Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Official scores for group 1!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegeta ss4

Iron Chef Leader
Good job at making it this far, now. This scoring was difficult, and in fact there are 3 scores still up for grabs. I am trying to figure out exactly which is the best entry of the round. You will see which matchup I am quite unsure about, and will allow viewer and player a chance to speak about the matchup. That will be the tie-breaker. Also, lets not play favoritism, lets put all bias to the side and actually score the deck. Group 2 is allowed to talk about who the winner is within Group 1. Unofficial score will be noted.

I will be updating each score as I go along. it may be an hour before all of the scores are shown for each group. Just keep tuned!

Well, here are the scores for now.

(1)DragonClyne725 vs (16)Rambo
This round was a real challenge, but it was a lot of fun! I had to laugh, though, as last Iron Chef I had to build a Machamp deck.

The two Machamps I saw as playable in DX-on were Machamp SF and Machamp Prime. I saw Machamp SF as more of a meta counter card, so I decided to run with Machamp Prime. Here's the deck:

Deck Name: Harvest Buster

~17 Pokemon~
4-2-3-1 Machamp (DP-TM-PRIME-LV.X)
4 Landorus (NV)
1-1 Claydol (GE)
1 Azelf (LA)

~11 Supporters
4 Sage's Training
4 PONT
3 Pokemon Collector

~20 Trainers~
3 Pokemon Communication
2 Heavy Ball
1 Luxury Ball
4 Rare Candy
3 Max Potion
2 Warp Point
2 Expert Belt
2 Night Maintenance
1 Computer Search (ACE-SPEC)

~12 Energy~
12 Fighting

The Deck
The strategy of the deck is to use Landorus to quickly power-up a Machamp Prime while also putting damage on your bench. Then, use Machamp to steamroll. When Machamp takes damage, a fresh Machamp can Fighting Tag in, while the now benched Machamp can be Max Potioned. Landorus can also be used late game to recover energy and quickly charge up a new Machamp.

Landorus NV
Your ideal starter. T1, attach an energy and Abundant Harvest to get a Fighting Energy from your discard onto Landy. T2, attach another energy and Gaia Hammer for 80, also dealing 10 to each Benched Pokemon. T3, be able to Fighting Tag in a Machamp Prime and Champ Buster, or even Fighting Tag in T2 to use Crushing Punch. Late game, if a Machamp is KO'd, you can bring Landorus active, and with a Fighting Energy, you can recover energy. Unless it's OHKO'd, you can then Fighting Tag in a new Machamp.

Machamp Prime
Your main attacker. With 150 hp, this guy's not going down too easily. Crushing Punch is a decent attack, as discarding Special Energy is always handy. His second attack, Champ Buster, can be powerful especially when you have Landorus Gaia Hammering T2. But what really makes this card is its PokePower, Fighting Tag. With Fighting Tag, you can Rare Candy T2, and with a Landorus having used Abundant Harvest T1, you can potentially Fighting Tag it active and get a T2 Crushing Punch. Then, once your active Machamp has taken some damage, you can Fighting Tag in a fresh Machamp from your bench. Because the energy is moved to the fresh Machamp, Max Potion can be used on the now Benched Machamp, which can then Fighting Tag in next turn. Three retreat usually is bad, but most of the time you will be Fighting Tagging Machamp around and won't need to retreat. Conveniently, Machamp Prime is also searchable with Heavy Ball.

Machamp Lv.X
Too good not to play. No Guard allows Machamp is OHKO most things with Champ Buster and a damaged bench. Of course, it most likely will be OHKO'd back, so only useful as a last turn game ender. Also searchable with Heavy Ball. Plus, it's kind of neat going from having x2 Psychic Weakness to only having +40

Machoke TM
I choose this Machoke mainly because of its Knuckle Down attack and high hp. Knuckle Down KO's Sweet Sleeping Face babies and is just nice consistent damage without needing a flip.

Machop DP
60 hp is standard for a Basic, 2 retreat is a bit steep, but 1 Fighting Energy for 20 damage is awesome. You can OHKO Tynamos and any other 40 hp Pokemon with Fighting Weakness.

Claydol GE
Cosmic Power is an amazing PokePower. Consistent draw power every turn without needing to play a Supporter? Yes please. With Machamp's Fighting Tag, it's not going to be dragged up with Catcher for stalling. The reason I only chose to run a 1-1 line of Claydol was because I never really needed more than that. With Communication and Sage running, not to mention having Azelf for a prized Claydol, it's not too hard to get it out. Plus, the deck is able to run without Claydol if you cannot get it out.

Baltoy GE
I prefer this Baltoy for its Psychic Balance attack, giving you a little draw support. Plus, you can either retreat him T2 for a Landorus, fueling Abundant Harvest, or just Fighting Tag to get him out of the active.

Azelf LA
Having a 1-1 line, it's handy to have Azelf available. Also, it's always helpful to know what is in your prizes.

Other Stuff

Sage's Training provides the deck with fast draw-power, and it gets Fighting Energy in the discard ASAP for Landorus. PONT is used because it's an amazing hand refresher, and Collector is for getting out Basics early on. After T1/2, Collector can be used as Sage bait.

Expert Belt is for funzies, Warp Point for disruption and emergency switching, two Night Maintenances for recovering Machamps and for recovering from poor Sage discards, and Max Potion for healing off a Machamp after Fighting Tagging. The rest of the trainers are self-explanatory.
DragonClyne - 7/10 3/5 3/5= 13/20
3 Machop DP
3 Machoke SF
2 Machamp SF
1 Machamp Prime
1 MAchamp Lv.X
2 Claydol GE
3 Baltoy GE
3 Sableye SF
1 Azelf LA

2 Scott
3 Pokemon Collector
2 Castaway
2 Colress
2 Skyla

4 Junk Arm
1 Gold Potion
2 Windstorm
1 Luxury Ball
2 Ultra Ball
1 Pokemon Communication
1 Night Maintenance
2 Cessation Crystal
2 Fluffy Berry
1 Expert Belt
3 Broken Time Space
3 Scramble Energy
7 Fighting Energy

It's hard to be imaginative with Machamp, as there has only really been a couple of useful Machamps in the sets provided, although they all provide a good coverage for the multiple metagames out there.

The deck is meant to have 2 separate focuses for different stages in the game, one for essentially Turn 1 or Turn 2, and another for the rest of the game. The first focus is to get the "Take out" machamp into play as soon as possible, with multiple outs to getting a Broken time space, as well as the necessary evolution lines turn 1 and at latest turn 2. The new introduction of Skyla and an old friend in Scott make getting a Turn 1 broken time space that much easier to come by, the luxury ball, ultra ball and pokemon communication also all aid this. The deck has a high Sableye count, although not as high as I'd like, to guarantee that turn 1 start which is so important in this metagame, and even gives you an increased opportunity to donk your opponent, or at least get a turn 1 40. The second stage of the game is revolved around Machamp Lv.X, which can be put onto Machamp SF or Machamp Prime, depending on your resources and hand available. The Pokemon's pokebody essentially turns machamp into an incredible powerhouse, but at the cost of all attacks doing more damage to yourself. This is where the cessation crystal & Windstorm combo comes into play. This combo essentially allows you to choose whether you want to do more damage or keep it at the cap it's left at. The pokebody further pairs well with Junk Arm, as you can get windstorms and Cessation crystals back depending on the situation, or my favourite pairing of Gold Potion and Junk Arm, which allows a continuous stream of healing 90 on a Pokemon that can deal out 100+ Damage for a single energy cost.

The deck is essentially designed for speed as previously mentioned, allowing the turn 1 KO to set early pressure, or even win, through the use of multiple Scott and Skyla for Broken time space, as well as search cards, but also provides itself with a later game strategy.

The Pokemon line is designed for speed, with the turn 1 machamp being put in mind. As mentioned already the Sableye is designed to make sure you go first, but also allows you to get the 2 supporters on the first turn incase things don't turn out too well, which they shouldn't. The Machamp line is focused on being more heavy on Machamp SF, which counters both the SP Format, the new ex format, and to a certain extent the old late ex format which saw cards like Mew and Absol see play. The Machamp Prime and Machamp Lv.X allows for more stability and reliability late game as I have already mentioned. Claydol I would have expected to be almost mandotory, especially in a speed deck like this, and compliments the Junk Arms and Ultra balls that the format provides. And lastly Azelf boosts the consistency and allows for that turn 1 Machamp to be that much more likely.

The supporter line may look random, but compliments this hugely as I chose to ignore the Juniper speed method, as it's too costly to discard any resources without good reason, and Colress compliments the format where high bench numbers are all too common. Pokemon Collector is shown at a high count not only to fill up your bench with much needed claydols and machops, but also to thin out the deck quicker, and for Pokemon communication bait. And last but not least, Castaway provides amazing support to the deck, as all its features supports multiple aspects of the deck, possibly the Energy being most important early game.

The trainer line is the part that I like the least about this deck, mainly because I wish I could include higher counts of each of the cards, but it proved impossible in building. Every single card has its purpose, and all the 1 off cards chosen are those that can be recycled with Junk Arm without too big a cost. The thing I wish I could increase the most however are the Fluffy berry and Cessation crystal counts, as they tend to be discarded a lot of the time, especially with opponent's windstorm in format as well.

And last but not least is the Energy line. Now this should be the most simple part of the process, but turned out to be the hardest to perfect, especially in terms of whether or not to use the Scramble energy. The logic behind the scramble energy is for when you are behin, and have a Machamp Lv.X out with a Machamp SF underneath. This allows you to pull out a Rage attack out of nowhere, after your opponent tries damaging it, like the extra damage done, dealing insane amounts of damage. This then allows you to use Machamp Primes ability to switch in and move all these energies, whilst you then start attacking that that, doing extra damage with its second attack, with a damage machamp lv.x on the bench. The single expert belt also encourages your opponent to take more prizes, which further lures them into the scramble energy trap. I originally included Holon Energy FF, but found that the resistance being taken away didn't help to the lack of consistency it brought to the deck, and that most things that resists Machamp that are a threat are basics, which Machamp can KO with ease.

Rambo - 8/10 4/5 3/5= 15/20
WINNER - Rambo

(8)Dark Shedinja vs (9)Hatter
Dark Shedinja - No Entry
4 Spiritomb (Arceus)
4 Seedot (Diamond and Pearl)
3 Nuzleaf (Rising Rivals)
4 ShiftryEX (Crystal Guardians)
3 Duskull (Secret Wonders)
2 Dusclops (Boundaries Crossed)
2 Dusknoir (Boundaries Crossed)
1 Dusknoir (Stormfront #1)
1 Azelf (Legends Awakened)

6 Basic Darkness (-)
4 Special Darkness (Emerald)

4 N (Dark Explorers)
4 Copycat (HeartGold & Soulsilver)
3 Bebe's Search (Secret Wonders)
3 Steven's Advice (Power Keepers)
3 Lanette's Net Search (Emerald)
3 Rare Candy (Holon Phantoms)
2 Scott (Emerald)
2 Moonlight Stadium (Great Encounters)
1 Escape Rope (Plasma Storm)
1 Holon Farmer (Delta Species)
1 Luxury Ball (Stormfront)

The Strategy is to use ShiftryEX (Crystal Guardians). Its Poke-Body spreads damage every damn your opponent uses a Poke-Power. The great advantage is that it stacks, so if you have three ShiftryEX in play and your opponent uses a Poke-Power, they take six damage counters! While that is great, it really gains some firepower when you pair it with Dusknoir (Boundaries Crossed). That allows you to move your opponents damage counters around in any way you like. That way you can leave their Pokemon that have Poke-Powers alive and knock out the ones that don’t… so if your opponent wants to continue using them… they will be punished for it. Dusknoir also compliments ShiftryEX’s first attack which does damage to an opponents Pokemon, but that damage is increased if they already have damage on them. The Dusknoir from Stormfront pairs in nicely because you put damage counters on an opponent’s Pokemon equal to the number of damage it already had. With this, you can get easier KO’s because the Pokemon will already be weakened via ShiftryEX’s Poke-Body and/or first attack. The Spiritomb (Arceus start was essential because you have multiple Stage 2’s you need to get out, and it will slow down your opponent via no Items.

There were multiple ways you could’ve gone with Shiftry: Shiftry (Rising Rivals)/Nuzleaf (Rising Rivals)/Meteor Falls (Deoxys), ShiftryEX (Crystal Guardians)/Bronzong (Majestic Dawn), Jirachi (Rising Rivals)/Seekers/Drifblim/Shiftry (Next Destinies), however, I felt that the combination with Dusknoir was the most effective way to get everything you can out of ShiftryEX in both a support and attacking role.
Hatter - 8/10 4/5 4/5= 16/20
WINNER - Hatter

(5)hampuse1 vs (12)SummerDaze
POKEMON: 24
3: Sceptile, GE-8
3: Venusaur, CG-28
3: Grovyle, SF-39
4: Ivysaur, SV-62
3: Treecko, SF-79
4: Bulbasaur, CG-46
4: Spiritomb, AR-32

TRAINERS: 23
3: Twins, TM-89
4: Pokémon Collector, HS-97
4: N, DEX-96
4: Celio's Network, CG-73
2: Mr. Briney's Compassion, OP2-8
4: Professor Oak's New Theory, HS-101
2: Broken Time-Space, PL-104

ENERGY: 13
2: Warp Energy, SF-95
3: Double Rainbow Energy, OP5-4
4: Boost Energy, OP5-8
4: Double Colorless Energy, HS-103

I choose to run the CG Venusaur because I believe that is the strongest of the Venusaur out there. The first attack does 20+10 for each grass energy on your side of the field and the body make all C energies into G.
I choose to run a really consistent deck with big lines of the main Pokémon and four copies of the starter: Spiritomb.

Pokémon
Spiritomb: A very good starter. Gets me set up fast and provides a trainer lock
Venusaur: The main attacker.
Sceptile: The body doubles all grass energies which is insane in combination with the body of Venusaur.

Trainers
Because I use Spiritomb as a starter I chose to run no trainers (items). I use a lot of supporters to make sure I have one each turn. Collector provides early search, Celio’s can search for any Pokémon, and twins can search for anything when your Spiritomb dies. PONT and N are basic shuffle and draw. Briney’s is there to pick up damaged Pokémon and put them right back down if BTS is in play.
BTS is there to get Pokémon out quicker

Energies
The most important part of the deck. Because Venusaur makes all C energies into G I don’t need to use any basic energy. Boost energy provides 6 grass energies, DCE provides 4, DRE provides “3” and warp energy is a switch and an energy in the same card.
hampuse1 - 8/10 4/5 4/5 = 16/20
4 Evee UF
4 Leafeon CL
4 Bulbasaur SW
1 Ivysaur SV
3 Venusaur SW
1 Venusaur SV
2 Ditto BCR

4 Juniper
4 PONT
3 Skyla
2 VS Seeker
3 Dual Ball
2 Communication
3 Rare Candy
4 Junk Arm
4 Hypnotoxic Laser
2 Switch
1 Holon Farmer
1 Energy Search

8 Grass Energy

The strategy of the deck is to inflict special conditions and then use Miasma Wind for quick, heavy damage. I've used Eevee UF to allow T1 evolution and attack. Hypnotoxic Laser and Venusaur SW allow me to inflict special conditions continuously, with the possibility of up to 3 special conditions a turn. I teched in a Venusaur SV to protect my pokemon from special conditions. VS Seeker was used for added consistency. I chose a Dual Ball/Communication search engine to free my T1 supporters for use in getting off the T1 attack. I also added Ditto BCR to give me a better chance of using Eevee/Leafeon T1, since the odds were a little too high that I would start Bulbasaur otherwise.
SummerDaze - 8/10 4/5 3/5 = 15/20
WINNER - hampuse1

(4)sKizor vs (13)Vablakes
Pokemon (18)
3 Tyranitar Prime
2 Tyranitar ex
3 Pupitar MT
4 Larvitar MT
2 Claydol GE
2 Baltoy SV
2 Holon's Electrode
Trainer (32)
4 PONT
4 Ultra Ball
4 Dark Patch
3 Collector
3 Rare Candy
3 Dark Claw
3 Broken Time Space
2 Colress
2 Warp Point
2 Skyla
1 Luxury Ball
1 Super Rod
Energy (10)
7 Darkness
2 DCE
1 Call Energy

Strategy: Swarm tyranitar and overwelm the opponent.

Tyarnitar Prime - The main attacker of this deck for a couple of very important reasons. 1: It can be up and spreading all non dark types for 20 damage as early as turn one setting up future KO's. 2: The attack "Power Claw" goes through any buffers. 3: Even with it's massive HP, it is only a one card prize for my opponent.

Tyranitar ex - The secondary option as an attacker. But I find where this tyranitar shines is its ability to be used as a utility piece. Discarding in play stadiums when I don't have a counter stadium. Removing special energy from my opponent's pokemon. Or simply hitting for high damage.

Pupitar MT - Out of all the available pupitars there are available to use, the pupitar from Mysterious Treasures is clearly the best option. Having free retreat and the best attacks if need be. Not to mention its -20 electric resistance, as well as having only a +20 weakness to grass.

Larvitar MT - Means to an end. Best weakness, resistance, and damage output.

Claydol GE - "Cosmic Power." Enough said.

Baltoy SV - Means for Claydol

Holon's Electrode - My energy requirement for Tyranitar ex, but can be used to bounce energy I need for other uses.
sKizor - 9/10 3/5 4/5 = 16/20
Pokémon- 13
3 Tyranitar Prime
4 Larvitar UL
3 Hydreigon DRX (Dark Trance)
3 Deino NVI

T/S/S-38
4 Ultra Ball
1 Luxury Ball
4 Junk Arm
4 Dark Patch
4 Rare Candy
4 Max Potion
2 Switch
1 Computer Search
4 Professor Juniper
4 N
4 PONT
2 Expert Belt

Energy-9
9 Basic Dark

Here is the strategy, card by card.

Tyranitar Prime
Tyranitar Prime is an all around great card. It one hit KOs a lot of things with Megaton Tail, and what it doesn't One hit KO with Megaton Tail, it can finish off with Power Claw or Darkness Howl. The 3 card discard is OK, it can discard Dark Energy for Dark Patch, and once this deck sets up, it shouldn't need much of anything other than Max Potion, so it usually doesn't care what it discards.

Hydreigon
Hydreigon has Dark Trance, which allows you to move darkness energy around freely, and then you combine this with Max Potion and Tyranitar becomes a tank.

Ultra Ball
Can discard Dark Energy for Dark Patch.

Luxury Ball
Just grabs any Pokémon for free. It is a great card.

Junk Arm
Junk Arm becomes ridiculous, fast. It lets you discard energy for Dark Patch, get back Max Potions, get back Computer Search, get that extra Rare Candy, you name it.

Dark Patch
Just standard energy acceleration.

Rare Candy
Rare Candy is the reason this deck works. It allows you to go straight from the Basic to the Stage 2. Without Rare Candy, this deck would be to clogged with Stage 1 Pokémon to work at all!

Max Potion
You Dark Trance energy off of Tyranitar. You heal Tyranitar with Max Potion. You Dark Trance the energy back. You KO stuff. Rinse and repeat.

Switch
For hose times that you really need to move your active Pokémon. Junk Arm-able, so you can afford to run only 2.

Computer Search
Discard 2 cards from your hand, and search your deck for any card. Pretty simple.

Juniper and N
Standard.

PONT
PONT is also pretty standard, but I just like it more than most other draw supporters.

Expert Belt
Makes Tyranitar do more damage, and gives it more HP, so it is even more of a tank.

9 Basic Dark
I only run 9, because you should only need to power up one Tyranitar. If you ever need to power up another, something went wrong.

Overall strategy:
Very simple. Keep Tyranitar alive with Dark Trance/Max Potion, hit for massive damage every turn, and sometimes you can even spread with Darkness Howl!
Vablakes - 7/10 3/5 4/5 = 15/20 -2 deduction for late entry = 13/20
WINNER - sKizor

(6)Garch vs (11)Eonic
Pokemon: 24
2X Sceptile GE
1X Sceptile Emerald
1X Sceptile SF
2X Grovyle GE
4X Treecko SF
2X Leafeon Lv.X
2X Leafeon RR
1X Espeon MD
4X Eevee MD 62
2X Claydol GE
2X Baltoy GE
1X Azelf LA

T/S/S: 24
4X Bebe’s Search
3X Skyla
2X Mr. Stone’s Project
2X N
4X Level Ball
1X Premier Ball
1X Computer Search
3X Rare Candy
2X Night Maintenance
1X Warp Point
1X Power Tree LM

Energy: 12
12 Grass

My challenge Pokemon was, obviously, Sceptile. As I scanned the available Sceptiles, very few caught my eye. I settled on using Sceptile Great Encounters for its energy doubling effect, and paired it with Leafeon Lv.X as a main attacker. The deck is fairly straight forward. Set up Leafeon Lv.X and Sceptile, and then flood the board with energy. Important numbers: 5 energy, 130 damage, KO’s most old Stage 2. 8 energy, 190 damage, KO’s new EX’s.

The deck goes for a turn three set up. On turn one, an Eevee or Treecko start is ideal, as they both have Call for Family. Eevee is better for the purpose of the deck. The after turn one is to have at least an Eevee and a Treecko on board, with multiple Eevee and a Baltoy or two being even better. On turn two, a Leafeon attacking is the best, so that I can use Plus Energy to get a third energy down. On turn three, a Leafeon Lv.X and Sceptile should be down, letting me have 5 energy down on turn 3, swinging for 130 damage.

Card Choices:
Pokemon:

Sceptile GE is the support of the deck. With its body, it doubles my grass energies, making Leafeon Lv.X do more damage and powering it up for one energy. I only use two because, with Bebe’s search, I don’t have to rely on drawing into the Sceptile I want, I can just search for it.

Sceptile Emerald is used to counter Special Conditions, ensuring that I can do what I want on my turns.

Leafeon Lv.X is the attacker of the deck. For one energy (with a Sceptile on board) it swings for at least 50 damage, escalating quickly for every energy I get down. Its power lets me get powered up even faster. The goal is to get at least 8~9 energy on board so that Leafeon can one shot everything.

Leafeon RR was chosen for two reasons. One is Energy Refresh. This lets me heal 20 damage each time I attach an energy. The second reason is for Plus Energy. I can use it on turn two, and it helps me set up a bigger turn three.

Sceptile SF is a tech. It’s put on board after a Sceptile GE has been set up and lets me keep energy where I want them. It also lets me heal what I want with Leafeon RR’s Energy Refresh. After attaching the energy, it isn’t stuck in a potentially useless place. The choice between weather to set up Sceptile SF or Emerald depends on whether or not the opponent’s deck uses special conditions.

Grovile GE is used for Greenness, a no energy attack that lets me put two energy from my deck into hand. I don’t expect to use it often, but it can help get energy into play if needed.

Treecko SF is actually important to the deck. With Call for Family, it helps set the deck up, getting whatever basic I’m missing on turn one.

Espeon gives Leafeon more HP. 130 is a big difference from 110.

Eevee MD is the best Eevee released, letting me get a hoard of Eevee on the field turn one. However, I’d only ever put three down. Two Leafeon, 1 Espeon. The other bench spots are for one of each Sceptile and two Claydol.

Claydol GE is one of, if not my favorite card of all time. I wasn’t going to pass up using it again. The consistency Cosmic Power adds to decks is unbeatable.

Azelf lets me Level Ball for a prized Leafeon Lv.X or Sceptile.

Trainers:

Bebe’s Search helps set up immensely. Thus, it’s maxed. I used it over Celio’s Network because putting a card back in the deck combos well with Claydol.

Skyla was the next supporter of choice. Given Level Ball’s importance in the deck, Skyla can act as a Pokemon search, or grab just about anything else. It also grabs Rare Candy, which is important in this decks set up.

Mr. Stone’s Project was chosen more for its ability to get energy from the discard. Since it gets two energies, I can attach them both right away thanks to Leafeon Lv.X.

N was picked for a solid draw support. Early game, it draws me six cards, and after I’ve taken my first prize I should have a Claydol in play, so a lower draw count isn’t a big problem.

Level Ball is the most important Trainer in the deck. It can get anything except Sceptile or Leafeon Lv.X. Since getting my basics early is so important, I maxed level ball, giving me the best chance of getting a lot of basics down early.

Premier Ball lets me Skyla for a way to get a Leafeon Lv.X out of the discard.

Computer Search is too good not to use. It can help get the turn three set up I want almost guaranteed, provided I hit it.

Rare Candy is important to get my Sceptiles on the field. I actually decided not to use BTS because this deck doesn’t need to be set up any sooner than turn three. Evolving turn one hurts the deck, because I lose Call for Family. It would only help set up Claydols earlier.

Night Maintenance is cooler than Super Rod. It helps ensure that I can keep setting up Leafeons. Played very carefully with Premier Ball, I can actually set up 5 Leafeon Lv.X over the course of a game.

1 Warp Point is used so I can have a better turn one. Retreating isn’t a big problem because of Leafeon Lv.X and Sceptile SF. After retreating, I can use Power Tree or Mr. Stone’s to get the energy back.
Warp Point is also cooler than Escape Rope.

1 Power Tree is used so that I never run out of energy over a game. It also lets me discard energy with Computer Search easily. I don’t use any Special Energy because of this card.

At full set up, this deck should easily run through every attacker thrown at it before the opponent can set up.

I’m not going to list what I didn’t use, because that would constitute another PM. There’s not a lot of room in a 60 card deck when spanning 33 sets
Garch - 8/10 4/5 4/5= 16/20
Pokemon: 21
2 Treecko (Arceus)
2 Sceptile (Great Encounters)
4 Shelmet (Dark Explorers)
4 Accelgor (Dark Explorers)
2 Duskull (Stormfront)
2 Dusknoir (Boundaries Crossed)
3 Pichu (HS)
2 Spirtomb (Arceus)

Supporters: 12
4 Professor Juniper
3 N
3 Skyla
2 Colress

Items: 17
4 Rare Candy
4 Poke-Drawer +
3 Junk Arm
2 Ultra Ball
1 Luxury Ball
2 Fluffy Berry
1 Computer Search (ACE-SPEC)

Stadiums: 1
1 Virbank City Gym

Energy: 9
5 Grass Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

Strategy:
The basic setup is to have a Sceptile, and a Dusknoir out, along with using Accelgor's Deck and Cover attack each turn. Pichu is optimally used on turn 1 to search for multiple Shelmets, a Spiritomb, as well as Treecko and Duskull for the respective Stage 2's. Spiritomb is used as a lock after Accelgor attacks, preventing the opponent from playing Switch to retreat their active Pokemon. Accelgor gives a nice amount of damage from it's base 50, but adds more each turn. To keep the paralysis lock ongoing, Dusknoir is played to move damage counters off the active Pokemon to the bench. Pichu helps in this sense as well, encouraging the opponent to have multiple benched Pokemon. This can then be taken advantaged with Dusknoir, allowing Accelgor to use Deck and Cover as much as possible while moving damage around. Sceptile acts as a way to charge up Deck and Cover for a single Grass Energy, where your effectively playing 9 Double Colorless Energy in the deck. The four Double Colorless Energy are played as a substitute when Sceptile is not on the bench.

The supporter line is geared straight towards draw power and search, to help achieve a turn 1 Pichu, and consistent Accelgors. Professor Juniper is maxed out on, as drawing seven cards is always helpful, especially when you need to draw Rare Candy, N works wonders, as the goal of the deck is to take all of it's prizes at once, using Dusknoir to move damage counters, you'll generally draw six cards from using N. To note, the same reason could be applied for playing the supporter Twins in the deck, but Twins is practically a dead draw turn 1 or 2, and that's when I need to Pichu in the active spot. Skyla's search helps at any point in the game, and it's all-around useful for setup is why it's played in high numbers, although only gets one card from deck, which is why it's not maxed out. Colress is great with Pichu, as the turn after I use Pichu's Playground attack, drawing 8-10 is certainly a possibility.

Rare Candy is a must of course, because the Sceptile and Dusknoir lines rely competely upon it. The reason for not using any of the respective Stage 1's is due to the fact that Rare Candy can accomplish the same result on turn 2. Poke-Draw + is an amazing deck filter/search, and combos well with Junk Arm. On the subject Junk Arm, it functions as a universal draw and search as well, where Professor Juniper, Ultra Ball, and Computer Search can put cards in the discard pile with ease. Ultra Ball is superior to other search items, as it searches for both Pichu and Accelgor. Luxury Ball does the same, and can be recycled with Junk Arm without having to constantly discard cards from hand. Fluffy Berry is used to retreat Spiritomb the turn after it is placed active from Accelgor, so the Energy attachment isn't wasted. Computer Search is the optimum Ace Spec choice, instead of Dowsing Machine or such, as it's functions as universal search, and is useful at any point in the game. Virbank City Gym helps to build more damage counters on your opponent's Pokemon, in tandem with Dusknoir. It's used as a one-of because it's not completely necessary to build up extra damage, but can be helpful to have out if you know your opponent can get around Spiritomb. It also counters a long list of other good Stadiums, which is a nice bonus.

9 Energy cards has seemed to to be a good amount for the deck, as only 1 Pokemon needs to attack throughout the whole game, and only requires one Energy card to do so. As mentioned, Double Colorless powers up Accelgor if Sceptile isn't present on that turn. To conclude, it could be argued that Sceptile is not needed, because Double Rainbow Energy can be played over the Grass Energies. But, because Double Rainbow Energy can only be attached to Accelgor and not Shelmet, as well as forcing the deck to play 8 Energy, the pverall setup would be much more difficult all-around.
Eonic - 7/10 5/5 4/5= 16/20
WINNER - Eonic

(3)pokemonrocks777 vs (14)sunchris
Deck Name: Wings Like Pidgeot (EX Deoxys- BW Plasma Storm)

Pokemon Count: 17
3 Sableye (DP Stormfront 48)
2 Smeargle (HS Undaunted or Call of Legends 21
4 Pidgey (HS Triumphant 71 or Call of Legends 67)
4 Pidgeotto (HS Triumphant 47 or Call of Legends 48)
1 Pidgeot (DP Secret Wonders 35)
1 Pidgeot δ (EX Holon Phantoms 14)
2 Pidgeot (Triumphant 29 or Call of Legends 30)

Trainers Supporters and Stadium: 25
3 Warp Point (Majestic Dawn 88, Diamond and Pearl 116, EX Crystal Guardians 84, EX Unseen Forces 93)
1 Luxury Ball (DP Stormfront 86)
4 Junk Arm (HS Triumphant 87)
1 Computer Search (Boundries Crossed 137)
2 Skyla (Boundries Crossed 134 or Boundries Crossed 149)
3 Colress (Plasma Storm 118 or Plasma Storm 135)
3 Professor Oak’s New Theory (HeartGold SoulSilver 101 or Call of Legends 83)
3 N (Noble Victories 92, Noble Victories 101 or Dark Explorers 96)
3 Professor Oak’s Research (Dragon Frontiers 80)
2 Broken Time Space (Platinum 104)
Energy: 18
4 Double Colorless Energy (Special) (HeartGold SoulSilver 103 or Next Destinies 92)
2 δ Rainbow Energy (Special) (Dragon Frontiers 88 or Holon Phantoms 98)
3 Holon Energy GL (Special) (Delta Species 105 or Dragon Frontiers 85)
3 Lightning Energy (Basic)
3 Grass Energy (Basic
2 Metal (Basic)
1 Metal Energy (Special) (Delta Species 107,Holon Phantoms95,Unseen Forces 97,Power Keepers 88, Mysterious Treasures 120,Secret Wonders,130 Majestic Dawn095, Rising Rivals 100, HS Undaunted 80, Call Of Legends 87)

Your Basic Strategy is to get a Pidgeot (NOT Pidgeot δ) as fast as you can (the sooner the better) Your Starter is 1 Sableye with the Pokebody Overeager that lets you go first and on the Bench you should have one Smeargle and one Pidgey (2 if you have them). With 14 Supporter Options you should be shuffling you deck enough to get many draw power at a time. As soon as you have Pidgeot in your active spot start tanking with the harder attacks. Pidgeot δ is your Last pokemon to get to stop Poke Powers, including your own smeargle,(but you already did what you needed to do with it.) With that Here are some notes.

Notes for Strategy:

If you have two Sableye in your hand pregame, Play only one of them (the other 2 are for Junk arm Bait and you only need one for start)
Have a Broken Time space on the Field for turn one
If you want to play 3(depends on opponents hand) supporters in one turn here is the Combo
a. Start Sableye
b. Use supporter for turn
c. Use Warpoint (switch to Smeargle)
d. Use Portrait (Smeargle’s PokePower)
e. Either attach basic Energy then retreat or use Junk arm to get warp point or use another Warp Point from your hand (switch to Sableye again or Smeargle #2 if forth supporter then repeat E. for sableye)
f. Use Sableye Impersonate Attack to search you’re your 3rd (or 4th) supporter for the turn
g. Done
Play Pidgeot in this order (HS, CL, SW, δ) Headwind makes it harder for Opponents to attack early in the Game.
You are not hitting for much but you are doing damage at least
You have free Retreat with your colorless Pidgeot use it to your advange
pokemonrocks777 - 8/10 3/5 4/5 = 15/20
sunchris - NO ENTRY
WINNER - pokemonrocks777

(7)ShadowGuard vs (10)vaporeon
ShadowGuard - NO ENTRY
Pokemon 15

4x Pidgey SW

The best Pidgey for the deck. Her first attack prevent 20 damage from being dealt to it.

3x Pidgeot SW

Qween of the deck. Her Purpose here is to shuffle damage around the board with Whirlwind. Whirlwind puts 50 damage on the Pokemon being attack and forces the opponent to bring out a new Pokemon. Mirrow Move allows her to hit a Pokemon for the same amount of damage he took.

1x Pidgeot d HP

Her purpose it to turn off PokePowers of non Delta Pokemon. I only put 1 in the deck to have the option of turing off a decks engine. She combos well with Energy Link.

3x Beldum LA 083

Its ability can swarm. Combos well with Energy Link.

2x Metagross DX

This Metagross breaks Pidgeot. Its ability allows it to attack a [P] or [M] energy cards from the discard pile to a Pokemon at the expense of 1 damage counter. Pidgeot only 2 energy to attack and with Max Potion, you have a constant stream of attacking Pidgeot. This Metagross also combos well with Energy Link. its attack does 70 damage if it shares the same amount as the Pokemon its attacking so with Energy Link, you can match energy counts with Pokemon with 2 or more energy. In Most cases the attack will score a KO after Pidgeot did a few attacks.

1x Metagross SV

This Metagross is a tech for its PokeBody. It give all Pokemon in play -20 HP. This allows Pidgeot to do its job better while it spread damage around the board. its attack also does spread damage to all of your opponents Pokemon of the same type as the Pokemon you're attacking if you have a stadium in play. The extra 20 damage from the attack can be usefuf.

1x Jirachi CL

She is her to do what she does. Take KOs on Pokemon she devolves with her attack. Pidgeot spreads the damage and Jirachi comes in and cleans up. Also combos well with Energy Link.

Trainers 33

4x Colress

Best Shuffle draw in the game.

4x Castaway

Grabs PokeTools, Energy and Supporters

3x Skyla

Searches Trainers

1x Professor Juniper

I only wanted 1 Juniper so I have a option of mass draw. I dont want to discard too many resources so the low count is needed.

4x Rare Candy
4x Poké Drawer +

Lets me search my deck for cards

3x Ultra Ball
3x Energy Link

Allows me to move my energy around. This allows for Max Potion plays and attacks.

2x Max Potion
2x Windstorm

Discards Stadiums and Poketools.

1x Luxury Ball

This is always a good 1 of. I opt to use 3 Ultra Balls with this card being the 4th ball.

1x Expert Belt

A nice 1 of. Helps deal more damages and makes the effect of DRE not as bad.

1x Dowsing Machine

I had a hard time finding a good Ace Spec for the deck. I did not want Computer Search because of Poke Drawer+ and did not want Gold Potion because of Max Potion. I did not want Dowsing Machine because I planned on using Junk Arm but could not make the space. After careful thinking, I decided to go with Dosing Machine because it can grab supporters as well. Can make all Trainer cards a +1 in the deck.

1x Aspertia City Gym

Give Pidgeot a bit more staying Power. It counteracts Metagross' Pokebody that give my colorless Pokemon -20 HP and allows Metagross attack to spread damage.

Energy 12

6x Psychic
4x DRE

Lets Pidgeot and Metagross attack easily.

2x Holon Energy WP

I wanted 2 because it allows Pidgeot d to use her PokeBody. It also give free retreat to a Pokemon with a [P] energy. This card also combos well with Energy Link.
vaporeon - 7/10 4/5 4/5 = 15/20
WINNER - vaporeon

(2)bullados vs (15)Ace-
Pokemon (17):
4 Chikorita MT 77
4 Bayleef MT 41
4 Meganium ex
1 Meganium Prime
4 Sableye SF 48

Trainers (31):
3 BTS
3 Level Ball
1 Luxury Ball
1 Comp Search
3 Dual Ball
3 Juniper
3 Skyla
4 Quick Ball
4 Junk Arm
4 Pokedex Handy 910is
2 Energy Retrieval

Energy (12):
12 Grass Energy

The entire purpose of this deck is Meganium ex's PokePower, Nurture and Heal, to get lots and lots of Energy into play for all of my Meganiums to use. With the Meganium Prime, it really doesn't matter where my energy get placed, I can move them anywhere. Also, all of my attackers have 150 HP, so they're gonna stick around for a while. And, with anything resembling a decent start, I can get 2 or 3 Meganium ex out on turn 1, with one of them attacking that turn as well! Broken Time Space is simply a stupid card, but I'll use it to my advantage any time I can. Sableye helps ensure that I go first as often as possible, and it helps set me up for zero energy. If I don't get my BTS out turn 1, I'll get it turn 2 with Skyla or Juniper, depending on the situation.

Best case scenario, I use my glut of Balls, Pokedex, and Junk Arm to get out as many Pokemon as possible and empty my hand before tossing a Juniper, grab a BTS, and evolve like a madman on steroids. The entire deck is built on speed, then hopefully hold out for as long as possible, taking KOs whenever I can. If I'm about to get KO'd, I'll retreat for 2, bring up another Meganium ex or Meganium Prime, continue the onslaught, and attempt to heal with Nurture and Heal whenever I can.

Now, I know that my damage output isn't as powerful as others out there. None of the Meganiums really attack for a ton of damage. The most any Meganium can do is the 90 from Meganium ex, and none of the Status conditions that the other Meganiums can deal are as powerful as the 90/Poison that Meganium ex puts out. And that I can put that damage out there by turn 2 is simply amazing to me. Seriously, BTS is the most broken card ever printed. And Junk Arm is pretty darn close. So my goal is to take advantage of the broken cards that exist in this format to make Meganium the beast it always could be.
bullados - 10/10 3/5 3/5 = 16/20
4 Chikorita MT
4 Bayleef MT
4 Meganium d DF
1 Roselia sw
1 Roserade DRX 15
1 Vulpix PT 102/127
1 Ninetails DRX
1 ralts pt
1 kirlia sw
1 gallade SW
1 Azelf LA
1 zorua dex
1 zoroark bw

Energy:
2 Fightning
4 DRE
4 multi

TSS:

4 Devolution Spray
2 Warp Point
3 Pokemon Communication
1 Luxury Ball

4 BTS

1 Palmer
4 n
4 pont
2 Celios
1 Scott
1 seeker

1 Comp Search

=28

Strategy:

Basically you want to get Meganium d as fast as possible because it allows you to get the Pokemon line you need in a certain situation. If you need damage, get the whole gallade or zoroark. If you want to take a "free" prize, stall or take out a bench sitter, get Ninetails. If you need a T/S/S or energy card, get Roserade. If you want to thin your deck, get another Meganium. If you want to see your prizes and need the last piece of a evolution line, get Azelf . meganium doesnt do a lot damage, but it is still useful as an attacker because of delta reduction.

Preevos:
I use the Preevos from DP-AR (if possible) because these preeveos have the best stats (no x2 weakness) and their attacks
actually helps to setup( ralts, kirlia, bayleef and vulpix) or can stall( chikorita and Roselia). Zorua DEX is better than other Zoruas because of ascension

Meganium d:
In my opinion Meganium is a Pokemon which has a good support ability but it doesnt do a lot damage. There were 6 Meganium i could work with but i decided to use the delta meganium only because it has one of the best setup powers and its able to take a lot damage because of delta reduction. The other Meganiums arent good enough in my opinion because they either have a low damage output or their poke-body/poke-power doesnt help to setup.
Meganium d is a support but it can also be used as an attacker. The damage output is low but delta reduction is a good stall attack. It should be used as attacker after a psychic cut and/or sonic blades

Roserade DRX:
There are Pokemon which has a simiiar ability (example: Froslass, Ledian d). I personally think ledian D has the best attack, but i cant utilize it because i dont use any tools. Froslass stats are worse than Roserades and i cant attack with froslass. Thats why i choose to play Roserade over Ledian and Froslass. I also chose Roserade over other Pokemon which helps to setup (example claydol) because Roserade allows me to get a card I need. Cards like claydol doesnt guarantee to get the card i need .

Ninetails DRX:
It allows me to ko bench sitter and also synergizes with Gallade well. If needed i can also buy some time with ninetails by using the ability on a pokemon with high retreat cost.

Gallade SW:
I tried to use other hitters like Jumpluff HS or Empoleon DEX, but i decided to use gallade because it can ohko almost every pokemon. Also it prepares kos for meganium very well because of sonic blade

Azelf LA:
I run many 1 ofs pokemon. Thats why Azelf is absolutely needed because it helps me to get the last piece of the evolution line

Zoroark BW:
its a versatile hitter but also helps to setup if needed. However its damage relies on the opponent´s Pokemon so its not needed in every game. It should be used if the opponent has Pokemon with good attacks in play.

Energy:
Dre are needed to attack with the evolved pokemon faster. Multi seems strange, but it allows me to attack with zoruas ascension. i dont use Blend GRPD because it doesnt provide the fightning energy i need for meganium and gallade. I also dont like rainbow energy because it puts a dmg counter. 2 fightning are in this deck because meganium needs

Devolution Spray:
It allows me to reuse "coming-into-play" powers. It basically helps me to setup better (meganium and roserade) or disrupts the opponent (ninetails).

Pokemon Communcation:
I think commucation is better in this deck than other trainer search cards because it allows to get every pokemon in exchange for one pokemon. I run many pokemon so the "costs" arent painful. I dont like discarding cards thats why i dont run any ultra balls

Luxury Ball:
Its the best searcher in the game, but i can only use it if there isnt any other luxury balls in the discard pile.

BTS:
Even though its not creative its absolutely needed for the Devolution Spray abuse.

supports:
Palmers helps me to recycle evolution lines. N is mainly for draw because this deck doesnt take fast prizes but can also be used for disruption. PONT is a "safe" draw card because it always provides 6 cards. Colress isnt good in the early game, Stevens advice cant be used in every situation and juniper might discard important ressources. luxury ball and communcation arent enough to get a fast meganium d. Thats why i play celios because the restriction doesnt hurt. Scott helps me mainly to get the BTS into play but also helps to setup.Seeker is basically like devolution spray.

Cpu search:
although i dont like discarding cards the effect is too good.
Ace - 8/10 4/5 4/5 = 16/20
WINNER - Ace-

Here is a link to the top 16 Bracket.
Top 16 Bracket

Last edited:
I would pick Ace-, Econic, and DragonClyne725 as the winners.
Agreed. I really like Eonic's Sceptile + Accelgor combo. It's a creative way to not only use Sceptile, but it also makes Accelgor much more playable. The whole Paralysis + Dusknoir is also a nasty combo.

Ace's 1-of-tech deck is sort of random, but it really does work well with BTS and Meganium delta. bullados's deck is appears to be based on super consistency, but is not as creative as Ace's IMO.

Of course, I also like my own deck, but I'd like to hear others' opinions regarding that :lol: I was thinking about trying Machamp SF, but really wanted to explore the Landorus/Champ Prime combo.

^To be fair, I didn't really like your list too much either. Don't like a 1-1 Claydol or the fact you only have 1 way to discard fighting (Sage's Training) for Landorus to be useful early on. However, Rambo only has 4 Pokemon search cards, all of which can't be searched along with 2 draw supporters which I felt would do him in.

^To be fair, I didn't really like your list too much either. Don't like a 1-1 Claydol or the fact you only have 1 way to discard fighting (Sage's Training) for Landorus to be useful early on. However, Rambo only has 4 Pokemon search cards, all of which can't be searched along with 2 draw supporters which I felt would do him in.

Hate to comment on my own deck as I don't want to sway decisions, but the 4 Pokemon Search cards can be searched with skyla, and the lack of draw supporters is made up for by the higher claydol count.

I agree that my deck has some flaws but I'm not entirely sure that you've picked up on the main problems, thanks for the helpful criticism though!

Hate to comment on my own deck as I don't want to sway decisions, but the 4 Pokemon Search cards can be searched with skyla, and the lack of draw supporters is made up for by the higher claydol count.

I agree that my deck has some flaws but I'm not entirely sure that you've picked up on the main problems, thanks for the helpful criticism though!

You did run skyla with it, my bad. You can search them. There were other problems as well, those just sprung out to me first.

Well I'm at work all day until tomorrow, which is when I can make it official. As of now no one has persuaded me to change my voting.

Vaporeon, your score really reflects how I feel. I can't really update all of it via my phone with my opinion, your deck was good but had some flaws.

Cabd was asking how a perfect score could have been achieved. I truthfully think the best and closest answer would be Ace-. His deck score doesn't truly reflect what it could have been. If he would of chosen to play atleast one different Meganium, his creativity would have gone up and his card use would have been a 5. I think running 3 BTS in his deck wouldn't have hurt his deck score, but what would have made it better is if he would have included Giant Stump, and increased his Azelf count to 2 "just incase."Or even threw in a rotom. His deck is hurt by things being prized and the bench space. Factor in all that I said, adding a stump, rotom/+1 Azelf, one different Meganium for creativity, his score could have reflected perfection, a full 20/20. That's to answer the question of perfection and what it is. Everyone should note, the best Iron Chef deck is NOT the deck that will be the best at a tournament. It is simply a deck which a challenge was made that you would have to make the best of.

Last edited:
My vote is for rambo, DC's entry might as well have been MD-on; while Rambo really went back and looked at past sets.

FWIW

I think Rambo, Eonic, and Ace all edge their matches due to creativity and card use.

I'll throw in my vote as well. While DragonClyne had a good idea with using Landorus in tandem with Machamp, Rambo had a more creative deck design with the trainers played. Also, Ace- made very good use of the Delta Meganium, and the choices for evolutions were decent as well.

Therefore, I think Rambo and Ace- deserve to win in their respective match ups. And of course, I can't comment on my deck, but I would like to give my thanks to everyone who has.

Last edited:
Scores for Group 1 are official.

Congrats to all those that made it into the top 16.
After deliberation and viewer opinions, Rambo, Eonic and Ace- have moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back