Pokegym Fantasy Football: Sign-Up Posted!

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by Cheater Hater, Aug 9, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Cheater Hater

Cheater Hater New Member

Three major discussion points for now.

1. Post to show your interest. It will help me determine the league size. Post the times you could draft as well.
    Do not post interest unless you can plan on being active during the season!!!
    2. Yahoo added some things to their free Fantasy Football (still no live scoring though), but most important is changing the scoring slightly. Now a passing touchdown is 4 points instead of 6 in a default league. Should we go along with the default, or do the same as we did last year?
    3. This is just a personal thought, but can we shorten the draft this year? I was thinking of going to only 1 QB, 1 DST, and 2 IDP's (as opposed to 2, 2, and 6). This would shorten the draft by about 20%, allow us to have another bench player, and hopefully keep more people active (less to do).

Note to Dendro: Can you be commissioner this year? I'd gladly be co-commissioner and help you (Yahoo added that this year), but you can handle creating the leagues and the pain in the neck of trying to set a good draft time. You also did summary posts better.
    Again, do not post interest unless you plan on being active during the season!!!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  2. Dendrobatida

Dendrobatida New Member

With my teaching duties, my daughter, and my obligations as a moderator here I don't know what kind of job I'd be able to do as a commish, but if you're desperate I can give it a go.

I'm always a fan of the old 2-QB system (The original free online fantasy site was called "Sandbox.com," and the pokegym league has used their scoring system from the get-go). I like longer drafts, but would have no problem dropping it down to 2 individual defensive players. I think alot of people get turned off by Yahoo!'s weird ranking system, where the higher scoring defensive players are not ranked at the top, and instead you get return men and swing players who do little actual scoring at the top of their rankings. My vote would be for 2 QB's (6 pts per TD pass, like in the good ol' days), 2 RB, 4 WR, 1 TE, 2 swing slots, 1 K, 2 DEF, and 2 IDP (DB or DE, I'd just leave them D), and then 5 bench slots or thereabouts.

All of this changes, however, depending on one thing: The size of the league. In the past we've had to set up two 10 to 12 player leagues to accomodate the demand. If we go one 20-player league, the 2 QB thing becomes alot harder to deal with.

Cheers,

Jake/Dendro

3. hinduplaya

hinduplaya New Member

is anyone free to join b/c i'd like to sign up. Also, I think yahoo is the best in terms of giving a full fantasy football experience. As for times, I'd be good anytime before the 26th as school starts then for me.

4. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

I'm always up for Fantasy Football. I like high scoring, though. I don't like Yahoo's new points leagues, as it makes RBs TOO DARN OVERPOWERED!!! 6 PPT, no matter what the position or type. Is there going to be a "flex" position this year? Like, one spot that can be RB/WR/TE? That's a nice little thing to just toss in.

I'm in. Just give me a date and time, and I'll be there.

5. clement30

clement30 New Member

Count me in. I LOVE Fantasy Football, and this will be the 3rd or 4th one i've signed up for, and i can still keep focused on this one. Time wise, I would say a Weekday, not Friday, at around 7 or 8pm.

6. Strike

Strike Member

Count me in, sure why not.

7. Cheater Hater

Cheater Hater New Member

Dendro: I guess I can set up the leagues and times since you're so busy. We can also be co-commissioners (if it works better than in the EA league last year).
    We can stay with 2 QB/DST as long as we limit individual league size to 10 players max. I'm assuming you meant 3 WR's, not 4, right?

bullados: There'll still be the two flex positions (one W/R, one W/T) like always.

Everyone: Three more discussion points:

A: Would you rather have two smaller (10) leagues or one bigger (14) league?

B: Final roster okay? 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 W/R, 1 W/T, 1 K, 2 DST, 2 IDP, 6/7 Bench

C: 6 points for a passing touchdown, instead of Yahoo's default 4?

Do not post unless you plan on being active during the season!!!

8. hinduplaya

hinduplaya New Member

1. i prefer one big league but it doesn't really matter to me.
    2. I'd rather have that roster down to around 15.
    3. Yes that's fine

If you can, please PM with the league info.

9. Cheater Hater

Cheater Hater New Member

This is about as small as our roster goes because our "constant" league members like the large roster.
    I actually am trying to create the league right now, but I came across another difference: They are scoring double the points for yardage (25, 10, 10 for 1 instead of 50, 20, 20). I haven't changed those from last year, but I'm just bringing it up.
    I'm tentatively setting the draft (at least for the first league) sometime late next week (Thursday?) at about 7:30 EDT. The problem is if you want a good time we have to draft next week. If you're posting a suggested time, make sure to include the time zone to be precise.

Don't post interest unless Who am I kidding? The only way I'm sure that everyone will be active is if I only send out invitations via PM, and is that a good thing?

10. clement30

clement30 New Member

1: would rather have a big league, so it's not too exclusive

2: Roster is fine.

3: I'm good with 6 points

As for time, i meant 7-8pm Eastern time, and I think Thursday is good for me too.

11. ToysRUsKid

ToysRUsKid Active Member

Hmm.

1 QB
    2 RB
    3 WR
    1 TE
    1 RB/WR
    2 DEF
    1 Kicker
    3 Defensive

Old Point System as well.

12. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

Depending on the size of the league, 2 QB is just fine. Remember, there are 32 starting QBs, and at least 16 of them are at worst "good". 2 Flex is also good, and 2 Def is also good. Looks like I'm gonna have to adjust my drafting strategies a little bit for this thing, but it's good to see different stuff going on out there...

13. HurricaneWarty

HurricaneWarty New Member

I love playing fantasy football and would love getting back into it this year as my schedule now allows. I am all for any scoring system really, the only preference I personally have is 4 pts for a passing TD and 6 pts for a rushing/receiving TD. 2 QBs is fine if the league is small enough. Anytime after about 6 PM Mountain Time ( 8 PM Eastern) is fine with me for a drafts, as long as it isn't a friday night.

14. Cheater Hater

Cheater Hater New Member

The link to sign up for a Yahoo league is here

League ID: 405852

Password: nosepass.

It currently has a max of 10 players and a current draft date of Thursday the 23 at 9:00 EDT. That date and time are almost certain to change based on how fast the league fills and the opinions of the members who join.

If you join the league, you will be expected to be ACTIVE!!!
    Active means trying to attend the live draft, spending at least a couple minutes a week checking the league, making sure you adjust your roster based on things like bye weeks and injuries (which Yahoo informs you of), and possibly making trades and/or free agent acquisitions during the course of the season.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  15. hinduplaya

hinduplaya New Member

nice I'm in

16. HurricaneWarty

HurricaneWarty New Member

I've registered as well. One question though - it says on the league page the draft is Friday the 17th but you posted it is the 16th. Is it for sure the 16th, because I know if it's the 17th then I would be unable to make it.

17. ToysRUsKid

ToysRUsKid Active Member

Any chance of moving it to the weekend? *saturday*

18. Cheater Hater

Cheater Hater New Member

The draft time is not set in stone at all. Currently it is Thursday at 7:30 EDT (thank you for reminding me to change it), but that seems all but certain to change. (most likely to next week, now that a lot of times have opened up).
    If you join the league, please post your team name and draft preference in this topic.
    Team Name--------Pokegym Name-------Confirmed Final Time

Xatu-------------Cheater Hater------Yes
    Gridiron Greats--Hurricane Warty----Yes
    Ruiner-----------ToysRUsKid---------Wants Saturday/Weekend (No?)
    The Indian-------hinduplaya---------Evening, not this Saturday (Yes?)
    Plusle and Minun-Dendrobatida-------After 9 PM EDT (Yes?)
    The Moonanites---clement30----------Weekdays, 7-8 PM EDT (No?)
    Lovie's Firm...--bullados-----------Yes (No?)
    Play To Win...---Pidgeotto Trainer--Yes
    BLiZzArD---------BLiZzArD-----------evenings WCT Weekends (No?)
    T-Tar------------empoleonperson-----Unknown (hopefully?)
    Please try to fill in any unknowns in the table.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  19. clement30

clement30 New Member

Team Moonanite-Clement30-Weekdays at 7-8pm Eastern time

20. hinduplaya

hinduplaya New Member

The Indian- anythime before the 26th, not this sat, and in the evening