Poke-Power: Baby Evolution

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by MuRa, Apr 10, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MuRa

MuRa New Member

An issue has come up recently at the place I work and I want an official ruling:

Do you still have to flip to attack Basic's with "Baby Evolution" as their Poke-Power? I searched the Compendium throughly and the best answer I could find was through this:

Q. Lanette's Net Search says to "search your deck for up to three different types of Basic Pokemon cards excluding Baby Pokemon". Does the phrase "Baby Pokemon" only refer to older babies (like Neo series), or does it also apply to newer cards with the "Baby Evolution" Poke-POWER on them?
    A. The new "Baby" Pokemon are written as Basic Pokemon. "Baby Pokemon" refers to older cards as they have been printed. Basics that have the PokePower "Baby Evolution" are Basics and not Baby Pokemon, even if other cards of the same name are considered Baby Pokemon. (Sep 11, 2003 PUI Rules Team Meeting)

The bolded part is the relevent part. Since they aren't "Baby Pokemon" you shouldn't have to flip, correct?

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

You are correct. The Pokemon Company has decided that the all the flips due to the Baby Power were a drag on the game. All of the Basic Pokemon in the "EX" sets that have the Poke Power "Baby Evolution" are Basics and not Baby Pokemon.
    They have more than 30 HP
    They don't say that they evolve into the matching Basic, instead they have a Poke Power that let's them do a "special Evolution".
    And, most importantly, they don't have Baby Pokemon printed on them!
    Really, that's the one thing that tells you if they are a baby or not. Baby Pokemon say Baby Pokemon
    Elekid from the Sandstorm set, for example, clearly says Basic Pokemon

As a final kicker, they don't have the Baby Rule printed on them. All real Baby Pokemon have the Baby Rule printed on them.

Here, this might help. Think of Shining Charizard or Rocket Scizor. Both of those Pokemon are usually evolution cards. However, these two versions are Basic Pokemon. You don't need to evolve into them.
    Similar thing with Elekid or Pichu from Sandstorm. While earlier versions of them may have been printed as Baby Pokemon, you need to look at each card on its own. These ones are Basics, not Babies.

Bottom line, if the text ain't there saying to do it, a card doesn't do it.
    Same thing with Aqua or Magma Energy used as Darkness Energy. No damage bonus text, no damage bonus.
    Wishing it to be there doesn't make it so.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.