Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Programers are ruining new games compared to the older ones.

pika5998

:pokeball: I think the new games suck compared to the original games, like Pkmn Yellow was awesome! The new pokedex's are hard to keep up with. (All these new pokemon are making it hard to remember what a Xatu is.) Every time i play Pokemon Ruby or Leaf Green i have to look at my pokedex book to see what the pokemon can do :nonono: tell me im right about that, at least. And the new items, like the berries. As soon as i got a weird looking berry that tells me if my pokemon holds it, water power is weakened. It's even harder for me to remember the name as much as trying to remember what it does- These are easier and MORE OLD: Pecha Berry; Heals Poison, Oran Berry; Heals 10 HP of your Pokemon, Leppa Berry, Etc. Some of it is cool, some of it isnt, but i still like the old games. Tell me what YOU think of the new games compared to the old and some contrasts and comparisons u like/dont like.

You're a little late to the punch if you're complaining about Xatu.

But to get on topic, I think the bigger the pokeverse is the better. So what if it becomes overwhelming? That just means there's that much to forget and relove.

Pokemon won't stay in business if it doesn't make new pokemon.

Face it, they always will, so why not embrace it, instead of hate it? You'll be much happier. ;)

the problem is that the games need to be streamlined and simplified. They add so many variables and items, and things to keep track of, you forget its a game for children.

Exactly why I stopped playing the video game. I maxed out the hours on Pokemon Blue because I loved it so much...it didn't have so many variables and "cool/timid/tough" ratings and all these dumb things. It was simple and fun.

Exactly why I stopped playing the video game. I maxed out the hours on Pokemon Blue because I loved it so much...it didn't have so many variables and "cool/timid/tough" ratings and all these dumb things. It was simple and fun.

There's nothing that says you have to pay attention to all that stuff. Sure, it and EV and all that junk matter if you want to play competitively. But I never do, so I just completely ignore all that and still enjoy the new games just fine.

I understand....but this new generation/3D looking gaming is just over-the-top for me. I guess I just love the old style of it.

I half agree and half don't, i adore the old pokemon games and wish i could play them on my dsi but i like all the new pokemon, all im mad about is that the pokedex and keeping track of your items and stuff is way more complicated than it was in the old games. So i love both, but i'm still ready for pokemon to move over to the next generation because pokemon would be boring if they didn't come out with new pokemon every couple of years.

It isn't really that hard to keep up with, you don't need to know the names of the items, only what they do. I play competitively to an extent, so I know that it isn't too hard. I.e, the power reducing berries. Nintendo wouldn't make one without making the other 16, so just remember that there's one berry for each type and you'll do fine.

As for adding more Pokemon, I kinda agree here. I think that 493+ is too many, but they won't make money and stay in business unless they keep creating more and putting them out as new cards and video games.

here..here I'm so with oyu about that , I use to love hunting down pokemon to fill my pokedex and boxes , now it's like a waste of time . If you see it it count as if you caught it?! really?!! the only thing if any worth buying another game is the the story. just write a book and save me$ 35.00 dollars

The two things I hate about this game are also two things that have been in the game since the beginning.

1) the 2x2 square grid you have to walk on. There is no free-roaming like there is in virtually every other RPG out there (read: FF, DQ). This needs to GO AWAY, and it needs to be gone ASAP. I like moving diagonally, and I like being able to skate around various objects not really knowing if I can or not. The restrictive movement is frustrating to me.

2) GIMME A STORY!!! Platinum was about as close as we've gotten to having something resembling a fully fledged and complete story. And it pales in comparison to even Super Mario RPG or any of the Dragon Quest games. Heck, the original Final Fantasy has a better storyline than any traditional Pokemon RPG ever made for a portable system.

Do whatever else you want with the game, just give me those two things and I'm a happy kid.

See, for me as a competitive player more than playing for the story, they need to BALANCE the Pokemon to make everything usable. Weather it be giving the Pokemon an evolution to increase their lack-luster stats, or increasing a Pokemon's move pool to have attacks that will take advantage of the stats it already has.

I am fine if they introduce more Pokemon, as long as they are not continuing the trend of making the new pokemon more powerful.

See, for me as a competitive player more than playing for the story, they need to BALANCE the Pokemon to make everything usable. Weather it be giving the Pokemon an evolution to increase their lack-luster stats, or increasing a Pokemon's move pool to have attacks that will take advantage of the stats it already has.

I am fine if they introduce more Pokemon, as long as they are not continuing the trend of making the new pokemon more powerful.

Well, some Pokemon like Farfetch'd will always be there as an annoyance... :thumb:

But I'm rather excited about the assumed Dragon/Electric type, that is my favorite type after all. No, it isn't because of Pikachu, it just is.

2) GIMME A STORY!!! Platinum was about as close as we've gotten to having something resembling a fully fledged and complete story. And it pales in comparison to even Super Mario RPG or any of the Dragon Quest games. Heck, the original Final Fantasy has a better storyline than any traditional Pokemon RPG ever made for a portable system.

Amen. PBR was really a disappointment for me because, even after Orre where they actually had a decent plot and motivations, they decided that straight tournament battles with no depth was better. Sure, the wifi battles were good and some of the tournaments were challenging, but it would have been so easy to add some depth to it.

For me personally, I liked it when the old villains were actually bad. I mean, Team Rocket's motto was "Team Rocket will do anything for money." They killed Marowak and Cubone, and sold them for money. Quick thought; where did that Cubone in the Game Corner (pretty sure this is RYB not GSC) run by Team Rocket come from? They performed genetic experiments to create a killing machine. They are bad. Now we have teams with bigger goals but purer methods. Name something in the games that was blatantly criminal. They don't steal pokemon. Magma/Aqua stole a submarine. Sure, Cyrus tried to destroy the world, but what did the grunts do that was bad? They blew up a lake. While not good, not exactly the personification of evil either. Galactic is a bit of a cult, but that's creepy, not evil.

Cipher was the closest to beating the Rockets; who else held people hostage? And when it comes down to making Shadow Pokemon, I'm pretty sure "closed the door to their hearts" is a PG translation of "we psychologically and physically tortured them until they became void of all emotions except anger" (aka got rid of their positive emotions, metaphorically closing the door to their hearts).

While on plot (and stuck on rant mode), a real way of stopping the "evil" group would be nice. Because as nice as it might sound, if bringing Dialga/Palkia into the world is enough to trigger apocalypse, I don't think knocking them out and making them lose any control they might have had then using them to battle even more saves it. Also, that is not something your average 10-year old can do.

AAlso, that is not something your average 10-year old can do.

AAAANNND that is where black and white are coming in.

As for the Orre games - i loved how it was dark and dank. The only place that was "Nice" was Agate, the nursing home of old Pokemon trainers. The rest was desolate and run down. Then you have your multi-millionaire build Regalm tower to make it a tourist location. Very nice games, if only they could continue it.

AAAANNND that is where black and white are coming in.

As for the Orre games - i loved how it was dark and dank. The only place that was "Nice" was Agate, the nursing home of old Pokemon trainers. The rest was desolate and run down. Then you have your multi-millionaire build Regalm tower to make it a tourist location. Very nice games, if only they could continue it.

I hope when I get my degree for game design I can work with a team to make a good Pokemon game. There is so much I can give to it.

I hope when I get my degree for game design I can work with a team to make a good Pokemon game. There is so much I can give to it.

then you would have to go to game freak for a shot at it. I remember some guy wanted to see Dave Schwimmer at worlds this last year giving Dave his ideas of how the pokemon game should go. I do believe that letter got thrown away before Dave could see it.

If you are going to give opinions and ideas, go to the right people.

then you would have to go to game freak for a shot at it. I remember some guy wanted to see Dave Schwimmer at worlds this last year giving Dave his ideas of how the pokemon game should go. I do believe that letter got thrown away before Dave could see it.

If you are going to give opinions and ideas, go to the right people.

Ooooooor just rant about it on Pokegym and hope someone with an 'in' connection reads it eventually. :biggrin:

I'd have to agree about the storyline, though. they're starting to seem a bit fractured to me.

Morning: Wut? You want me to catch pokemon for you? Sure, lolz, I'll get right on that. But in the meantime, I must get all the gym badges! GYM! GYM! GYM! GYM! GYM! GYM! GYM!

Afternoon: Ooh, you're bad guys! Let's ignore my previous purpose in life and make it all about defeating you instead! Because I'm absolutely certain that I should be a vigilante and take you down myself rather than go through the proper channels and notify Officer Jenny. Nevermind that in real life this is a VERY BAD thing to do and could get you arrested along with the bad guys. Pokemon trainers are immune from the law as long as they don't abuse their pokemon, right?

Night: Hmm, bad guys defeated. There went the only shred of plot in the game.... GYM!

Amen. PBR was really a disappointment for me because, even after Orre where they actually had a decent plot and motivations, they decided that straight tournament battles with no depth was better. Sure, the wifi battles were good and some of the tournaments were challenging, but it would have been so easy to add some depth to it.

For me personally, I liked it when the old villains were actually bad. I mean, Team Rocket's motto was "Team Rocket will do anything for money." They killed Marowak and Cubone, and sold them for money. Quick thought; where did that Cubone in the Game Corner (pretty sure this is RYB not GSC) run by Team Rocket come from? They performed genetic experiments to create a killing machine. They are bad. Now we have teams with bigger goals but purer methods. Name something in the games that was blatantly criminal. They don't steal pokemon. Magma/Aqua stole a submarine. Sure, Cyrus tried to destroy the world, but what did the grunts do that was bad? They blew up a lake. While not good, not exactly the personification of evil either. Galactic is a bit of a cult, but that's creepy, not evil.

Cipher was the closest to beating the Rockets; who else held people hostage? And when it comes down to making Shadow Pokemon, I'm pretty sure "closed the door to their hearts" is a PG translation of "we psychologically and physically tortured them until they became void of all emotions except anger" (aka got rid of their positive emotions, metaphorically closing the door to their hearts).

While on plot (and stuck on rant mode), a real way of stopping the "evil" group would be nice. Because as nice as it might sound, if bringing Dialga/Palkia into the world is enough to trigger apocalypse, I don't think knocking them out and making them lose any control they might have had then using them to battle even more saves it. Also, that is not something your average 10-year old can do.
Imo, PBR was more of a letdown because it sounded more like Stadium (with mini games and the like), when instead it just introduced more crappy Battle Frontier-esq fighting with reused Gamecube graphics.

I also agree more "evil" villains would be nice, and with the concept of older trainers in Black/White, hopefully it will lead more into that direction as well.

Also, I honestly don't mind the limited movement; one of the things in fact that I dislike with the more modern RPGs are that they feel even more like action games, they really lose touch with what I think were the little things that made older RPGs more enjoyable.

Also, I seriously doubt the original FF has a better story then any Pokemon RPG (come on, you kill Garland, fight 4 fiends, then discover it's all part of some lame time loop plot? Right...), but I also agree a more bigger story would be nice. As long as it doesn't involve a trio of lame villains trying to steal an electric mouse every 5 seconds (which btw ruined the anime).

The difference is that Square evolved the FF storyline from the original game. FF2 had a fantastically campy line. FF3 went back to basics but was a classically tough game. FF4 set the gold standard for 2-dimensional storytelling. When was the last time Pokemon tried evolving the basic plot of their games? Oh yeah. And the original FF storyline is still superior to any Pokemon storyline outside of the Colosseum series.

Back