses to Mag.

I am curious if anyone knows of a virtual PTCG program. Something I can run on the PC to test decks, or play against other folks. Most of my free time is late at night, and as such difficult to deck test. Oh coupled with actually acquiring all the uber cards in a Mag deck to play against.

Any words of wisdom for a Pokebroke Dad would be appreciated. Heading to our first big event on April 12th in Houston.

Stru

Hi.. and welcome to Pokemon!

April 12th in Houston is going to be a blast! Are you from the Houston area? 'Cause it sure sounds like you're talking about the Cypress League! LOL.

Well, we'll see you in Houston on the 12th... and if you feel like it, visit The Woodlands Leagues for more opportunities to practice and test out your decks before the big day! Both leagues will be raffling off some prizes this week! Nothing big, but the kids love it when we do it!

Last edited:

Stru

Hello, this is Jeff again from league.

I use a program call apprentice. Apprentice does not have the best graphics but is easy to learn how to use and a great way to test decks. There are other programs as well, such as redshark, but here is how to use apprentice.

http://www.shawofmordor.com/Apprentice.zip

That is a link to one of Pokegym's member's homepage, specifically the download for the Apprentice Program.
You will need to download it and do a bit of extracting files and unzipping.

Next you need the newest patch located here
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67194&highlight=apprentice

Once you have completley installed Apprentice, you need to download hamachi
https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en

Hamachi will allow you to connect with other poeple over the internet without losing computer security.

After that you can collect the Hamachi IPs of different people and battle them in the Apprentice program.

Unfortuently there is no way to battle someone on the same computer as you, the closest thing to that is to use 2 different computers in the same household.

If however the above is what you wish to do via testing with your son, then you can simply make "proxy" or fake cards. Copy a real version or print off one from the coputer and put it in a sleeve with another card. Of course you cannot use this in a tournament, but it is great for testing deck ideas in real life before trading for cards.

Now both of the above comments require another live person to be effective. If you want a way to test a deck by yourself, then you could do what I do when I am testing by myself which is set up two decks and play then both against each other, but I play with the effort that I want to win using either deck. This of course affects the "secret hand and strategey" factor, but will allow you to do some general testing on the deck.

The other idea is to select the solitare game mode on the apprentice program, in which you can play a game against absolutley no one, then have a real deck being played by someone else. You play against that person with the computer deck and the real deck.This will let you test your deck (or someone else's) and still have the computer program to make another deck.

I hope these ideas helped.

~Jeff~

Redshark is a great and more Poke-user friendly. Too bad there is no pokebeach up right now.
Apprentice was made orginally for MtG so if you know their terms you can get used to it quickly.
You can also look around gym for networks from other members to connect to each other (I do not have one yet SO DONT ASK ME)

BTW they should do the game this way (even though they will lose money) for the fairness for the people that budget that dont have the money for cards

Yep Redshark or Apprentice is the way to go, even though I don't use it myself, its pretty good. And if you need help getting some cards for for Mag, check out the Trading Post, your sure to find some cards there that you need. Oh, and welcome to the gym'!:thumb:

Thank you all for the direction. Seeing the term"simulator" helps on the google and forum searches. And to whomever moved my post, thanky. Will give both of these a try. Redshark, as many have posted, is still down. To Azure, I am trying to beat that blasted Mag deck. Rogue...

Back