Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Professor Oak's Research

WeileMom

I hope this is the right place to ask this!
I've noticed that most decks include 4 Professor Oak's Research trainers, however we have yet to find even one of these cards in a pack! Very frustrating. :mad:
Anyway, my question is, what is a good substitute for this card? What is it really meant to do for your deck?
Thanks for any help! :D
---Nicole
WeileMom

Last edited:
Well, the best substitutes for Oak's Research are probably Desert Shaman and Copycat. The idea of Oak's Research is to change out your hand for a new one.

POR is a supporter which has you shuffle your hand into your deck, and draw 5 new cards.

Desert Shaman is a supporter which has you shuffle your hand into your deck, and draw up to 4 cards (you may draw between 0 and 4). Your opponent does the same (wicked hand disruption ;)).

Copycat is a supporter which has you shuffle your hand into your deck, then draw as many cards from your deck as your opponent is holding in their hand. Draw size will fluctuate from 1 to 20, depending (obviously) on how big a hand your opponent has.

All three puts your hand back into your deck (sometimes very necessary to reduce hand size).

Other draw cards:

Juggler (discard 1 or 2 basic energy cards, then draw 3 or 5 cards from your deck) [supporter]

(there are more, I've just gone blank at the moment)

Last edited:
RainbowRichards said:
Other draw cards:

Juggler (discard 1 or 2 basic energy cards, then draw 3 or 5 cards from your deck) [supporter]

(there are more, I've just gone blank at the moment)
TV Reporter
Oracle
Professor Birch

And other, less useful ones:

Bill's Maintenance
Forest Gaurdian

Buy the Xatu Starter deck from Skyridge, it contains 2 POR in them.... the Eevee one might too, but I know that Xatu deffinitely does.

Other than that, use either Shaman or Copycat.

The one with the Copycat trainer card is the Echo theme deck from Expedition

As many have already said, some good subsitutes for Professor Oak's Research would be the following:
Copycat
Juggler
Desert Shaman
TV Reporter

However, if you want to get complicated, one idea would be Oracle + Delcatty if you plan to go to City Championships (the Delcatty im talking about is from the expansion EX: Ruby and Saphire)

The Aquapolis theme deck with Ninetales, "Abyss," has Oaks Research, Juggler, and Forest Guardian. The Skyridge theme deck with Xatu, "Mind Machine" also has 2 Oracles in it. If you can find these, they've probably been discounted, so it's a good value. I got "Abyss" last night for $5.

Back