Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

POP got cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drmario

Pokemon TCG tournament attendance has been getting higher every year for a while now (if tourneys in MD and Nats are anything to go by). Plus the number of dedicated players has grown, since many people who go to Nats have to travel for it. For some inexplicable reason POP has responded by cutting prizes at many tournaments this season.
My little brother won a CC last year and then won another won last week. The one he won last February he got a bag, a hat, a medal, a binder and 18 boosters for 1st place. The one he won last week he got a binder, a medal (smaller and cheaper looking than the other one) and 18 boosters. Why didn't POP at least give us a few more boosters as prizes if they chose to cut back on the other ones? Is this really how POP has chosen to reward their players? It seems like a pretty poor way to me.

Yeah, they don't give a lot. But remember, its FREE and FUN. That is more important to me than getting a few extra boosters.

What do you expect? This isn't Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, or World of Warcraft it's Pokemon. This is what happens when they don't charge anything to play in there premier events now maybe if they charged 2 or 3 bucks a person (you know nothing too high) we could get better prizes and I don't think anyone would have a problem paying that since most leages charge a $1 per day to play.

Um... They are FREE prizes. If it's free= Don't complain.
Nothing is free! Does everyone always forget you have to buy cards to build a deck to play?

Um... They are FREE prizes. If it's free= Don't complain.
FREE!!!! It is not free. You pay ridiculous amounts of money for little pieces of cardboard with stuff printed on it. I know they put money into R&D but the actually printing cost is low. POP has the tournaments so people have a place to use the cards that they bought. They do make money off of it, just in a roundabout way. Besides POP's only expense is prizes since the TO's and judges are all volunteers.
Battle roads were only decent prizes because Aardvarks more than doubled the boosters:clap:

FREE!!!! It is not free. You pay ridiculous amounts of money for little pieces of cardboard with stuff printed on it. I know they put money into R&D but the actually printing cost is low. POP has the tournaments so people have a place to use the cards that they bought. They do make money off of it, just in a roundabout way. Besides POP's only expense is prizes since the TO's and judges are all volunteers.
Battle roads were only decent prizes because Aardvarks more than doubled the boosters:clap:

and collectors and people who dont play comeptitively also spend money on their cards.

The prizes are a bonus- you get a title, some ranking points and half a box for an average sized tournament- that sounds fair, and you did just get 18 bonus boosters and some other cool stuff.

You were supposed to get bags for the winners. Another DF deckbox issue it appears, ergo no bag. When you plan on XYZ being in the prizes, OP cannot just whip up a replacement at the last second.

So DrMario, you owe PUI and OP an apology. Maybe it would pay to email them 1st if you have a question, complaint, etc. instead of a public thrashing.

Keith

Actually, I think you guys are wrong.

As a customer and a consumer he has every single right to complain. However, it is HOW you do it and what you are complaining about that make the difference.

For starters, you should try contacting POP with this first. If they do not reply, then make a thread about it.

And as for WHAT you are complaining about, as you are a customer and a consumer of POP and PUI you have every right to moan and complain. Providing it is not something small and you are complaining for the heck of it...

But you have every right to be complaining about this =]

What do you expect? This isn't Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, or World of Warcraft it's Pokemon. This is what happens when they don't charge anything to play in there premier events now maybe if they charged 2 or 3 bucks a person (you know nothing too high) we could get better prizes and I don't think anyone would have a problem paying that since most leages charge a $1 per day to play.

Source?

so how does the number of events this year compare to the number last year? more events = more OP $ spent, yes?

and no, 'most leagues' do not charge a fee: i've done league since the wotc days and have never paid/charged for league play.

'mom

Well then don't go to cities, and wait for the larger tournaments such as States, Regionals, Nationals or Worlds. I'm pretty sure you get more prizes there.:lol:

Why do you need to compare to its previous year? I mean getting 18 boasters some record points and a medal is pretty cool for being better then about only 20 players...

You were supposed to get bags for the winners. Another DF deckbox issue it appears, ergo no bag. When you plan on XYZ being in the prizes, OP cannot just whip up a replacement at the last second.

So DrMario, you owe PUI and OP an apology. Maybe it would pay to email them 1st if you have a question, complaint, etc. instead of a public thrashing.

Keith

wrong! I do not owe them any apology. I have not emailed them yet, however I did not say if I had or not so you cannot assume that I did not do it. Secondly I am planning on emailing them. The last time I sent an email about the tournments I received one of the snottiest replies I have ever gotten.
I do realize that tournaments are free and that prizes are extras, however cutting the prizes when attendance is up does not make much sense.

Last I heard prizes for regionals are being cut too.

Yes more tournies means more money spent, but like I said there have been more people playing which=more cards sold

Last edited:
POP did not get cheap. People are just getting greedy. The more you give some people the more they want.

No one forces us as consumers to buy their products. Just look at anything you buy. The prices are up or the size of the product is down. Or both.

If they left the prizes they way they were and started charging for tournaments you would have people complaining about that and saying since they are charging now they should up the prize support.

Also prizes are not the only expense.

Do they get the venues for free? No

Do they get the products sent to the proper places for free? No

Do they get free travel to the events they run? No

Not to sure about the TO's being free since i am not one. But i do know that they would not run the events at a loss. Would anyone?

Judges are not always free. I judge our local tourneys and know that the support comes out of the TO's own pocket for those. I have even told our TO that if he can not afford to give anything for me judging it is no big deal but i also let him know that anything he gives me out is greatly appreciated.

I have judged at GENCON for the last three years and i know for a fact that those judges are not free.

I am not singling anyone out but people need to ask themselves what they can do to help and advance the game not what and how much they can get out of it.

Last edited:
Isn't the bottom line here that we should be thankful that winners and high placers get anything at all? I mean, 18 packs alone is quite a prize (almost $72 worth of merchandise right there...). I think paying too much attention to the prize count (Gengar ex...) strays too far away from the SOTG, which I firmly believe in.

most venues tournaments are held in are free. Games stores don't charge since it brings in customers.

If you are going to say that judges expend money on travel then I can say that tourneys cost money too. Aftercall we players have to trave too.

magic is worse
plz dont complain
the free events at mtg u get a foil promo card worth nothing
pokemon u get almost 100$ worth in merchandise

most venues tournaments are held in are free. Games stores don't charge since it brings in customers.

If you are going to say that judges expend money on travel then I can say that tourneys cost money too. Aftercall we players have to trave too.

Ummm, no (unless the TO is also a store owner). I feel it is extremely important that my judges and venues are well comped for my events. Please don't make statements that you are not qualified to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back