Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Origins/Nationals

GrandmaJoner

I have just found out that origins and nationals are going to be in Ohio AGAIN this year. I am quite furious, but I might be ignorant in this situation. I don't know why they would make it at the exact same location for 2 years in a row. This location makes it impossible for me to get there unless i fly, and I'm sure it handicaps a lot of other people on the west coast as well. I just wanted feedback and thoughts on this. I'm pretty annoyed =/.

Ya, I'm kind of ticked off too. I don't know of any other card game that has there nationals tournament at the same place 2 years in a row. I know Nationals for Magic in 2003 was in California and in 2004 it was in Missouri. Doing it this way just makes it unfare to all the players that don't live in Ohio and have to drive or fly to that state to play in Nationals 2 years in a row, at least if it was in a different state the people in Ohio would have to travel to play in Nationals this time.

Well...considering that Origins is one of the largest game fairs (second only to GenCon, I believe)...it's not a bad choice; the game will get lots of exposure among the "other" games, after all...

And anyway...people are going to complain no matter WHERE it's held; there's no way to satisfy ALL the players. So why _not_ have it at a high-visibility gaming convention, where other gamers can see just how serious this game actually _can_ be?

JMHO,
'mom

SD PokéMom said:
And anyway...people are going to complain no matter WHERE it's held; there's no way to satisfy ALL the players. So why _not_ have it at a high-visibility gaming convention, where other gamers can see just how serious this game actually _can_ be?
The point is the people aren't complaining 2 years in a row since they are having it 2 years in a row.

Last edited:
Magic's Type I Championships - every year - GenCon.

Any Decipher game - National Championships - every year - Origins.

Any AEG game - National Championships - every year - Origins.

I didn't see many Professors complaining when the last (and only I may add) two Professor Championships were held there.

Anyone see a trend?

Origins is the second largest Gaming Convention in North America (if not the world), with GenCon Indy being the largest. This is one of the places where companies showcase their products and their players.

Nintendo needs to have Nationals at Origins EVERY YEAR. Origins is a terrific event and when you get that many gamers together and throw the Pokemon National Championship into the mix, you've GOT to be attracting some new players (which is really the point from a business perspective, right?).

Last edited:
Plus, it's only a short walk from the North Market and Jose Madrid's Fruit Flavored Salsa! Raspberry Chipolte BBQ! Strawberry! Pineapple! Peach!

The only thing I don't like about Nationals being at Origins is that the prices for badges can limit some people from attending. However, Origins itself has so much to do when you're not playing Pokemon: goodie bags, freebies, shopping, the unique crowds/community, and the chance to play other games. I just think that any event, no matter what the outcome, is always a blast at a Convention.

Last edited:
DaytonGymLeader said:
Magic's Type I Championships - every year - GenCon.

Any Decipher game - National Championships - every year - Origins.

Any AEG game - National Championships - every year - Origins.

I didn't see many Professors complaining when the last (and only I may add) two Professor Championships were held there.

Anyone see a trend?

Origins is the second largest Gaming Convention in North America (if not the world), with GenCon Indy being the largest. This is one of the places where companies showcase their products and their players.
Type 1 in Magic is no where near as widely played as Type 2 so if I can see that being played there just like I could see an Unlimited Pokemon Nationals being there every year since no where near as many players play Unlimited as the do Modified now. What games does AEG and Decipher have anyway (is Decipher the one incharge of that stupid Yu-Gi-Oh game)?
Like I said Magics Type 2 Nationals changes locations every year and since that is Pokemons equivalent of Modified, if they change locations every year so should Pokemons. Oh, and I noticed where your location says so why would you have any problems with it being in Ohio when you live there and are getting it 2 years in a row there now. I know it's a good idea to have it at a gaming convention but there are others they could have chose like Comic Con or GenCon (since GenCon Indy is the largest).

Last edited:
Dragonstar said:
Type 1 in Magic is no where near as widely played as Type 2 so if I can see that being played there just like I could see an Unlimited Pokemon Nationals being there every year since no where near as many players play Unlimited as the do Modified now. What games does AEG and Decipher have anyway (is Decipher the one incharge of that stupid Yu-Gi-Oh game)?
Like I said Magics Type 2 Nationals changes locations every year and since that is Pokemons equivalent of Modified, if they change locations every year so should Pokemons. Oh, and I noticed where your location says so why would you have any problems with it being in Ohio when you live there and are getting it 2 years in a row there now. I know it's a good idea to have it at a gaming convention but there are others they could have chose like Comic Con or GenCon (since GenCon Indy is the largest).

And Pokemon isn't nearly as widely played as Magic.

As soon as that changes, we'll look at making some other changes as well.

Prof. Dav

Oh, give me a break; you'd be complaining no matter where it was, unless it was in your own back yard.

Nationals at GenCon, when it was in conflict with WORLDS last year? Wha?

Nationals at ComicCon, when it's two weeks AFTER Origins? And though it's a huge show (in some ways, TOO big =/) and gaming is a large part of it, gaming is NOT the main focus of the convention like it is at GenCon and Origins. But yeah, it's convenient to you, so that makes it all good...gee, I'M from San Diego, and you don't see me screaming for Nat'ls to be at Comic-Con, do you? :rolleyes:

What games does AEG do? Does Legend of the Five Rings ring a bell? And no, Decipher does NOT do Yu-Gi-Oh...that's UpperDeck. Decipher does Star Trek, and did Star Wars, before WotC got that license...

Sheesh.

JMHO,
'mom :nonono:

Professor Dav said:
And Pokemon isn't nearly as widely played as Magic.

As soon as that changes, we'll look at making some other changes as well.

Prof. Dav
I know Pokemon isn't as big as Magic but if everyone tries to get more people to start playing (like I've been for months) maybe Pokemon would be able to become as big as Magic. I just got 2 new people to play at the last prerelease and they said they may start buying packs and playing regularly again and 2 new people just moved here and started going to league since they couldn't were they lived because of the distance it takes to get to there old states leagues.

Type I not widely played? You really need to do some research. The Type I Championships draws between 200-300 per year. That's just as much as Pokemon's US Nationals were last year.

Decipher runs Lord of the Rings, Dot Hack, Star Trek, and a slew of other games. AEG Runs Legend of the 5 Rings, Vampire, Warlord, and a few others that escape me. Oh, speaking of Upper Deck (they're the folks who have Yu-Gi-Oh!), their first $10,000 event for VS was at Origins last year. Here's some other Nationals at Origins over the past few years - WotC with Risk 2210 and Star Wars, and WizKids with MechWarrior and Mage Knight.

My location is irrelevant considering I don't get to play in these events, I usually staff them. My wife and I have been staffing at Origins and GenCon for a few years. We don't get to play at conventions as we're usually working.

Last year, GenCon Indy and Worlds were the same weekend. Attendance was low at GenCon, so it's not really feasable to run any type of alternate to Worlds at GenCon if they are run concurrently.

Last edited:
Dragonstar said:
I know Pokemon isn't as big as Magic but if everyone tries to get more people to start playing (like I've been for months) maybe Pokemon would be able to become as big as Magic. I just got 2 new people to play at the last prerelease and they said they may start buying packs and playing regularly again and 2 new people just moved here and started going to league since they couldn't were they lived because of the distance it takes to get to there old states leagues.

Ohio is a very centrally located state. By holding our Nationals there, no one is too far away to attend, or, at least, not an entire country away.

It is much harder for someone from NY to make it to say, California, than it is for someone from California to make it to Ohio, and NY to Ohio.

There are more people EAST of the Mississippi than there are West of the Mississippi as well, putting a majority of the population nearer the event.

FYI- Our current plans are to hold our Nationals at Origins every year, until we outgrow the venue.

Prof. Dav

Professor Dav said:
Ohio is a very centrally located state. By holding our Nationals there, no one is too far away to attend, or, at least, not an entire country away.

It is much harder for someone from NY to make it to say, California, than it is for someone from California to make it to Ohio, and NY to Ohio.

There are more people EAST of the Mississippi than there are West of the Mississippi as well, putting a majority of the population nearer the event.

FYI- Our current plans are to hold our Nationals at Origins every year, until we outgrow the venue.

Prof. Dav

Congrats prof.dave. Wise move making nationals at origins game expo again. Being the 2nd biggest game expo of the year it makes the biggest stage forn the US nationals and im glad to hear it will be held there for the future origins.

I know alot of people complain because they like variety in where events are held and want to see events held closer to home but look at it from a buisniss sense. The bigger the venue they hold it in the more players they get in, the more exposure they get. Yes holding it in a diffrent venue would suit the players with distance getting there but brining it to a big time game expo like origins would make for a bigger market to show the game and to get new players as time goes on :)

Not to digress, but who's idea was it to have Gencon AFTER school started back!?

(I guess I could ask the same question of Worlds, but we like the Nintendo guys and won't bust their chops.)

I still think I don't understand something here. Is Origins itself like a venue or something, a place? I thought it was just another card gaming event or something. But I still think that they could find venues in other places too, rather than making it the same every year. Who is going to make the best showing at nationals? Ohio players. I still think that year after year it is kinda unfair to put it in the same place. Is it really worth flying to nationals? For some people, yes. Even if I didnt have an invite to world next year, I still would not fly there, because it isn't really worth it IMO. There's going to be lots of people there, and the prizes are essentially the same as the ones at a Gym Challenge or something. Making it there every year is going to become less and less popular IMO.

The Gorn said:
Not to digress, but who's idea was it to have Gencon AFTER school started back!?

(I guess I could ask the same question of Worlds, but we like the Nintendo guys and won't bust their chops.)

Well its noones exact plan to make GenCon after school starts. Like origins its an event each year that is planned well in advanced. they make the date and look it over. If it fits in with everything, they will plan it. Unfortunily it hits after school starts but that is noones fault, its just the date set every year for it by the company who controls the biggest game fair in the USA

Back