Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Powers: Dark, Metal, and Normal

dkates

Unown D, M, and N, which have the nearly identical Pokemon Powers listed above, each say for a different type, "If a <this type> Pokemon damages one of your Pokemon, reduce that damage by 30 (after applying Weakness and Resistance.) Under Wizards rules, this was interpreted to include damage caused by one of your own Pokemon of that type. However, I am now hearing that this has been re-interpreted, and only refers to your opponent's Pokemon damaging yours. Is this true? It can affect a number of different deck strategies. Assume that no other effect is canceling the Power. For example, I am using Base Chansey's Double-Edge, and I have Unown N in play. Would Chansey end up damaging itself for 50 (80-30, per Unown N's Power) or the original 80?

To the best of my knowledge this has NOT been re-interpreted, and certainly not by the folks at Nintendo/PUI since they are not in the habit of making rulings on the older WOTC-produced cards unless they interact specifically with new cards or game rules.

The text on the Unown cards have not been changed so in my opinion it would continue to reduce self-damage just as it has done in the past.

My $0.02,
- CHRISBO, Team Compendium

Back