Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Non-Professor wins Professor Cup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absoltrainer

http://www.sixprizes.com/tournament...ixprizes+(SixPrizes.com)&utm_content=FaceBook

Ninja win!

For those too lazy to click the link:
Aydan Aires said:
What’s This? An Average Kid Snuck into the Professor Cup… And Won?!
Written by Aydan Aires | August 2, 2011 | 2 comments | 85 views | Rating: +1
I’ll be the first to admit it. I’m a fraud. What started out as something to pass the time ended up being something FAR more serious. I won the North America 2011 Professor Cup Championship. And I’m NOT a Professor.

To get into the Prof. Cup, you had to BE a Professor and rack up points by running a league or judging events. It’s a competition to award the hard-working men and women who make this game possible; and I soiled its good name.

So, why am I saying this now? Why can’t I stay quiet and pretend I was always a Professor? Well, here’s some reasons:

It’s a winning National tournament report and I think it’ll be interesting.
I feel guilty winning expensive prizes when I shouldn’t have.
I’m taking a 4 year break from Pokemon since I’m depressed from what I did. (Actually, it’s college. )
I think it’s pretty cool I ended up winning.
And most importantly, it’s been a while since I’ve written an article.
The Professor Cup

How I Cleverly Got In Registration

It was Sunday, the day everyone leaves from Nationals. It was also my dad’s birthday. However, we weren’t leaving early. My ride and buddy, Zach, was in the Professor Cup. I had helped him with his Blastoise/Floatzel water deck for the Cup so I knew the basic rules.

Zach and I talked about me attempting to enter the Prof. Cup. Why not? I had nothing else to do while I waited. JP, my friend/mentor who was with us, wanted to use my Yanmega Vileplume Deck.
He told me that if I managed to get in, then I’d use his deck. JP did awesome at Nationals with his deck! He was playing Reshiram/Typhlosion or “Reshiphlosion” and made top cut!
Anyways, I went up to registration and wrote my name down. I told the registers that I was new to all of this and held my own league (which I do!). They said they would look into the matter to make sure I was a judge. I thanked them knowing that if I was unable to play then it wouldn’t be a big deal to me.
We all joked what would happened if I would eventually win the Professor Cup… haha…
When pairings went up, my name was on the list and Aydan Aires was ready to wreak havoc in the Professor Cup!
The Coin I Earned

• 22 Black and White Pokemon Packs – I ended up selling all of these for $30
  • Amazon Kindle – My Dad has it to this day but we’re probably selling it for Laptop money.
  • A Professor Backpack – I gave this to Zach who, in return, paid for my gas and hotel costs.
  • A NICE Trophy – It’s being sold on eBay. I know this might get flamed.
  • An Invitation to Worlds 2011! – I’m kidding.
Final Revelation

Hands down, don’t do what I did. I’m sure there’s going to be some sort of consequence for my actions and I’ll accept it. I don’t expect anybody to honor me for what I did but I felt like it should’ve been said.
Now, it might be low that I’m selling the trophy, but my family is having some money issues right now. Kent State University is very expensive. So, I’ve been selling all of my Pokemon merchandise so I can pay for my food plan and get a laptop.
I’m going to be on hiatus status for the next 4 years. I’ll probably be at every Nationals, but I’ll just borrow a deck from some of my good friends.
That being said, I’ll probably still be active in the Pokemon community doing research for my friends for future tournaments.
All in all, this was my first Nationals and I loved it. I can’t wait to see all fo you next year. And until then, See ya!
Ohhhhh, wait a sec. Who wants to buy the trophy? It’s very nice and one of a kind. Here’s the link: [removed]
Congratulate me or diss me. I’ll take all comments to heart. :)
Aydan Aires

SEE THE SIX PRIZES' LINK IN THE BEGINNING OF THIS POST FOR FULL ARTICLE

Last edited:
what :nonono: :nonono:thats funny and sucks at the same time because the professors who work hard all year and get to play in one tournement and no one got to win:nonono:

The real question is . . .

Did he practice manipulating Chansey coin flips before the tournament?

enjoy your...and your buddies'...probable lifetime ban from organized play dude, hope it was worth it =/

thanks so much for screwing things up for the real professors =/ wanna bet it'll be even harder to get into the cup next year, assuming there even IS one? =/ =/

'mom :mad: :mad: :mad:

Something like this takes a lot of class. This article really got my blood boiling. Especially the fact that it's coming from my state, and one of the names dropped is someone I know really well. For some of us, the Professor Cup is the one chance we have to play in a real event each year. I judge heavily, and hardly get to play in events, including Nationals.

I really hope something is done about this. Professors work so hard to hold that title, and to have someone strip it away like that and taint what Professors are supposed to stand by? That's not SOTG at all.

Is this why the guy was trying to sell the trophy on another forum? I'm not the only one who has seen it I'm sure.

Last edited:
So, those that work the hardest all year don't get to play because we are giving to the game, and those who are not even in the program win it.

I look up at the 2 cups I have won - and frankly miss playing in that event.

Don't get me wrong, still love judging on the big stage, but miss the comraderie of the Professor Cup.

But, then again, I would require 150 points or league leader for one-half of one year to play. You should really have to earn your entry (or just don't get caught).

Integrity of the game. A lot of people knew the non-professor was in the cup, and let him do it. Punishments should reflect the crime, especially in THIS event.

Vince

Lifetime ban? I don't think that's sufficient. And what makes you think that you have the right to sell that trophy that's clearly not yours? Shame, shame... your momma must be very proud:nonono:

Ban for life everyone that knew about it at the time. And sue the guy for the value of all the prizes he won.

Last edited:
So, those that work the hardest all year don't get to play because we are giving to the game, and those who are not even in the program win it.

I look up at the 2 cups I have won - and frankly miss playing in that event.

Don't get me wrong, still love judging on the big stage, but miss the comraderie of the Professor Cup.

But, then again, I would require 150 points or league leader for one-half of one year to play. You should really have to earn your entry (or just don't get caught).

Integrity of the game. A lot of people knew the non-professor was in the cup, and let him do it. Punishments should reflect the crime, especially in THIS event.

Vince

I don't know if I would begin to agree with the 150 points... we have to work hard in the upper midwest to earn those points. If 150 points were required to play, none of us would be participating because there are SO many judges up here that the events you do get to judge are spread out. I normally judge Regionals (with this year as an exception), I head judge States, I judge multiple Prereleases, Battle Roads, and Cities, and it is still a struggle to get to the 80 points a judge needs to play.

Regardless, this is quite ridiculous and makes me happy that I dropped from the Prof. Cup this year after I played against a whiny opponent who rules lawyered like a boss and then proceeded to say, "What? I'm just trying to make top cut!!!" Way to ruin the spirit of the game, and I dropped to ruin your opponent win percentage.

The Professor Cup is supposed to be fun for Professors (even if it wasn't fun for me this year).

What? Other people knew of this and let it go on?? They're every bit as guilty. Shame on them too. they should be stripped as well. That's not behavior befitting of a Professor at all.

They already said ban for life, and he's actually pretty smart to be able to not get caught although i'm not saying it was right.

He did really do anything that smart, he just wasn't checked out enough. He was half expecting they wouldn't let him in. I guess they won't be taking people on trust any more, which is probably the saddest thing about the whole business.

I'm not calling for him to be lynched. I'm sure P!P will deal with it in an appropriate way.

^ He did really do anything that smart, he just wasn't checkedout enough. He was half expecting they wouldn't let him in. I guess they won't be taking people on trust any more.

I'm not calling for him to be lynched. I'm sure P!P will deal with it in an appropriate way.

/thread

you're right I actually spoke a bit too soon but still. I mean it was his fault, but part of the blame should be on the staff organizers of the event. This is every bit their fault as well.

This raises the question of how many non-professors entered the event in the past but never did anything so unexpected like winning first place.

What ever happened to checking out the allowed names on the list?

Simply ridiculous.

And everyone wonders why things get cut.

I mean it was his fault, but part of the blame should be on the staff organizers of the event. This is every bit their fault as well.
riiiiiiiiight, blame the event staff for dude's bogus entry into the cup....figured that was going to happen sometime in the thread...=/ =/ =/ read his post, he talked his way in saying he was a LL, and got the benefit of the doubt. guess THAT won't be happening ever again either...

WRONG. dude made his own decision to try and get in though he didn't qualify. next are you going to blame stores for shoplifters, since they have all teh shiniez on display? =/ =/ blame the victim much?

'mom

Last edited:
I'd really appreciate if the OP (Absoltrainer) or a mod could edit the copy and pasted article out from the first post. I'm ok with snippets of it being reposted, but I'd rather the entire article not be copied and pasted here as it's unique content on 6p. Thanks.

riiiiiiiiight, blame the event staff for this tool's bogus entry into the cup....figured that was going to happen sometime in the thread...=/ =/ =/

WRONG. dude made his own decision to try and get in though he didn't qualify. next are you going to blame stores for shoplifters, since they have all teh shiniez on display? =/ =/

'mom

I don't think calling him names will solve anything, SD PokeMom. I am just trying to say that although it was Aydan's decision to enter the event, whose decision was it to stop him? Wait, before you answer that, let me ask you another question. Whose responsibility was it to stop him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back