Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Old decks

brandonjmatt

I started playing pokemon about when EX Dragon set came out and i never really saw any of the old decks and i've herd of some of them like Murkrow/Sneasel/Slowking or the Mr.Mime/Alakazam or Feraligator but if you could maybe post a list and explain the deck just so I can understand some of the older decks more if you would thanks(any old list will do, even rogues!)

The original three archetypes were as follows.

Haymaker - Fast, aggressive deck which puts extreme pressure on its opponent's Pokémon through means of Energy Removal and Super Energy Removal. With this energy denial, it uses Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, and Scyther to attack. Ample amounts of card drawing such as Bill and Professor Oak keep card advantage. The deck was named due to the originally planned name of Hitmonchan's three energy attack, which was Haymaker (it later became Special Punch).

Rain Dance - Aggressive combo deck which would use Pokémon Breeder to fuel out Blastoise as fast as possible, and then attack either with it, or with another suitably large Water Pokémon. Oak was used to refill your hand with Water Energy to Rain Dance onto things. The deck's name comes from Blastoise's Pokémon Power, which let you play infinite Water Energy per turn.

Damage Swap - This is the Alakazam/Mr. Mime lock you mentioned. It would basically win by stall, using Mr. Mime to soak up any attack, since it couldn't ever take more than 20 damage at a time (the only thing that could OHK it was Nidoking's Toxic), and high HP Pokémon like Chansey to fill with damage. Pokémon Center and Scoop Up could then remove all the damage at once. Deck name comes from Alakazam's Pokémon Power.

In addition, I have vague recollections of a deck called InSaNiTy, which to my knowledge used MP Mewtwo (which Mewtwo EX was based off of) and a grand total of like 5 Energy, and would just recur the Energy and attack with it aggressively. I wasn't too familiar with it myself, though. Bear in mind the game was broken in different ways in those days, too, such that it became a meaninglessly easy thing to remove 4-5 of your opponent's Energy cards in a single turn (imagine how broken Energy Removal plus Super Energy Removal would be nowadays). There were no Supporters, either - Trainers could all be played freely, without any limitations.

Pojo was the place for Pokemon back then. You could look through their archives, though they're dense and chaotic. I have a book "Pojo's Big Book of Pokemon" which records the environment before Rocket. This lists Haymaker and Rain Dance among others. If you just want decklists I could post those. I'd like to see later archetypes, Neon and Eon etc, but I have yet to find such an archive. If anyone knows one, :thumb:

MG

Heres the arch types for the gold and silver generation and thats when i started to play the game at that point.

Feraligatr/Parasect- Feraligatr Neo Gen was suppose to do heavy damage using riptide by counting the number of water energies in the discard pile. The reason parasect was there is because of this nifty pokemon power where you dont have to shuffle the waters back into the discard pile and you keep on doing that heavy damage from feraligatrs riptide move, Good combos in that deck were juggler, Elm, gold berry. That was my favorite deck :biggrin:

Dark Gengar/SlowKing- It is a disable annoying deck that i have seen in play. Dark Gengar prevents your opponents pokemon from attacking by making them asleep but they need they flip 2 coins in order to attack. Slowking on the other hand prevents your opponent from playing trainer cards as long as you remember to flip the coins. It was combined nicely with Rockets hideout to last longer with dark gengar and switches just incase you have slowking out, Also those dark energies were there to power up dark gengar

Crobat/Murkrow- Free Retreat Cost deck that you wouldnt have to give up those energies and crobat is to poison the opponents pokemon as with murkrow can easily trap the opponents pokemon and keep attacking the bench. Cards that work well with it are healing fields, Elm, gold berry to last really long in the game.

Enteircargo- Basically its a fast setup using enteis pokemon power howl to look up at the top 5 cards and attach as many fires as there are at the top 5 and magcargo can do lava flow for 40 or more depending on how many cards you discard on the 2nd turn of the game,

Kingdra- Its basically kingdra alone but he is the first pokemon that has no weakness in that generation and works well with baby pokemon like tyrouge incase you run into electric pokemon, But you play trainers like pokemon center and good trainers like ELM,gold berry,breeder. That sort

manicgiraffe said:
Pojo was the place for Pokemon back then.

The 'Gym was pretty strong during those days, too. You know, the original 'Gym, the Brockawmon Center turned Psylum's Pokégym incarnation of it.

Pojo was big, yes, but it wasn't "the" place for it. I remember their first forums... and for my sake, I wish nobody else does (I have my reasons).

Neo: Slowking was pretty degenerate in any deck. Sneasel was degenerate by himself; it could deal up to 140 damage every turn from Turn 2 on (though that would require a lot of coin flipping; it was still a very serious number). These two became the first cards to be banned in Pokémon.

The Exes from the first Nintendo set, Ruby/Sapphire, were all souped-up versions of each type's best Big Basic Pokémon (BBP was slang back then; dunno if it still is). I always found it funny that Sneasel-Ex was actually a powered-down version of the original :)

Sneasel Ex - Neo Genesis Sneasel
Hitmonchan Ex - Base Set Hitmonchan, a key part of Haymaker
Magmar Ex - Fossil Magmar, not amazing but the best basic Fire guy they could find.
Scyther Ex - Jungle Scyther, another major part of Haymaker
Electabuzz Ex - Base Set Electabuzz, the third must-have BBP from Haymaker.
Mewtwo Ex - Movie Promo Mewtwo, all aggressive psychic decks sucked without him.
Lapras Ex - Fossil Lapras; like Magmar, there really wasn't anything else.
Chansey Ex - Base Set Chansey, with an altered "heal" move less likely to create as many Stall decks with old army buddy Base Set Alakazam.

...would you believe I've kept this Scrye suppliment for more than six years that had, among other things, standard decklists for Haymaker, Damage Swap and Raindance and I just threw it out last week.

I think I know the issue you're talking about, and it's like the only one I have... that's crazy. I'll dig it up later if nobody's posted any decklists by then.

mewto barrier 59 pschic : unless ur opponet first turn poisons you you win cause u only play 1 basic and they draw from mulliggian barrier lets u discard an energy and prevent all effects of attk including damage done to mewto

slowking if ur opponet wants to play a trainer they have4 to flip a coin if heads they can play the trainer if tails they put it on top of their deck so if u had 4 slowking it was nearly impossible for them to play a trainer

baby pokemon and focus band ur opponet only has a 25 percent chance of knocking ur baby out with focus band on it

Mewtwo mulligan was pretty good. It only auto lost to any deck that played Cleffa, Lass, Energy Removal, or Super Energy Removal, but those cards werent very popular.

Back