Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Platnium Set Destroys DP

Everwind

Question:

I have looked through the new card scans and was very disturbed. The new set have so many cards that make the previous set obsolete. It appears to me that the new set is basically destroying a majority of the dp-on set. Is this your opinion too?

Have I basically just wasted all my hard earned money on cards that have become obsolete before the season is even over and rotated out? Sure I understand I can still play for fun, but will those decks be competitive in tournament play? I think not, and spending $100 for another set in this economy when folks are having a hard time just makes no sense to me.

Are my fears valid? Is the Pokemon company just greedy beyond words and good sense? Are you going to continue to buy cards for this set in large numbers. Is pokemon a game for only the rich?

And therein lies what I have been trying to accomplish all of this season - find a deck that won't cost me my college tuition (which I already can't pay) and that will be usable until the end of the year.

Scizor/Cherries is a good choice. The deck costs about $10 to run and will net you probably x10 that in tournament winnings.

Anything that runs Claydol is a no-no, however. Hence, eliminating about 90% of all decks I can run ;/

But honestly, it's not PUI that ruins the game, it's the player's demand for the cards that ruins it. I'm not paying $20 for a card, that's ridiculous.

pokemon has always been a game for those... well off I guess. Some manage to play without buying much, but it's always been hard to stay competitive. Honestly I don't think these cards will make the old sets unplayable. They are very easily countered. I don't think pokemon USA is any greedier than other card games. New sets are continuably better than the one before it. Back when Jungle came out, people thought it was amazing scyther could do 30 on turn 2. Now we're all donking T1 with kingdra and machamp doing huge amounts of damage. It's an understandable tactic that happens in all card games. This kind of thing has definitely happened before.

Question:

I have looked through the new card scans and was very disturbed. The new set have so many cards that make the previous set obsolete. It appears to me that the new set is basically destroying a majority of the dp-on set. Is this your opinion too?

Have I basically just wasted all my hard earned money on cards that have become obsolete before the season is even over and rotated out? Sure I understand I can still play for fun, but will those decks be competitive in tournament play? I think not, and spending $100 for another set in this economy when folks are having a hard time just makes no sense to me.

Are my fears valid? Is the Pokemon company just greedy beyond words and good sense? Are you going to continue to buy cards for this set in large numbers. Is pokemon a game for only the rich?

If you actually look, this set makes many, many of the older cards playable, including ones that were once though of as unplayable. I'm far from rich and I manage to build what ever deck I want to play. The trick is trading for what you need (try and get people to toss in that 1 extra card when you make trades, it makes a difference if your short on stuff) and then winning with the deck you build. If you build a good enough deck that you can consistently win with it, you could seriously never have to buy a pack again.

Can you give some concrete examples of how this new set is ruining the old ones, or making them obsolete?

For the most part I just see cards that augment previously existing stuff, or that exist unto themselves and may shake up the format, adding new layers to the overall metagame (such as Ampharos, Blastoise, Delcatty). I also do see some cards that give specific cards a hard time, ie. Rampardos is basically going to beat Regigigas 90% of the time since it can swarm and always OHKO for a single energy, barring Snowpoint (and then it's just a counter stadium/Crobat G/PlusPower/Buck's/Pokeblower heads/Cresselia lv. X etc. away from the OHKO, or an amazing 160 damage). Having a few new cards/decks in the cardpool that give other decks bad match-ups or even "auto-losses" (a term I generally dislike, because I've learned that few things are truly "auto" or guaranteed in this game) is actually a good thing in my opinion. It leads to more balance, if anything.

Also, on the money issue, I think if you did a study of all the players out there, from the top to the bottom, you would find a lot of them actually do trade and borrow more than they buy. Yes, I know buying is still going to be huge, but you can literally borrow entire decks (NOT the same thing as borrowing a list-- I'm talking about coming up with the list and then borrowing all of the individual cards for it to physically use in a tournament) if you have the proper networking skills. I know of several highly successful players that have done or still do that. Also, this game is a lot less harsh on the pocketbooks than a number of other popular card games out there you could be playing, such as Magic or Yugioh. Paying about 30 dollars for 2 Claydol may seem crazy but it is so crucial to success in most decks that you have to start to look at it in terms of cost-benefit and returns: put 30 in, play in tournaments and get a lot of points and packs, make a profit. Spending money on quality cards that are going to let you do well in tournaments is honestly money well spent, if playing this game for real is something that makes you happy.

What you do in this scenario is go through your old cards, and look at each of them. You think, "Why is this card unusable?" Then, you (attempt to) think of some combo that makes the card viable, and there you go. Claydols should be a problem, but if you run Uxies, you're pretty good.

Yeah yugioh is way worse the card you need 2 of in every deck costs like 150$. That's pretty much why I quit before this season started. (for those who play yugioh I'm talking about DAD)

I don´t know, why Claydol is so expensive in the US. I have 5 claydols, which cost me 5-7€ in europe. Surely its one of the best cards in format, but you can replace it very well. You can use Uxie La e.g. which helps more than claydol in some decks. Furthermore i think that uxie is better claydol because claydol stops you in some ways.

Uxie's price has shot up too for what it's worth. Good cards are in demand. It's happens.

I'm pretty much with DarthPika & butlerforhire on the issue of trade / borrow, though I'll admit that I spend way to much money on cards myself.

On playablity, the new set will render some old cards less playable ... but that's not to say that in a few months the "useless" card's. Frequently cards come back into style as it were. I think that Flygon SW will be an example. No one plays it now, but it's not unlikely that it will become a tech in future decks once we get a new Flygon. G&G is another good example. AMU, Dusknoir, & Gengar "made it unplayable" but lo and behold some folks rediscovered the Weavile version of the deck and made it good.

Every time a new set comes out and think there are "god" cards in the set, we find that, while good, they are not the end all/be all of pokemon decks.

There has already been a lot of discussion on how certain cards from older sets are going to make a resurgence because they take advantage of the realitively low HP on the SP Pokemon.

The metagame will evolve and change multiple times between the release of Platinum and Regionals. I wouldn't put away all my DP cards yet...I am sure there are some gems out there that were made to be played in a Basic pokemon heavy environment.

One card in particular that actually will finally BECOME playable is (and do not laugh, or my feelings will greatly suffer) Rhyperior lv. X. With the new Delcatty, it can do a ton of damage guaranteed for 0 energy-- and by a ton, I mean 200 with 2 Delcatty and 4 energy in the discard (which would soon be on top of the deck, of course).

That is just one example of the opposite of what the OP fears.

I saw a Rhyperior lv.X deck do amazing well at a Cities this past weekend. Delcatty will make it a much better deck, so definitely look out for this 0 energy behemoth.

Back