Private Cash Tourney at Origins - Fri Nite $200 top prize

Discussion in 'Archive' started by meganium45, Mar 8, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

OK, I usually hold these annually in the St. Louis area, but let's do one on a national scale - the event - $200.00 cash tourney to be held at Origins on Friday night - the night before the Nationals. What a great event to test your deck out and put some cash in your pocket.

Modified Format (whatever we are using for Nationals)

Here is the deal - depending on the number of participants - usually 4-5 rounds of age-modified swiss, cut to a top 8 for the money rounds.

If there are at least 10 players, top prize is $200.00

I usually expect between 30-40 at our events in St. Louis - so I will assume we will get at least 40 at Origins.

If there are 40 players....

1st prize will be $300.00
    2nd prize will be $100.00
    3rd prize will be $50.00
    4th prize will be $50.00
    5th-8th will be $25.00 each

bonus $50.00 to the top 10- finisher
    bonus $50.00 to the top 11-14 finisher

The remaining $100.00 will be dedicated to snacks and drink for all participants.....long night.

Hopefully we can have this at the hall in origins, or else I will get creative - no tickets to buy, just show and play. (After you pay me $20, otay!) I will see if I can get Nintendo to kick in some "losers prizes"

Goal is to start at 6:00 p.m., if we have 40, we should finish about 11:00 at night. Then off to sleep

Let me know what you all think......Needless to say, I will HJ.

Meganium45

2. Adv1sor

Adv1sor New Member

I think it sounds like a lot of fun, but I don't want to stay up that late the night before Nationals.

How about doing this on Thursday or Saturday night instead?

3. DaytonGymLeader

DaytonGymLeader New Member

Get creative now. I seriously doubt that hall space will be available.

4. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

Hall space is always available, especially in the evenings. Doesnt look like a lot of Poke Events are going on. I will not be there on Thursday, and Saturday, well, that is a distinct possibility...

I want to hear all thoughts and ideas....let me know if we should look at this, for if not, it will not hurt my feelings.

M45

5. Dayton_Pokémom

Dayton_Pokémom New Member

It's not a matter of there being "space" it's a matter of space that you are allowed to use. The space in the hall is managed and controlled if someone takes it upon themselves to run an event they will be asked to leave, it has happened before.

6. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

thanks 'mom.

I just remember from last year there were several impromptu events we participated in, such as IPGeeks draft that lasted until 4AM.

M45

7. Bigpoppabeatdown

Bigpoppabeatdown New Member

well if u have it before the nationals event, i'd suggest not using modified format vince.......

most people wouldn't want to show off their deck and play against everyone for a non-sanctioned tourney.......

possibly a "limited" unlimited format.....

how about unlimited but slowking and sneasel are still banned?

or straight unlimited, but i think that some would be sick of modified by then

8. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

No, I hate unlimited as a stale, boring format. I am still using, as are my kids, the same decks we used two years ago WITHOUT CHANGING A CARD!!!

They still win and dominate, so why change them?

I will run an unlimited tourney, the day....the day PUSA pays me to....

What does that make me? Go ahead, say it, I dare you....

M45

9. DaytonGymLeader

DaytonGymLeader New Member

The events that were run at GenCon were allowed by WotC (because GenCon was the las big hurrah for them and this game, they just wanted the players to be as happy as possible). There's politics involved in Origins this year that are really going to have people crossing T's and dotting I's. I wouldn't count on the availablility of space in the TCG Hall. Space outside of the halls is another story, there's plenty of it. There's a vestibule that links the convention center with the Food Court that has a bunch of tables that are there for this kind of thing.

10. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

Thanks Steve....just trying to see if we can make this a go!

M45

11. Bigpoppabeatdown

Bigpoppabeatdown New Member

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

bad vince, bad!!!

12. Rocketman

Rocketman New Member

We did a booster draft with nintendo product at gen con, and WOTC made us move because they "paid" for the space we were using. So it is with all the gaming space in the CCG hall, unless some game like L5R is totally empty , we could use that spot, and someone may still ask us to move. They have tables in the hall outside the gaming areas, I have seen many people use them, plus the hall itself is huge, and yes, the vestibule by the food court is also a good spot, most likely the best. I also agree that modified is the way to go, for all the reasons Meg 45 has said. Count us for 2, maybe 3 spots from Team Rocket.
    Rocketman

13. I did have plans that night but i can cancel one event for this great oppurtunity. You can count me in on the fun :D It seems like it will be a fun and crazy night.

Ohhh if you need snacks or any stuff for it there is a place called north market which is only 1 block north of the center. I dont have the adress but i went there last year to get some food for on the go events.