Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Magazines?

PokemansForGeeks

I remember the old pokemon magazines I used to read as a kid that had tournament reports, articles, etc. Do they still exist? Or is there a lack of interest for them that killed them?

It was mostly lack of interest, but why have magazines if you could get news instantly over the internet. A bunch of magazines have closed up shop because they can't keep up.

Yea, that is true. But somehow I still love having something tangible to read. Like for instance, I subscribe to Automobile, Motor Trend, and Project Car. I could easily read the articles on the internet but for some reason sitting down on the couch reading a magazine seems a lot more fulfilling to me.

Guess I'm weird though ;/

But I would love to have a magazine about strategy and current new. Beckett seems like it's for the more "casual" fan.

How would you guys feel about having a magazine dedicated to current strategy, tourneys, etc?

I read a lot of old pojo's unofficial all the time, too. And honestly I like flipping through pages too. I just think it's unfeasible the way the market seems to be going. I can't stand beckett pokemon collector, it's just not focused on the competitive player enough. Scrye used to have articles written by Matt Moss, but most of the rest of their writers were awful, breaking deck building rules like running more than 4 of a specific card in their deck.

I buy Pokemon World. Its a UK magazine, so I don't know how easy it is to get in America. However it has 3 double pages dedicated to pokemon op at the back and articles from English events ( There was a picture of me in the last issue ).90% is relevant to international readers, its worth a read.

So it looks like there is a fair amount of interest in a competitive Pokemon TCG magazine. Anyone have any suggestions for what you'd like to see?

Also, check out my signature :)

The Magazine your most likely talking about is TopDeck. I don't think it is still in print, and the fact that it was produced by WOTC means that it would no longer cover Pokemon even if it was still around. It had a LOT of info back when the game started and usually released info that you couldn't get elsewhere but since the game isn't part of WOTC that isn't true anymore.

As far as good Pokemon magazines yes there is Beckett, but it isn't that helpful as most of the stuff in it is common knowledge. I also know that Scrye does what you say as well but they don't have anything in there Magazine for Pokemon except the price guide lately. I think the best place to get what your asking is actually here on the Pokegym as it has everything your asking for pretty much except the ability to be taken where you travel if you don't have internet.

Hope that helps,

Drew

The only one that comes to mind is Pokemon World. It has some pages dedicated to the TCG, and it has some in depth reviews. However 1/2 of it is filled with childlish stuff.

Nope :( I'm in the one out atm, at the OP article at the back.

Ok thought you were, was going to say "Nice Job"....:thumb:

Have an ideal if you're interested.. Why not find out how many people would be interested in getting the magazine and set up selling service (They pay for a years substription and you buy them from the newsstand each month and send them to them) Nice way to make a little extra cash. Just a thought...:biggrin:

That sounds like the sort of thing I would do, and the exchange rate works in my favour. The magazines £4 plus I would have to charge a profit and P+P. I would do it but it may become like $10 per magazine?

Thanks for the idea - I'll look into it :)

Beckett's Pokemon Magazine is utter garbage. I just buy it to laugh at the articles that suggest you run 4 potion and only 12 trainers total.

I'm currently in the process of publishing a fanzine/newsletter/magazine dedicated to competitive play right now. PM me if you're interested in it guys. I plan on setting up a website for it pretty soon as well.

PS - thank you for the correct term PokePop.

Ok thought you were, was going to say "Nice Job"....:thumb:

Have an ideal if you're interested.. Why not find out how many people would be interested in getting the magazine and set up selling service (They pay for a years substription and you buy them from the newsstand each month and send them to them) Nice way to make a little extra cash. Just a thought...:biggrin:

Don't you guys remember there was an online magazine last year, it was thetopcut.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Beckett's Pokemon Magazine is utter garbage. I just buy it to laugh at the articles that suggest you run 4 potion and only 12 trainers total.

That's up from 28 energy and 10 trainers, if you still remember the old days.

Last edited:
Nah - the purpose of this thread was to see if there were any magazines out there and to see if there was a public interest in them, while also discussing what's included, content, etc.

Back