Professor Oak's Research

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by WeileMom, Feb 6, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. WeileMom

WeileMom New Member

I hope this is the right place to ask this!
    I've noticed that most decks include 4 Professor Oak's Research trainers, however we have yet to find even one of these cards in a pack! Very frustrating. :mad:
    Anyway, my question is, what is a good substitute for this card? What is it really meant to do for your deck?
    Thanks for any help! :D
    ---Nicole
    WeileMom

Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  2. dkates

dkates New Member

Well, the best substitutes for Oak's Research are probably Desert Shaman and Copycat. The idea of Oak's Research is to change out your hand for a new one.

3. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

POR is a supporter which has you shuffle your hand into your deck, and draw 5 new cards.

Desert Shaman is a supporter which has you shuffle your hand into your deck, and draw up to 4 cards (you may draw between 0 and 4). Your opponent does the same (wicked hand disruption ;)).

Copycat is a supporter which has you shuffle your hand into your deck, then draw as many cards from your deck as your opponent is holding in their hand. Draw size will fluctuate from 1 to 20, depending (obviously) on how big a hand your opponent has.

All three puts your hand back into your deck (sometimes very necessary to reduce hand size).

Other draw cards:

Juggler (discard 1 or 2 basic energy cards, then draw 3 or 5 cards from your deck) [supporter]

(there are more, I've just gone blank at the moment)

4. SlimeyGrimey

SlimeyGrimey New Member

TV Reporter
    Oracle
    Professor Birch

And other, less useful ones:

Bill's Maintenance
    Forest Gaurdian

5. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Buy the Xatu Starter deck from Skyridge, it contains 2 POR in them.... the Eevee one might too, but I know that Xatu deffinitely does.

Other than that, use either Shaman or Copycat.

6. Dro~

Dro~ New Member

I might as well ask here. Which theme decks have copycats?

7. Dek

Dek New Member

The one with the Copycat trainer card is the Echo theme deck from Expedition

As many have already said, some good subsitutes for Professor Oak's Research would be the following:
    Copycat
    Juggler
    Desert Shaman
    TV Reporter

However, if you want to get complicated, one idea would be Oracle + Delcatty if you plan to go to City Championships (the Delcatty im talking about is from the expansion EX: Ruby and Saphire)

8. SlimeyGrimey

SlimeyGrimey New Member

Electric Garden from expedition also has Copycats

9. duanojo

duanojo New Member

The Aquapolis theme deck with Ninetales, "Abyss," has Oaks Research, Juggler, and Forest Guardian. The Skyridge theme deck with Xatu, "Mind Machine" also has 2 Oracles in it. If you can find these, they've probably been discounted, so it's a good value. I got "Abyss" last night for $5.