Pokemon Professors?

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by Professor_Chris, Mar 14, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Professor_Chris

Professor_Chris Active Member

Alright, I know I've been out of the loop for quite some time now...but I've heard some talk about Pokemon Professors...last I saw on the Pokemon TCG website...there are no professors right now...no test, no nothing. I used to be a Professor and I want to be one again. I thought it was really odd how on the reporting form for the City Championship they asked how many Professors helped when there aren't any (to my knowledge) right now. If anyone who can clear up my confusion...I'd be greatly appreciative. Also, if you know a bit about PTOs and the such please check out my previous thread.

2. Marcello-Milord

Marcello-Milord New Member

Actually, the only Professors out there are the Granfathered Professors, aka some people that were Profs with WoTC that have submitted an application before a certain date. These people (like me) have been confirmed as Professors. All the others have to wait for the test, composed by questions written by the Granfathered Profs.
    Our question is: When the Professor Program will be up and running?
    It seems that it's the last priority for PUI.

3. Professor_Chris

Professor_Chris Active Member

Ah~ I see...too bad I missed that date...oh well..passed it once...I'll pass it again...all thats left is to wait for the test to be up. Also, why don't they have the grandfathered Professors up on the Professor list? Speaking of which...the website has some major database issues.

4. Marcello-Milord

Marcello-Milord New Member

Ya the list was online some time ago... Now it seems there's an "error" or something similar... that for me is not an error :\

5. Tahna

Tahna New Member

They took the list offline due to an increased spam-count for those on it (ie. we were being spammed to death) If you send an e-mail to Organized play or tournaments, I'm sure explaining your situation, I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

6. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

Tournament Organizers do not have access to the list. What is the reason the TOs cant see the list if they are signed in? I doubt that complaints about spam was the reason it was removed and if it was, it was a stupid reason to remove contacts to judges/organizers. Everyone on the internet has spam and if a couple of idiots complained about clicking the delete key two or three times a day, they should have fun if they opened up my old @pojo account. =/
    -Phil

7. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I think it had to do with Coppa concerns. Not concerns about Profs being underage, they can't be, but of underage kids contacting Profs.

Of course a list available only to TOs would get past that issue even.

8. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

COPPA?? So PUI think that grandfathered professors are potential paedophiles!!!! good grief! Now I know why they wont talk to us.

9. GreatFox

GreatFox New Member

No, its cause acording to COPPA, any email we get from someone that got our email from that list we have to treat it as if it were from a kid. And in doing so, we have to immediately delete the original and reply (if any) after eaither opening it or replying to it. Since PUI can't really enforce that, it was a minor problem.

Secondly, there was the whole privacy laws issues and email collection bots. The collection bots shouldn't be too much of a problem as they can just simply encode the email addys so they can't read them. But privacy laws was a different thing. Especially for the European Professors since Europe's privacy laws are a lot more stricter than here in the US.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  10. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

This is all BULL if WotC can find a way round it for MtG given the ages of players there then so could PUI .. it's the willingness to address the supposed issues that are the problem not the issues themselves.

There are fixes it is all a matter of effort and before someone goes they have been busy it is these small details that will cause the BIG TOURNEYS to fail. No Leagues No Feeders for Tourneys, No Professor Programme, No upcoming judges and no JUDGES for your BIG TOURNEYS.

11. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

I've read COPPA.. I can't say I fully understand it all but it seems like reasonable legislation to me and should have no impact whatsoever upon publishing the Professor list.

COPPA=COP OUT?

ref http://www.ftc.gov/privacy/coppafaqs.htm#teen

note that if the website does not collect personal information then COPPA does not apply.

I don't know the status of the legislation but there certainly was a proposal to extend COPPA to those above the age of 13 too.

Yes the UK's DataProtection Act is much more draconian: it catches just about any activity that involves electronic data. I definately don't understand the UK legislation though I do understand the intent.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  12. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I agree with you. It seems to be a lawyer being over-cautious.
    Remember when WotC's lawyers wanted to collect Social Security numbers for the Happy Birthday Pikachu Giveaway because it was "worth hundreds of dollars"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.